JS (Edge Bridge) Intonation - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

JS (Edge Bridge) Intonation

well... having played for almost 8 years now i've come to the point where i need to intonate a guitar...

i never had to do this since i only had 4 guitars till now (still got 2 of them) and bought them all used (except for my first one... but you don't notice the screwed up intonation if you just start out ) therefore they were set up to be played.

on my JS90th (Edge trem, blocked) about all strings sound too sharp on the 12th fret compared to the open string and the flashiolette at the 12th.

e.g.... if i tune the lowest string to E (tune it perfectly, the open string), then fret at the 12th and look at the tuner it says 15%-20% sharp (this is about half a F, tbh :P)

now i heard edge bridge intonation is not an easy thing to do... you have to loosen all the strings when moving the saddles (unless you have an intonation tool... but they seem to be far too expensive to me :P) and that could be a lotta work to me, since i got no expecience with intonation and actually don't know how far to move them.

long story short: would you recommend trying to do it on myself or shall i take it to someone who prolly knows what to do (guitar-store or tech) and sacrifice some euros to him for doing it in a proper way?

TIA,

Markus

(btw. it kinda pisses me off that this edge bridge is that complicated to intonate... since i don't use it's goods at all... i'm not a trem player but js-6's are hard to afford next to js90ths if you're 17 years old and going to school (doing your a-levels soon :P)... well... nevermind)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 07:21 AM

hi markus,

intonation is quite easy, just loosen the string you need to intonate and move the saddles back if you're sharp or towards the neck if the note is flat. move in about 2-3mm increments tuning to pitch and rechecking each time. do this one string at a time, it should be much easier for you since your trem is blocked. nothing too terifiying, i think you should be able to accomplish this easily, never hurts to learn anyway i'd only recommend a tech if you must seriously have your intonation perfect, have him use a strobe tuner to get it right, but on floyd guitars, it doesn't really make much of a difference. have fun!

btw, a levels is a very interesting programme!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks!

i adjusted it all now... one can't hear the difference now (i didn't notice it when playing alone anyways... but when there's a rhythm guitar and you play a solo around the 16th fret and that sounds too sharp... gawd... no fun)

but the allen screw on the low e-string is worn out... can't turn it with the allen wrench
any tips on this? (maybe cut halfway through it and use a normal screwdriver? ... hummmmm)...

so the low E is still a BIT sharp... well... i can play my js now withour worrying

Tags
allen wrench , edge bridge , edge trem , intonation tool , strobe tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode