Js 2000 fx edge bridge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Js 2000 fx edge bridge

i am alittle confused about the fx edge bridge on the Js2000 and would really Appreciate it if someone could answer these few questions.

Is it a fixed bridge?
Is it made by Ibanez?
Is it any good!

Thanks mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 11:33 AM

1) Yes.
2) I think they're made by gotoh, like all the (Lo-Pro)Edges.
3) Define "good". If you want to know about tuning stability, it certainly is "good". If you want a fixed bridge for quick string changes, it's less "good".

Hope that helped
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 05:39 PM

The EdgeFX is the body of a LoPro that is basically set on two studs, kind of like a stop-bar tailpiece on a Les Paul.

Locks like a LoPro, but there's not rear-routing of the trem cavity (since there's not actually a trem).

It's as good or as bad as any fixed tailpiece is.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 07:27 PM

The fact that it locks the string makes it more stable than regular fixed bridges, because the tie around the ball end doesn't move. Plus, a locking nut doesn't require the care a regular one does.

I think it's great, but the look doesn't appeal too much to me. The stud look like 'ears' which I don't like.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
The fact that it locks the string makes it more stable than regular fixed bridges, because the tie around the ball end doesn't move. Plus, a locking nut doesn't require the care a regular one does.

I think it's great, but the look doesn't appeal too much to me. The stud look like 'ears' which I don't like.
Strange. I've been playing Strats and Pauls for years and years and have never had any issues with the ball end moving. Never had to perform any nut maintenance either. In fact, a standard nut is quite obviously easier to deal with than a locking one. No tools needed, no need to unlock and retune repeatedly, etc.

I would have been more likely to have kept my JS2000 if it had a non-locking nut and locking tuners.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 AM

indeed... this theoretical and minimal inaccuracy due to the ball ends is just so not to bother about....

getting out something to cut them off and then searching for the fkn allen wrench is much more annoying...

and i believe that even differences in temperature might change your tuning more than the ball ends!

personally i hate to cut them and get them in the edge bridge of my js90th... that's why she has to deal with the same set of strings for 1-2 months straight while my stratocaster (current main player) gets fresh strings every 3-4 weeks... put them in and you're done...

no trem adjustment, no careful changing from string to string, no need to cut off the ball ends and no need for ANY tools at all... that's the way restringing should be.

if i want a fixed bridge guitar i will never ever get the js2000 due to that fx bridge... i'd like a js6 much more
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile

Strange. I've been playing Strats and Pauls for years and years and have never had any issues with the ball end moving. Never had to perform any nut maintenance either. In fact, a standard nut is quite obviously easier to deal with than a locking one. No tools needed, no need to unlock and retune repeatedly, etc.

I would have been more likely to have kept my JS2000 if it had a non-locking nut and locking tuners.
The ball end thing is almost irrelevant, but the nut does need constant cleaning and replacing from time to time.

Maybe I'm just too used to the Edges!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:45 PM

I've had my main Strat for about 10 years now. It's been gigged well in excess of 100 times, most of those in smoky, crappy bars. It's been through countless boxes of strings. I've never had to replace the nut, and I've never had to clean it.

If you have those issues with a standard nut, then you're doing something very wrong
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:20 PM

Not necessarily, the nut could be soft. In a corrosive environment, "string gunk" can build up in there. I've never had problems with my guitars, but as a repairman I saw a lot of things. Bone is very hard, but can have porous sections you have to watch out for. If a nut slot lands on a porous section it can bind and also wear the slot down over time.

Anyway, I would rather have the Schaller roller tune-o-matic with the fine tuner tailpiece. I think Ibanez blew it on that one. I love the guitar and would want one, but I just can't see cutting and locking a fixed bridge. They would have sold many more IMHO if they used the roller/fine tuner bridge. And with that, you can still have the lock nut if you want to!

I wouldn't mind getting a JS2000 and converting it to a lo-pro just for that color.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I've had my main Strat for about 10 years now. It's been gigged well in excess of 100 times, most of those in smoky, crappy bars. It's been through countless boxes of strings. I've never had to replace the nut, and I've never had to clean it.

If you have those issues with a standard nut, then you're doing something very wrong
I don't think I'm doing something wrong, maybe the nut is low quality. On the other hand my PGM has no problems at all.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM

I guess I just take better care of my guitars than most do

(Of course...I tend to baby just about every piece of gear to a ridiculous degree!)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:04 PM

I have never actually seen one (apart from pictures). But is it completly fixed or can you do pull ups with the palm of your hand??? sorry for the stupid question
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 02:30 PM

The EdgeFX is completely fixed. It's basically a locking hardtail bridge. There is no room to "pull up" because there is backrouted cavity
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 03:17 PM

according to the manual it does pivot to some degree. Thats what the third stud in the back is meant to do, correct the angle of the bridge, so Im assuming it has a little bit of give in it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Vendor

The set screw takes out the slop present in the Gibson style mounting so there is no play, and adds an extra [albeit small] tone transfer point to [supposedly] to add tone and sustain. Has nothing to do with the bridge angle, it has to be set to remove the slop, that's all

Tags
allen wrench , bridge angle , edge bridge , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , hardtail bridge , les paul , lock nut , locking nut , locking tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode