js-1000 big trouble - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

js-1000 big trouble

Right, so a couple of weeks ago I spend a small fortune on a new JS-1000. Terrific guitar, sounds wild but....
Ibanez should be kicked in the butt for their below crap factory setup. I've been working on it day after day, and I can't get it right. Strings to low, buzz. To high, plays crap. Intonation is way off. Edge is standing up, but the spring screws can't go any further into the body. I can't get the dammed thing tuned..... It's hopeless.
When I first got it, the edge layed way back in to the body, I couldn't pull up.
I'm beyond fustrated with this, if I can't get it right, it goes back, and it's exit Ibanez for me. I want to play, not spend the first year setting it up.
It would be a big shame, the pu's sounds great and the neck feels awesome. But it still is horrably out of tune.
Now I need to spend more money to get a pro to set it up. I hate this.
Sorry for my rant here, but I'm really p'd off right now.
Is this normal Ibanez practice?
Thnx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Vendor

js-1000 big trouble

You've tweaked with it to the point you've got it worse. *Springs don't like that. Let it sit for 24 hours then start again using the tech section. If you changed string gauges that changes everything also. Your dealer was supposed to set it up, you get what you pay for, or don't pay for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 01:42 AM

js-1000 big trouble

I'd rather pay $50 less and set it up myself
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 01:58 AM

js-1000 big trouble

Could you not take it back to the guitar shop where you bought it and explain the situation. They may set it up for you. It might be worth a try?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 10:59 AM

js-1000 big trouble

I agree with all the above. The store should deffinately set it up for you, most should do it for free (read: in the sale price) once.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 04:48 AM

js-1000 big trouble

I bought a JS100 back in October and have had problems as well but I bought online. Big Mistake! Especially since I am overseas. Now mine is sitting in the corner waiting to go to the shop for a complete set up to fix everything. Point of this message......Don't buy online, and for now on I'm always making sure it's setup how I want it or it's staying in the shop for some other poor soul who doesn't know any *better to get taken advantage of!! *

Sorry your having all these problems but I promise you'll get it right and when you do it will be well worth the money!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

js-1000 big trouble

Thanks guys.
It's set up pretty descent now. It plays awesome!
Compared to my old RG, it's much easier playing. Less noise, *much beter sound. And somehow the guitar is more forgiving, you know. You can play pretty sloppy and still get great sound from it. I like the smaller frets. Great guitar.
And although the neck is thicker than a wizzard, it plays faster. Even for me, with my (too) small hands.
Me happy..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 04:42 AM

js-1000 big trouble

Cool I'm glad to hear things are working out!! Have fun!!

Tags
guitar shop , string gauges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode