JS compared to PRS Mira - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: JS compared to PRS Mira

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
...the JS is one of the most comfortable and "flexible" guitars I have ever owned. I can play anything with this guitar and wear it all day long...
That's exactly what I was looking for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 59

I see. I must have misread the way you wrote it because it sounded to me like the salesguy pointed you in that direction but your explanation makes sense.
I agree with Satchmo that the JS is one of the most flexible guitars around. It definitely has a distinctive mid-range but that's managable and it's off-set by being able to get almost any sound.
The only thing it doesn't do well is metal, and with enough eq, you can still get a passable 80's metal tone. It'll never do the chug palm mutes, but it nails just about anything else.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Actually there is a guy out of australia on Youtube (guitarnoize) doing Metallica, etc. on a JS1000 - doesn't sound too bad to me.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I see. I must have misread the way you wrote it because it sounded to me like the salesguy pointed you in that direction but your explanation makes sense.
I agree with Satchmo that the JS is one of the most flexible guitars around. It definitely has a distinctive mid-range but that's managable and it's off-set by being able to get almost any sound.
The only thing it doesn't do well is metal, and with enough eq, you can still get a passable 80's metal tone. It'll never do the chug palm mutes, but it nails just about anything else.
The JS sounds good for metal. Smooth tight sound. You can always scoop the mids a little but I don't really hear that with high gain. I chug on mine all the time.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 59

I'm just trying to say that it's a very versitile guitar but, in my personal experience, if you're looking to do death metal, there are probably better options to consider. It'll do everything else just fine.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 AM

Of course the guy wants to sell you a PRS I mean c'mon... those aren't cheap.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 AM

A JS is a great guitar. The Mira is cool too I really like the way they look but I dislike Paul Reed Smith the man from a few interviews I've seen. Now I'm subconsciously negative towards them even though every PRS I've played has been very nice.

Anyways, It's all about what felt and sounded right to you.

Ibanez gets the shaft a lot at GC and other places like that. I went looking for one once and the sales rep kep telling me to play a Gibson cause, "they're unparalleled over the years and blah blah blah." I never said "I've owned gibsons and tons of guitars so I know what I'm looking for." I just said "no thanks," 25 times. Not that what was recommended was bad, it's just I didn't ask for any recommendations I asked to play an Ibanez id idn't want to hear about a bunch of other guitars. Why do these dudes assume that we don't know anything about guitar all the time?
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
if you're looking to do death metal, there are probably better options to consider. It'll do everything else just fine.

I went from "A love Eternal" to "Seek and Destroy" with one click of my Satchurator. The JS wasn't a factor in that. It handled both just fine.

The JS is the most versatile guitar I have ever played. The volume control is exceptionally responsive to tone/gain.

The amp/distortion pedal is the key factor in that equation.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa View Post
Of course the guy wants to sell you a PRS I mean c'mon... those aren't cheap.
Unlike most PRS the Mira isn't an incredibly expensive model - as long as you get the all-mahogany version with dot markers you're looking at the $1,600 to $1,650 range for a 2009 (earlier ones should be more like $1,550).

The JS and the Mira are both nice guitars but they are very different; in a perfect world it might be nice to have both - kind of like someone in the 1960s having both a Strat and a soapbar-equipped SG Special to choose from.

Tags
js1200 , mira

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode