JS 700 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

JS 700

Hi,

I'm going to buy this one. It's the Jap. version. Whats the difference between the Jap. version and the Kor. version, besides the inlay?

I know, it's a old guitar, but I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad that there are so many replies to this post...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Whoa don't be so impatient. When someone feels they are able to help you and based on your attitude, feels that you deserve some help, they'll post.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Ho ho Mr Jono. I don't ment to be angry or something like that. It's just I want to know really bad what the difference are, because the guy will last the guitar till Thursday. The guitar will be gone by Friday.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Vendor

MIJ 700's are fairly uncommon and might be considerred rare, the typical is MIK with probably 99% of what I see sold as MIK. Quality will be better on the workmanship level on the MIJ. There's no information on if the MIK and MIJ use the same hardware or not but they might.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 AM

Reviews: 2
I have a MIK JS700 and it's fine. As is My MIK EPI Zak Wylde.

The whole Korean thing isn't that big a deal I don't think.

JMO
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo

The whole Korean thing isn't that big a deal I don't think.

JMO

Depends on a few things. There is only 1 korean guitar I like and played well and was the mahogany js700. Heavy too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Nah the whole Japan vs Korea thing it's as if Japan's CRC routers have some magic quality that Koreas don't

Sometimes though finish quality isn't as good but does that really matter it's how it sounds and plays that should matter.

Anyway with Dimarzios release of the Tone Zone P90 a JS700 will make a cool rock machine once the pickups have been swapped.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 AM

Question Re: JS 700

I've got a MIJ JS700 - but I hate the pickups because they hum with distortion so I've not played the thing that much since buying it new in about 2001-2002, so it's still in fabulous condition.

Since it's a Japan issue, should erase the thoughts of "Dremelising" it to accomodate for better pickups? I don't really intend on selling it, so maybe it just don't matter - I mean they don't hold great value do they?

I hate owning an instrument that doesn't get used enough. Any opinions
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Re: JS 700

codnchips, just a very general question: If you were to sell it how much would you like for it?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM

Smile Re: JS 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
codnchips, just a very general question: If you were to sell it how much would you like for it?
Crikey, there's a question! I'm actually quite surprised you asked, because they don't seem too popular! :0) (I'm struggling to remember what I paid for it (I'll try and dig out the receipt)....
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:56 PM

Smile Re: JS 700

Stone the crows - I found it! I paid £649 in 2001. I remember when I ordered it, the dude said it would take a little while to arrive because it was the last one in Japan. Now I'm not a naive person, so I took this with a pinch of salt (the japan comment not the waiting!) Serial number is F0114310

I wouldn't really think about selling it until I made a decision regarding the pickups and whether I should turn it into something I want to play.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Nah the whole Japan vs Korea thing it's as if Japan's CRC routers have some magic quality that Koreas don't

Sometimes though finish quality isn't as good but does that really matter it's how it sounds and plays that should matter.

Anyway with Dimarzios release of the Tone Zone P90 a JS700 will make a cool rock machine once the pickups have been swapped.
CNC not CRC, not being a dick or anything, just pointing it out...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codnchips
Stone the crows - I found it! I paid £649 in 2001. I remember when I ordered it, the dude said it would take a little while to arrive because it was the last one in Japan. Now I'm not a naive person, so I took this with a pinch of salt (the japan comment not the waiting!) Serial number is F0114310

I wouldn't really think about selling it until I made a decision regarding the pickups and whether I should turn it into something I want to play.
Hehe I was just wondering as i've kinda had a soft spot for them since I had a go on one around 2001 actually, it'd make a nice change to have some P90 pups instead of buckers anyway.

Thanks for info!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Don't want to spoil a deal here but there are Humbuckers in P90 size.

Anyways, on topic: iirc, the inlay wouldn't always differ but generally you can say that MIJ ibanez have better quality than the MIK ones... due to better craftmanship in Japan.

But since the material is the same you won't notice THAT much of a difference. The difference that occurs on other guitars (like RGs for instance) is plainly because companies decide to build cheaper models in Korea. So the material (wood, hardware, PUs) used on Korean guitars is not as good as the material used on Jap guitars.

Same story with USA and Mexiko Fenders etc.

So - though I never could directly compare both - I'd say the difference between the exact same guitar built in Japan and in Korea would be marginal... bit more accurate frets and factory setup perhaps... that's what you might notice.

Tags
joe satriani , korean guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

JS 700 Jaapn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode