JS CG Input Jack - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

JS CG Input Jack

Having browsed through an ibanez catalogue I noticed that the JS input jack on this guitar is recessed like the jem. Is this me, or am I seeing things

Or is this old old old news?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:27 AM

I think it was like that since day 1.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 09:40 AM

The only ones that weren't recessed were the JS10th models, because chroming inside the recessed jack area didn't work so well.

Oh, and by the way, it's an output jack.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
The only ones that weren't recessed were the JS10th models
The JS2K Crystal Planet also has a straight output jack.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:31 PM

hmmm... input jack... plug a tape player into your guitar?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
hmmm... input jack... plug a tape player into your guitar?
In theory, couldn't you run an amplified signal from the headphone jack of an amp into a second guitar and get a sustainer-ish effect? In theory remember. I mean, like, run the bridge pickup to the output jack, to the amp, then from the headphone jack to the "input" jack, which runs to the neck pickup...it would be funny if it worked. lol I don't think it would though. And you'd need an amp where the headphone jack didn't kill the speaker.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:54 PM

[way off topic]

TwoHands: Essentially, yes... that's what a Sustainer is. Pickups are essentially electromagnets in reverse... move a metal string through a magnetic field and the resulting fluctuations produce electrical current in the coils. Sustainers work on the reverse principle... apply enough current (and oscillating in the right way) and the resulting electrical field can move the strings. The eBow works kind of this way, though it doesn't rely on the guitar's built-in pickups... it's just a string exciter.

A Fernandes or Sustainiac sustainer uses a small amplifier that gets installed onboard, which takes the signal from the bridge pickup, amplifies it and pumps it out through the neck pickup/transducer, further exciting the strings. (I believe Michael Brook's "infinite guitar" system works the same way, only i think he uses an external amplifier. He's very secretive about it, and only really says that it's different from the way the Fernandes/Sustainiac sustainers work.) The key is getting the amplifier and transducer to respond well and pump out the right kind of signal and magnetic field, which is what Sustainiac has been developing for longer than anyone else.

The only other time i've seen a guitar with an input jack is on Jerry Garcia's custom "tiger" guitar, which had an effects loop that he could control right from the guitar. Signal goes out to effects, comes back into the guitar, then out again to the amp. Nutty guy.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeboy
The JS2K Crystal Planet also has a straight output jack.
Ah, yes... i always forget the CP. Thanks for the clarification!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

ooooooops

output jack, sorry...

my linguistic ability shows its shortcomings, don't know enough about JS guitars as I've never really seen many of them. Also thought the recessed jack was a jem feature only.

My bad...

Tags
bridge pickup , crystal planet , darren wilson , ibanez catalog , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode