JS future options (2004 ibanez ad blurb) - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 07:41 AM

Rich, are you saying that if we show we know too much, then Ibanez might not put into production the new '04 models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Vendor

I know of one Jem that was killed because the info slipped out. The purple dot neck with powder gold hardware.

It happens every year. The info either leaks through another distributor or the reps get a little too gabby, but usually it's the artist themselves that spill most of the beans. Too early and by the time NAMM comes it's like old news and as if they aren't releasing anything "new" at all. Some things are just better left a surprise
post #48 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 12:40 PM

OMG. Rich, what other projects do you know that were avorted because people knew more than allowed ?
post #49 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Vendor

Too ealry to think that hard and I've got to get to the hospital, but, I believe the Super Jem was killed for the same reason, although the excuse was given it would have been too expensive. Considering it was to be a very limited edition [which would have had a high price tag to begin with] my guess is because the whole world knew about it and was expecting it played it's own role in the decision to kill it.
post #50 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 01:51 PM

Hope everything will go ok at the hospital (and that they won't bill you in the usual way ). If you have time when you'll come back (and whereas this is the JS forum), what is the Super Jem you're talkin about ?
post #51 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
Can someone post a scan of that ad? I'm certainly not buying GW for ONE page
Actually, it's not in the new issue of Guitar World, it's in the special 80s edition of the Guitar for the Practicing Musician (yes, you read that right) that is on newstands right now. I don't have a scanner, but here's the text:

"So what are these '80s guitar heroes doing now? Some thing they were doing in the '80s. Setting the world afire with brilliant, unearthly and searingly beautiful guitar playing. With one big difference. They're doing it even better now than they were then. In January 2004, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons and Steve Vai will each get new Ibanez signature models."

The cool thing is that the Ibanez logo on the ad is colored in UVMC swirl.
post #52 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEAPSON
Hope everything will go ok at the hospital (and that they won't bill you in the usual way ). If you have time when you'll come back (and whereas this is the JS forum), what is the Super Jem you're talkin about ?
Not me, mums broke her hip yesterday.

The Ultra Jem [I said it was early!] was to be a VWH w/ sustainer and piezo [I think].
post #53 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom, Rich.

All the best,

Jason
post #54 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I believe the Super Jem was killed for the same reason, although the excuse was given it would have been too expensive.
Couple of things here.

#1. a prototype jem like the purple/gold sounds good as Ibanez (usa) designed it & chatted about it, but if Vai rejects the final concept, it's not being released. That is that... even if it makes good business sense, etc. On the other hand if a bad idea like the VSBL gets approved by vai, it will go to market (even if it makes little sense to the rest of us). Likewise some trail balloons are floated to gauge reseller/market demand... hence some leaked info.

#2. are you certain the ultra jem was killed?

#3. it will be curious to see who is designing the new Signature models anyways.

Anyways, keep your expectations to a minimum until WAY closer to NAMM... glen
post #55 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Vendor

Steve killed the purple/gold? I thought that was Hoshino.

The info I have said the Ultra was killed, citing estimated MSRP as the reason. I know Steve just killed another that has been "anticipated" by the good folk here for some time. Whatever the "new" one is I haven't caught the leak yet.
post #56 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:46 PM
site founder 0% owner

They said Steve axed the purple/gold as per my recollection but either way it's a moot issue. Also steve has chatted up the Ultra Jem so while i've always considered that a longshot, it's certainly a possibility if not now maybe later. They'll need an "anniversary" model to sell oneday and this is a no-brainer. Japan is calling the shots so those braniacs are obviously difficult to read and comprehend

But i have honestely not even inquired in many months, because dealers have been getting annoyed reading about new models from jemsite before they were informed. Figured to chat about this at the G3 shows ...glen
post #57 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Vendor

Not only do the dealers get annoyed, but Hoshino gets even more annoyed. Nobody likes to have the surprise bubbles bursted. That's like finding your hidden Christmas present in June
post #58 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL.

I think the straw that broke the camels back was dealers calling into HoshUSA to get info, place orders, annoyed at being left out of the loop, etc. only to find out the new stuff was officially unofficial until the pre-NAMM USA dealer meetings anyways... glen

ps - just read all the posts & hope you mom is well
post #59 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:12 PM

Sorry for your mom Rich. Hope she's gonna be better.

As to killed projet, are you aware of any that were killed for the JS line ?
post #60 of 289 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 11:41 PM
Vendor

Thanks guys. She's doing well. 3 hours of surgery and a whole lot of morphine later [she's still not sharing!]. She's got a long road which is already full of potholes. She'll be having a few more tests this weekend [the ones she's been putting off for over a year] since she's a captive audience and really can't fight it too hard!

Tags
abalone dot inlays , alder body , andy timmons , basswood body , beautiful guitar , birdseye maple neck , black pickguard , body shape , candy apple red , chrome hardware , cosmo black hardware , crystal planet , custom shop , darren wilson , dimarzio bridge , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebmm jpm , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , edge trems , electric guitar , ernie ball , fixed bridge , fret inlay , fret neck , guitar playing , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jackson guitars , joe satriani , lava pearl , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pup , paf joe , paf pro , paul gilbert , pro edge , production model , quilted maple , reverse headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , steve vai , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode