JS 1000 dying - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
JS 1000 dying

I had problems with my JS staying in tune.I wasnt worried since it had been a while since I took it to a tech to set her up...and here is where my nightmare began.

I took my lovely guitar to 4 TECHS...FOUR!!!TECHS!!AND ALL OF THEM!ALL OF THEM!Destroyed my lovely guitar!I payd almost 120 Euros for a just a f***g simple low action high set up...that's all!And JS can handle low action without even touching the truss rod...WHAT CAN YOU POSSIBLY DO WRONG!I just gave it to them thinking "They are the guitar techs so they'll do the little details better than me"....

So I just wanted to share my frustration...my guitar is sitting next to me...almost dead...I'm way to scared to give it to ANY guitar tech and I would never try to set her up my self now since one of them decided to give the truss rod a twist...

They even "hurt" my e-B-G saddles and the strings snap now....one of them adjusted my EDGE PRO as it were a LOW PRO (not parallel but angled)....JESUS CHRIST!

I can't think of anything to do...help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: JS 1000 dying

I have found that alot of guitar techs don't know enough about Ibanez guitars to set them up properly. I found a guy here in San Antonio that does. Just call them all and ask 'em if they know the difference between an Ibanez and a regular Floyd. Good luck bro!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Reviews: 59

Relax and take a deep breath and never go back to those techs.

1. Strings breaking. Where and when do they break? Bridget or nut? Tuning up or heavy whammy abuse? Define how they hurt your saddles?
2. Truss rod adjustments are not rocket science and are definitely nothing to be afraid of. Go to www.ibanezrules.com and look at the tech page about them. Don't be scared to adjust your truss rod. Unless you do something extreme, you can always just twist it back...and it takes a lot of twisting to do something extreme.
Give us some more specific details and we'll see what we can do for you.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

1)He managed to create some light scars at the spot where the strings exit the saddles.Now when I bend e-B-G strings I can hear a "tik" sound coming from that spot.It's like a small cavity/scar where the strings fit in and when I bend them they come out of it, making the "tik" noise.No strings broke but they will sooner or later."snapping" was the wrong term.
2)I'm not that scared to turn my truss rod back but...where was it before??Does the truss rod come from the factory at a "zero" point and goes + or -?Or does it goe from "zero" to + and then back to "zero"?I hope I'm not confusing you.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM

If you read Rich's advice from Ibanezrules.com he says every guitarist should slacken the truss rod fully just to see that you aren't going to break your neck, then just adjust it quarter turn at a time until you have the desired relief. So long as you are not seeing any back bow you aren't doing any harm.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 59

So he scratched the saddles? The tik is coming from all three? and it's coming from the saddles? I'm not sure what would cause that, but if he messed up the intonation insert on the saddle, you pretty much need new saddles and I would make them pay for it.
As for your truss rod, there's no zero point. Check out around here what people do for how much relief they want in their neck and experiment. There isn't a right or wrong, it's what is comfortable to you and makes the guitar most playable. For low action, you will want a little relief. I like enough to slide a business card between the string and the 9th fret on the low E side, a little less on the hi E side.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 AM

Reviews: 21

If I had a clue what this poor guy was saying I'd try and help
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Hey Constantine,

dont do anything rash... or rush at trying to fix this quickly.... I would follow all the advice people have given you here. Particularly reading around on different websites about what it is to set up a guitar. Then go slowly and set yours up. It will take you a while but once you can do it yourself youll save yourself 1000's in tech fees and generally achieve better results...

In my 50+ guitar history I still have only ever played 1 guitar that was set up correctly when I got it and that was an RG7620VK from Jim777 here on jemsite. Some of these came from resellers, some from shops, some via techs and I havent encountered anyone except Jim who knew how to treat an Ibanez guitar.

So just to reiterate... learn from Rich's site and a wealth of other guitar sites out there and experiment, take your time and learn what effect you get from adjusting neck angle/truss rod/nut height/bridge height/etc and combinations of all of the above. Theres not much to learn!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM

If you want to save money.......you should be able to push out the "sustain chips" and reverse them - therefore getting rid of the "tik".............. its relatively common..........!

Otherwise i have the saddles in stock......

Max
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Had the same issue with my Js1000. I found a great tech out of Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester NH. After a set-up (ultra-low bridge setting), the guitar is amazing! Plays like a dream and stays in tune.
The tech suggesting locking down the 'up tremolo' motion via a shim.
IMO, this has helped maintain perfect tuning, and for me not much of a sacrifice. Bottom line, you need to find a tech that is familiar with the JS1000 and the JS style set up. Good luck.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfret View Post
Had the same issue with my Js1000. I found a great tech out of Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester NH.
Was the tech Doug McCormick?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Had the same issue with my Js1000. I found a great tech out of Daddy's Junky Music in Manchester NH. After a set-up (ultra-low bridge setting), the guitar is amazing! Plays like a dream and stays in tune.
IMO, this has helped maintain perfect tuning, and for me not much of a sacrifice. Bottom line, you need to find a tech that is familiar with the JS1000 and the JS style set up. Good luck.
I have also had great luck with Daddy's setups when I lived back east. On a Radius and a RG520, both jobs were really high level.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Vendor

Quote:
So to fix a tuning issue a "great tech" blocked the bridge from pull up? Instead of actually figuring out what the problem was, and then fixing it?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Lol if you cant fix it just block the trem!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:38 AM

The block trem up was merely a suggestion to maintain the best tuning going forward. Since I'm not much of a tech myself, I figured it was a good idea.
The overall setup was great, especially the neck. Toneboy, the tech's first name is Chris... didn't catch the last name.

Tags
js 1000 dying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode