JS Body - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

JS Body

Hello,
Just joined jemsite.com because I'm looking at upgrading my JS100. It is a 2002 model I beleive and I love the guitar other than the Lo-TRS II. It was fine for the first while, and it still will come back into tune after ridiculous use of the bar but the parts started to fail on me. Its like the metal is too soft. The knife edges have totally worn and a couple of the screws that hold the strings into the bridge with those little blocks have actually somehow seized on their own. Basically when trying to restring the guitar i tried to back out the screw holding the block down against the string and the screw just broke off half way. So that saddle piece is totally fried, I dont see how I could get that out without damaging the threads inside. Anyways, yes I agree that this trem sucks, but it has performed well for the first while even in shows. I have never had the chance to play a JS1x00 model but I'm pretty convinced I want to get the JS1000 BTB.

Anyways, I LOVE the body on this JS100 (its the transparent red) as the wood grain is unbelievable. So I want to upgrade the guitar. I'm definitely going to put in the higher end pickups like the PAF Joe and Fred or a PAF PRO instead of the FRED but my major questions are about replacing the neck. Nothing is wrong with the neck but I've head that the JS1000 neck is way comfy. Personally I like a fatter neck (like my Purple Burst '91 Japanese Strat). I'm also torn between doing the body routing I'd need to do to put in one of the EDGE Pro or Lo-Pro bridges, or just sticking in a Floyd Rose Pro bridge. I've also been looking at the ZR2 bridge and wondered if anyone has any advice about that. The ball bearings seem like a good idea to me... would it be worth doing the body route to put that in? I can do the routing all myself so it wouldn't be expensive (unless i FUBARed it).

So for the JS100 I have, since I love the body, I would like advice on
- New JS1x00 neck,
- new Trem (is the ZR series awesome? would it be better to just stick with OFR or FR Pro since they wouldn't require routing?)
- new pickups (probably going to get the PAF Joe and PAF FRED)
- machine heads. Not such a big deal but would like to have premium quality.

Also if anyone has any idea where I can get a used and or abused JS body for REALLY cheap I would like to refinish and build a guitar myself. So even really beat up guitars that I can disassemble, sand, stain, burn (like BTB), and rebuild... email me please! [email protected] . Preferably just the body will do, but I'll take the whole thing if I have to. I live in Canada.

Cheers,
Thanks for reading my novel.

Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Eco

Re: JS Body

Shouldnt have a problem finding the parts you need on the bay, but the ZR wont fit in the trem route and it would need alot of routing front and back to get it there.

I'd go with an OFR for the trem just to save hassle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Not bad but I guessed who dunnit before the end

I suspect everthing you said is correct...
The JS1x00 neck is good and quite strat-ish (?)
It would be easiest to change the TRS to an OFR.
Fred and Joe are of course the pickups of choice.
keep the tuners, they aren't needed much!
I think reallistically if you change much more than the pickups and bridge you'll be spending almost as much as a second hand JS1000 which would be better anyway.
Jim
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:08 PM

As with all of these JS100 threads, doing much more than just changing the trem won't be cost effective compared to switching to a JS1000 (unless you can get the parts/labor VERY cheap somewhere). The ZR is a great trem, but routing for it isn't really very feasible. I'd stick with something like the OFR. If you want pickups, trem, neck, tuners, etc., then just sell it and get that BTB you want ... it will cost less.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 AM

When I had my Jem 555 the person I bought it from had blocked the trem with a screw. It kept the guitar in tune for very long periods of time. I don't use the trem anyway, so it made no difference to me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Reviews: 3

I like the neck on the JS100. It seems thinner at the nut. The pickups aren't as bad as I thought they would be either. The bridge is goofy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode