JS clearcoat - Is it different now than early 90's? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

JS clearcoat - Is it different now than early 90's?

What kind of clearcoats is Ibanez finishing the current models in?? Nitrocellulose?
And what finish did they use when they clearcoated the Js1,Js3,Js4
and Js5?? Were all the graphic models done in acrylics?
If the clearcoats were done in acrylic, does it have a significance
tonal difference versus nitrocelloluse clears?
I guess anyone who has played a real donnie might truly know the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2002, 09:02 PM
Vendor

JS clearcoat

AFAIK still using polyester just like they always have.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Ibanez endorsed

JS clearcoat

Before having my JS1000 "Herctified", I dont see or feel any difference between the JS1 and the JS1000 finish or tone.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

JS clearcoat

I was thinking that the donnies had more coverage regarding paint, and
the clearcoat. If there is more layers of paint/clear, this would have some
of tonal change. Looking at the donnies, just looked like there are
several layers of paint or more than a luthier would spray for
a solid color.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 12:46 AM
Vendor

JS clearcoat

There are definately a few extra layers of paint, but those extra layers all what they're all about
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 01:17 PM

JS clearcoat

I must be tone deaf because I certainly wouldn't be able to hear the tonal difference in a couple of layers of paint. * Are you guys related to Eric Johnson? *

J
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:02 PM
Ibanez endorsed

JS clearcoat

lol Now I dont shave an inch of floor away from the walls in my recording studio or take the time to test which 9 volt batteries are putting out the most constant voltage but....... there actually are differences that can be heard in all of that. Basically everyone has different limits on what frequencies they can hear.

So to stick on topic...... take a guitar with a natural finish (like a JEM7bsb) and then take another similar guitar (same wood of course) like a JEM77FP. You will DEFINITELY hear the difference. The tone is a little more bright on the BSB vrs the other basswood body JEMS that have the thick layers of polyester paint on them. So do the Donnies sound different than the regular JS1? I would have to say that unless the EXACT amount of paint was used to create the Donnie as the JS1 then it will sound different. Will everyone be able to hear the difference? Probably not. Just my 2 pennies
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:08 PM

JS clearcoat

7BSB = Evo, 77FP = Paf..
Sure there is a diffrence..

But yeah, wood does make a diffrence, so does paint. Pretty subtle I suppose in regard to painted vs unpainted.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:16 PM

JS clearcoat

I would think that the tonal difference of painted versus unpainted is much more noticeable than the difference between 3 coats of paint and 5 coats.

J
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:49 PM
Ibanez endorsed

JS clearcoat

Quote:
Jeroenn on 3:08 pm on Jan. 31, 2002
7BSB = Evo, 77FP = Paf..
Sure there is a diffrence..

But yeah, wood does make a diffrence, so does paint. Pretty subtle I suppose in regard to painted vs unpainted.
Ok ok then a 7bsb and a 7WH..... no wait basswood vrs alder..... Ok take a friggin 77FP and put EVO's in it!!! *lol Point being that if you change something, no matter how small it might be, on some level there will be a tone difference.

Actually a painted guitar has a much different tone than unpainted. In the simplest terms look at acoustic guitars and take a painted vrs unpainted. Now I am not bringing up the debate of which sounds better but you WILL hear a difference in the tone. On electrics the difference will come from how the body vibrates. The more paint on the guitar the more bass I would expect to hear vrs the same guitar without paint. Again some people will hear it and some wont. To some people a minor hum in their line signal is no big deal. To others it will drive them nuts until they isolate and eliminate the source.

(Edited by rikkbeatty at 3:52 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)

(Edited by rikkbeatty at 3:56 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Ibanez endorsed

JS clearcoat

Quote:
Jason Stone on 3:16 pm on Jan. 31, 2002
I would think that the tonal difference of painted versus unpainted is much more noticeable than the difference between 3 coats of paint and 5 coats.

J
It would be more noticeable but in either case there will be a slight tonal difference.

(Edited by rikkbeatty at 3:57 pm on Jan. 31, 2002)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2002, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
JS clearcoat

OK take a PMC vs a BFP. Or a GMC vs a Floral. I've done the latter and yes cool paint jobs sound better. And don't even LOOK at the sustain on that one

Tags
acoustic guitar , basswood body , eric johnson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode