JS Chromeboy, chrome finish - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

JS Chromeboy, chrome finish

I've been reading what has been said about the chrome finish on the forum. It seems like it is rather hard to put that finish on a guitar. So my question is how did Ibanez do it then? And is it reproducable? Has anyone here been able to get that done?

Kind Regards

Andrť Fettouhi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 08:34 AM

The answer is, Ibanez didn't do it very well. They're very delicate. But no fault of theirs - NOBODY is doing this well on a wood guitar. I say, get a metal guitar made and chrome it. And eat steroids. ;-)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Many Thanks for the reply. All the pictures of the Chromeboy I have seen it looks fantastic. What happens to the finish after some time? Does fall of graduately?

Kind Regards

Andrť Fettouhi

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:16 AM

After alot of use the colour just fades and it dosnt shine. Jo has a clear bit of plastic that stuff that sticks to anything by static for a pickguard that works wuite well. There was a guy selling a Chromeboy on here a while back he had pics to it had a large spot of chrome missing.

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...10th+chromeboy

alot of money for a guitar that dosnt last well!

If your after a good chrome finish theres a guy I know bin doing it for years and he will chrome almost any guitar.

He even gold and copper plates them to and sells standard Strats already plated.

His site is www.gunsgirlsandguitars.com

Hes quite cheap to and Ive seen a few models a couple of years after plating and the finish survives quite well!

Scott
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchi5t
After alot of use the colour just fades and it dosnt shine. Jo has a clear bit of plastic that stuff that sticks to anything by static for a pickguard that works wuite well.

alot of money for a guitar that dosnt last well!

If your after a good chrome finish theres a guy I know bin doing it for years and he will chrome almost any guitar.

He even gold and copper plates them to and sells standard Strats already plated.

His site is www.gunsgirlsandguitars.com

Hes quite cheap to and Ive seen a few models a couple of years after plating and the finish survives quite well!

Scott
I've never seen one "faded".

Joe's is real, that's no static cling vinyl, it's permanent to cover where the chrome was peeling off, it is on wood.

www.gunsgirlsandguitars.com are butchers, do NOT do chrome, and should not be allowed to touch anything but car bumpers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:23 AM

Whats up with the guys at GunsGirlsAndGuitars Ive heard good reviews from them I was considering sending a guitar body over.

Whats wrong with them I aint givin them one of my babies if they'll hurt her (youve gotta see someone when you talk about a guitar like a person :P )

Scott
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Vendor

Send them a good guitar and expect to get an overrouted piece of crap back, with loose nickel, missing nickel, nickel in all the threads where you don't want it, and the list goes on. AVOID!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 12:02 PM

Will do!

Guess its no chrome guitar for me

Oh well guess my minds finally made up after bout 5 months a 7VWH it is then :P
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 03:01 AM

I had my Js1000 plated by the GGG ppl last year.......the finish overall is shiny like chrome, but there are many many imperfections....some very little and others just make you want to get your money back. They were mostly big time flaws. The finish isn't smooth like a Js10th.....but it is really thick and makes for a heavy axe!
I still play mine a lot, fortunately the tone coming out of it is pleasing to my ears......i like the tone and the feel of a wood bodied guitar(even though its plated) better than how a Js10th feels and sounds. But a Js10th still sounds good....
I don't know how the GGG's finishes are coming out now these days.....but i've seen horrible results on other guitar bodies.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 07:35 AM

Chromeboy

Hi there all,

Al these questions about the chrome-proces etc. Just let me tell you all, this guitar is super.
I bought it a few years ago. Serial# 322.

It plays well, but you have to handle it very carefull otherwise scratches will appear in the material. But on the long run this "machines" is still in perfect shape.

My conclusion: Buy it / play it / enjoy it.....

Marjo
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:48 AM

Chroming a guitar will never be like a chrome guitar. I don't how these guys at GGG do but I fear that chromed guitar they did will at a future stage peal off for technical reasons. These technical reasons made Ibanez give up the JS2 models - wood+chrome on it - and opt 6 years after with success for a luthite body + chrome. I don't see why Ibanez would have succeeded in making a JS2 and why someone would by applying the same (?) process on wood. An other point is the visual aspect : from what I've seen, GGG does not obtain that great aspect of JS10th : when you like at chromed GGG guitars I think it's as if you were looking in moving water (it's reflecting but not smooth).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 02:17 AM

The process is an electrically applied deal. They dip your body into a solution that's copper-based that adheres to the existing finish. That's why they won't do a bare-wood one...has to have finish to adhere and also so it doesn't soak into the wood.
It then has an electrode attached and goes into a pool of the metal of your choice with the opposite charge, and that's the deal.

I had this idea too, and was warned by Rich when i asked him about it before I did it. So rather than send my nice guitar to them and have a hack do a crappy job and ruin a nice guitar, i sent a dummy body. A junk strat body i had laying around. It came back basically unusable. The area where the neck pocket has been "cleaned up" by them had grinder marks where they tried to get the excess playing out, but took wood too...I complained, and they said try again. I had another body available that was just collecting dust. The guy said he'd try using a different machine to clean it up. That body came back even worse. I actually threw both of them away...

So, I bailed on the idea, and bailed on LGM, who was into making an inlay for me. It sucked and I'm still dreaming of that guitar...just need to do it another way. Don't send your guitar to these guys unless you want a guitar-shaped paperweight. If it's still playable, it's only after you finish cleaning up their mess, and by then, you are just too pissed off to deal with it and want your old guitar back...

Tags
guitar body , strat body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode