js + 24 fret neck? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

js + 24 fret neck?

i'm just wondering is this possible? will it affect anything? i've seen my friend's guitar pic, it's a js body with jem neck.. but i never asked him how was it though.. so will this be alright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 AM

you can do it with lots of mods to the body. For a Jem neck you'll have to modify the neck pocket heavily to go from the standard 4 bolt square style to the 3 bolt AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) that the Jem necks have. Plus the JS is built to house a 22 fret neck, putting a 24 fret neck will mean you have to rout the neck pickup pocket out more to move it more towards the bridge. There should be some walkthroughs and stuff at www.guitarproject.com and I'm sure someone else will chime in here as well
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 04:05 PM

I've seen pics of it done to, But to be honest is it really worth it?

I think half the beuaty in the JS series is that the necks only have 22 frets and feel better as a result. To me they feel and sound like a clasic strat neck, and when coupled with all the other features, when I play the JS line I just think, WOW

I think it's a recipe you don't wanna mess with, that's just my opinion though,
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
For a Jem neck you'll have to modify the neck pocket heavily to go from the standard 4 bolt square style to the 3 bolt AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) that the Jem necks have.
Jem necks don´t have 3 bolts, they have 4.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:00 PM

If you ditch the neck pickup and put an old, square heeled (pre '93) 24-fret neck on it, it should be a direct fit.

But: It'll be ugly as hell, you'll get a big hole where the neck pocket was and the 2 additional frets would be pretty useless; cause they're pretty much out of reach for a human being, due to the 'smaller' cutaways.

But it could indeed be an interesting project. Fill the neck pickup hole, route a new one a bit closer to the bridge, remove a few chunks of wood from the cutaways... and refinish the whole thing. hmmmm.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Societysucks
I've seen pics of it done to, But to be honest is it really worth it?

I think half the beuaty in the JS series is that the necks only have 22 frets and feel better as a result. To me they feel and sound like a clasic strat neck, and when coupled with all the other features, when I play the JS line I just think, WOW

I think it's a recipe you don't wanna mess with, that's just my opinion though,
Couldn't have said it better!

If it was a total custom job I could agree but not an off the shelf model!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 02:26 AM

Heka wrote:
Quote:
Jem necks don´t have 3 bolts, they have 4.
really? could've sworn they have 3, oh well. Your probably right I don't even own a AAJN guitar.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM

Any one can correct me if I am wrong.

The scale on these guitars is 25.5

Therfore, if you have an older, square healed JS...you could put an older, square healed 24 fret Ibanez neck on it. Essentialy, the older 24 fret necks had a 2 fret extension on them. That should be a strait bolt on change. The thing that would change is that the JS neck is radiused differently than the Jem/Wizard necks.

AANJ bodies would mean modding the body/neck for proper intonation.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaibanez
Any one can correct me if I am wrong.

The scale on these guitars is 25.5

Therfore, if you have an older, square healed JS...you could put an older, square healed 24 fret Ibanez neck on it. Essentialy, the older 24 fret necks had a 2 fret extension on them. That should be a strait bolt on change. The thing that would change is that the JS neck is radiused differently than the Jem/Wizard necks.

AANJ bodies would mean modding the body/neck for proper intonation.
It would cover the neck pickup.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM

Did anyone read my post?
Anyway, both of you are right, older necks DO fit on the body, but they cover the neck pickup.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 04:26 AM

I love the JS Neck the way it is!
But it would be nice to have a Red Flame pattern on the fret board similar to what The JEM design is.
it would go very well with the Red body!

But i would love a JS in normal transparent blue wiv a fret board like the Jem's blue aswell, but maybe a bit of a pearl type colours in it!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 02:28 PM

Currently building JS with 7 strings, 24 frets, 25.5 scale with AANJ.
Used radius cad design floating around on the net. Modified it to accomodate the AANJ and the 7 string neck. Had to move tremolo forward a bit. No further problems.

When building from scratch it's more easy done than going from standard 22 frets, 25.5 scale to 24 frets, 25.5 scale.

Getting Dimarzio to make a set of 7 string Paf Pro and Fred pickups, that's a bigger problem.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:40 AM

I think a 24-fret neck on a JS body would pretty much screw up the great and well balanced and harmonic optical appearance of the whole package. The neck pickup would be closer to the bridge, at least the lower cutaway would be deeper, making the body either smaller or more asymmetrical or both. But I can't really picture it...

Anybody got PhotoShop skills?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:35 PM

A Js with 24 frets and an AANJ is pretty much my dream guitar.

I really don't see how the extra frets can be worse for the playability or looks of the guitar. They don't affect the roundness of the radius and if you put the neck deeper inside the body it won't look as it's too long. The neck pick-up will be a bit closer to the bridge but does it really make that much difference (and is this necessary a bad thing?)?

To me, it would just be perfect.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 03:36 PM

A Js with 24 frets and an AANJ is pretty much my dream guitar.

I really don't see how the extra frets can be worse for the playability or looks of the guitar. They don't affect the roundness of the radius and if you put the neck deeper inside the body it won't look as it's too long. The neck pick-up will be a bit closer to the bridge but does it really make that much difference (and is this necessary a bad thing?)?

To me, it would just be perfect.

Tags
access neck joint , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , darren wilson , fret board , fret ibanez neck , fret neck , fret necks , ibanez neck , jem neck , loch ness green , neck joint , neck pickup , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode