JS Guitar from Experience Hendrix Tour - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

JS Guitar from Experience Hendrix Tour

Went and saw the Experience Hendrix show here in LA last night. Great great show, everyone did a phenomenal job bringing their take on Jimi's music.

I posted this question on ss.org, thought I'd run it by you guys too seeing as this site is more geared to Ibanez / Satch / Vai in general.

Does anyone know what guitar JS is using on tour???? I saw it last night and assume that it's a custom one-off for him. It was a thing of beauty though:

Light Metallic Blue JS Body
Maple/Maple neck
22 Frets
Matching headstock
Floating Trem
S/S/S sized pickups - possibly all or some humbuckers and what appeared to be a few coil tap options (bunch of switches near the Volume/Tone).

Why oh why can't Ibanez release THAT as a production JS, it looked and sounded ridiculously good! I know it's worthless without pics, but I didn't take a camera with me. Sorry........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: JS Guitar from Experience Hendrix Tour

You got a pic?

Jimmy
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Reviews: 3

I'd like to see it.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:51 AM

A bunch of people from Seymour Duncan went to the kickoff in Santa Barbara, and got back stage and stuff, they didn't want people taking pictures but Seymour's son Cody apparently got some good shots. (he's a photographer) If I get hold of them I'll post one. I didn't go. There was a light blue metallic 542R with 3 single coils in the early 90's but I'm sure what you're talking about is a custom build. Now I really wish I were there!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I know it's weak posting without proof of pics but I just didn't have a camera with me. Damned near everyone else did though so there's bound to be good photos soon. All I know is the guitar was sooooooooooo delicious and I'd never seen a JS like that before...
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
There was a light blue metallic 542R with 3 single coils in the early 90's...
That's the first thing I thought of too. The description sounded like a cross between the 542R (3 singles with rosewood board) and the 442R (HSS with maple board), but the headstock was natural on both of those. I bet Frank's right though -- sounds like a custom build. It'll be interesting to see if whatever this is has a nonlocking trem -- that's something we've never seen on a JS (only Edges and fixed bridge).
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
That's the first thing I thought of too. The description sounded like a cross between the 542R (3 singles with rosewood board) and the 442R (HSS with maple board), but the headstock was natural on both of those. I bet Frank's right though -- sounds like a custom build. It'll be interesting to see if whatever this is has a nonlocking trem -- that's something we've never seen on a JS (only Edges and fixed bridge).
Well from what I saw (from 30 feet away) it was an Edge-ish trem with the triple locking nut, chrome hardware, white pickups and that electric/metallic light blue finish w/ matching headstock.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Joe said in a blog post over at MusicRadar.com that the guitar hecis using is a JS prototype but doesn't mention the year.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb451 View Post
Well from what I saw (from 30 feet away) it was an Edge-ish trem with the triple locking nut ...
Ah, OK -- I wasn't clear on that when you just said it was floating. Still, the maple board with single coils is unique and cool.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 AM

Was it the same colour as this JS that Joe presented to Jimmy Fallon, which I cannot post a link to due to the rules!

tweetphoto.com/10866902
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM

here 'tis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuO7wKPxnBs
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:14 PM

It's the prototype for the 22 fret JS - he mentioned it in an interview somewhere and said they made a blue one for him that probably wasn't going to be the production colour.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

wow that is breath taking.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM

All I can say is, any color as long as it has a matching headstock.

Oh, except black.

-cp
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM

But I'd probably pass on SSS, I'm a HH guy and I already have a Strat for those rare occasions I want to hear that in-between sound.

-cp

Tags
js1000 , satch , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode