JS 1200 Trem blockage/replacement options... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

JS 1200 Trem blockage/replacement options...

Hey there,

I have had my JS 1200 for over 2 years now, and for the past few months I've had the trem blocked off with small pieces of wood jammed in tight on the front and back sides. I much prefer the better tone, sustain, and playablility of this guitar with the trem blocked, but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do it, as wood gives a bit and I'm not sure if I could get even better sustain and tone if I installed something a little more permanent. Would it be better to install a Tremol-No, or is it even possible to install the same bridge that the JS 2000 has (FX Edge I think?)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 AM

Re: JS 1200 Trem blockage/replacement options...

hi,

I've got a 1000btb - gonna do the same thing but i'm gonna go with the tremol-no. i dont much plan on using the trem on this guitar - got a beater for that! dont even know if you can install the FX edge on these - rich might know tho!

tremol-no just seems like the better option for me as its adjustable and is said to help the sustain - never a bad thing!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:03 AM

Reviews: 18

It can't be done unless you're willing to spend some serious money in doing the swap and buying the edge fx which is going to be more of a pain because you can't just order one from ibanez.

Jimmy
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
It can't be done unless you're willing to spend some serious money in doing the swap and buying the edge fx which is going to be more of a pain because you can't just order one from ibanez.

Jimmy
Well I would be doing the work myself to cut costs, so I wouldn't think it would be too expensive...I did spend over 2 grand on the guitar itself, so even if it's an extra few hundred bucks, it's no big deal anyways...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM

I don't think the tremol-no would give any more sustain than a block providing you do the spring adjustment screws up tight and/or put extra springs on.
Jim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM

i really don't know - just going off what i've heard/seen on the site etc

thats my option for it anyway - since getting the edge trem on the RG505 i picked up on evil bay the edge pro just isn't as good! dont use the whammy that much anyway - and the 1000 had a lot nicer finish than the gold..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
I don't think the tremol-no would give any more sustain than a block providing you do the spring adjustment screws up tight and/or put extra springs on.
Jim
Hmmmm, I only have 3 springs in now (parallel)...Maybe adding a couple of springs would be better (???), but I would think I would have to adjust the truss rod before or after...and I am not good with being able to tell how much neck bow there is or isn't...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart....t_detail&p=148
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofBlindingLights View Post
25 bucks for a couple of little pieces of wood? Anyone could make that for free...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Something like a Tremol-No is not going to give you better sustain/tone than solid wood blocks in there. The EdgeFX isn't available anywhere unless you buy a JS2000 and steal the trem off it -- which makes no sense as the 2000 (true hardtail) is already going to sound better than a blocked JS1200. Converting a trem body to a hardtail body takes a lot of work (you can't do a half-ass job or it will sound terrible), and then you will need a refinish anyway. Leave it the way you have it now, or swap the whole thing out for a JS2000/1200/6/6000.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Vendor

I always have both colors of EdgeFX in stock, not that it's feasible to use on anything but a custom.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 AM

You could do that! or you could trade it me for my 2000...just a shame its so far away lol
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDan View Post
You could do that! or you could trade it me for my 2000...just a shame its so far away lol
HA! Yeah, I can't say I wouldn't be tempted! You might like my JS 1200...It's signed by JS on the back of the headstock, and he drew one of his characters at the end of the bridge in silver sharpie, which I clearcoated. It's also signed on the back by Galen Henson and Jeff Campitelli, and has a Mo Joe installed in the bridge to replace the Fred...It's got a few dings and scratches here and there, but I play the **** out of it... I love this guitar, but I would love to 'A/B' it with a JS 2000...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I always have both colors of EdgeFX in stock, not that it's feasible to use on anything but a custom.
So would you recommend that wood blocks are my best option instead of leaving the Edge Pro in there with wood shims on each side? Also, should I add the extra 2 springs? Thanks

PS-Do you ever get JS 2000's in at ibanezrules, or is Evilbay the best place to shop for them? They sound like they may be hard to find...Maybe the JS 1600 would be about the same thing, but with a mahog body (just a guess)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Vendor

It doesn't matter how you block it, you don't need anything fancy to do the job.

Tags
neck bow , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode