JS + Lukather = Lukasatch? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

JS + Lukather = Lukasatch?

Hey,
Here's a guitar I recently finishing putting together. It's a JS600 body (the lowly brethren of the JS6) with a 1984 Ibanez Lukather neck on it. Got the neck for $40 in an auction. The Lukather model (RS1010SL) was only made in 83-84, with the 84's having 22-fret necks. By all accounts, Lukather's relationship with Ibanez didn't go well, but this is a pretty wonderful neck. It has an ebony board (not common on Ibys) and I love the inlays. It feels very strat like and has a nice vintage tint. The original Roadstar-style headstock was stripped and reshaped to the current style.

I picked up the body in an auction for $125, and it was in great shape. I did have to do a little fine tuning of the heel route to get the neck to fit properly. I had the IBZ F4 and F2 pickups lying around from some other project, along with the tuners and most other hardware. I did replace the original bridge with the Gotoh hardtail ($45) that comes on the JS6. The total cost for the project was about $210.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this guitar, but I'm really loving it. I had no idea what this weird combination would turn out like, but somehow the ebony board, IBZ pickups and basswood body produced some serious mojo. Moral of the story is that you can do a lot with little cash if you're patient and choose the components carefully.

Here's the pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: JS + Lukather = Lukasatch?

Nice guitar!! Inexpensive, and nice looking w/good parts....good job
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 PM

Awesome Bert. I dig it!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Reviews: 3

I have an RS400 which has an arched top body shape like to the Lukather (minus the maple top). It almost seems like Ibanez tweaked it to later become the JS shape. Great guitar, I love that thing.

How did you re-shape that headstock?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Glad you guys like it -- simple but sweet, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifehitz View Post
How did you re-shape that headstock?
Awhile back I made a routing template out of MDF material to do this to another Roadstar headstock. The reshape isn't exact, but it fools the eye unless you have the two side-by-side (modern vs my mod).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 AM

i really dig that neck! and i have always loved the aerofoil body type! great job!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Reviews: 59

Very cool. I love that you were able to do it on the cheap and get such a nice looking result.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:34 PM

would it be a lukasatch or maybe a satchather?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM

What a beauty!The unmatching headstock looks cool, a little bit like current JS1600...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM

That looks really cool and matches up well by the looks of it. Nice guitar. The only thing i'm not totally keen on are the inlays, but then again it's not my guitar.

Tags
js600 , lukather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode