JS model selection help needed from experts - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

JS model selection help needed from experts

Hey needed some advice... I have been saving up for a JS guitar for quite a while patiently... time to pull the trigger now.

I needed some advice on what model of JS i should get.. Figured i would start with what models there are there... Figured I would make a complete list here...

JS100: Black, White, Transparent Red
JS1000: Black Pearl, Burnt Transparent Blue
JS1200: Candy Apple Red
JS1600: Silver (fixed bridge..no tremolo???)

Am I missing any?

Now the questions...

US or Import?
Which model?
Any special features?
Any good or bad choices?
etc, etc

Not really needing the 24 fret model....

I really liked the chromeboy but they hard to find... (thinking I could always paint mine up like that)

looked online for a while and hoped maybe some knowledgeable guitarists might help me decide whats best...

so far my top choice is the JS1000, black. (saw a blue one from Japan i think) which made me wonder what models, features, options I am unaware of

thanks, any help, advice, thoughts or suggestions appreciated

And if i decide to get a used one, anything i should look out for?

I'm playing rock, hard rock and heavy metal type music.. Satriani, Maiden, Metallica, Ozzy, etc.

appreciate the time...

Last edited by fastforded; 02-12-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM
Banned

Re: JS model selection help needed from experts

js 1200 if you want some bluesy tones like a strat
mix strat/les paul

js 1000 for other thing (paf joe/paf pro)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister disto View Post
js 1200 if you want some bluesy tones like a strat
mix strat/les paul

js 1000 for other thing (paf joe/paf pro)
More rock, hard rock and metal...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 AM

you also have some quiet affordable anniversary models, like the JS90th model.
It costs approx twice the price a JS1000 if it's in pristine condition.

But in Player's condition, it's also a good choice. It has an ebony fretboard + special flip/flap finish which is really cool in personn.

There where 4 colors for JS 1000 : TB, BP, BTB and WH. BTB is a bit different than the TB one (some of them look like blue "camouflage" for me).

You can also buy a JS900 BP : it only has no high pass filter...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

There are a whole host of rare and unusual JS guitars that have been produced over the last 20 odd years.

They started off with the original JS1 which has been available in both HH and HSH configurations. They're been available in black, white and "inferno red".

The original Chromeboy model was the JS2. Rare as hens' teeth, but possibly the "ultimate" JS guitar.

We then had the JS3, 4 and 5 the Donnie, Electric Rainbow and Rainforest graphic finishes.

Next was the JS6 a natural finished mahogany bodied, fixed bridge design.

Around 1994, the model designations changed and the budget series introduced.

The graphics were phased out and the JS1 morphed into the JS1000 still made in Japan, whilst the JS100 was a lower priced, Korean option with own brand pickups and lower cost hardware.

Similarly, the JS6 morphed into the JS6000 whilst the budget option fixed bridge was the JS600.

A couple of years later, we saw the JS700 with wraparound bridge and twin p90 pickups. It's unusual as it had a mahogany body and neck. These have been made in Japan AND Korea and can be most readily distinguished by the 21st fret inlay.

Around this time the JS900 also featured, another Japanese beast and like Scanlan said, it lacked some of the trick JS electronics.

After that, the JS1200 appeared in Candy Apple Red with colour matching headstock and a revised pickup, other than that it's essentially the same as the JS1000.

There have been 10th and 90th anniversary models in Chrome and chameleon/flip flop colours and that's about it.

If you decide to buy used, you should know about some trem changes in 2003 (to the Edge Pro trem) this was viewed less than favourably by some and many (including Satriani) seem to prefer the older style bridges.

Personally I'd go for the JS1000 in black pearl as the most bang for the buck. Mine seems to be bullet proof. And, in the very understated colour never looks out of place.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 PM

You can find JS1200s in very good condition for a good deal on Ebay. The finish is probably the best out of all the "common" JS guitars IMO, and it feels, plays, and sounds great. I can get nearly any style tone out of it, even with a crappy amp.

The 1000 is a great choice as well. Looks great and feels great. I'm not sure about the hardware finish though, as cosmo seems to not be a good long run choice, even assuming that you take great care of it (at least for someone with incredibly sweaty hands like me).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 AM

the js1000 or js1200 are going to be your best option, its a case of do you like black or red basically, both guitars are awesome, before you make a decision though i would pop into an ibanez dealer and check out the 1200's finish, pictures dont do it justice, in the flesh it looks awesome, steer clear of the 100's they are nice guitars but you will always wish you got yourself the proper js, I have the js1000btb, the finish is an aquired taste, someone on here called it the blue cow finish, but i love it and everyone of them is slightly different. if you can get hold of the js90th ham do it that has an amazing finish to it

Tags
ibanez , joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode