JS Neck Issues.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

JS Neck Issues....

So, Im wanting to change the hardware colour on a JS to solid black... (Not cos mo).... its all been pretty easy so far..... I will be routing it out for a Lo Pro Edge Trem which will be shimmed to match the radius of the neck... however I don't know what to do about the locking nut... from what I understand, its a 42mm nut with a 250mm radius?.... anyone know where to get one in black or a quick fix?... lost as to how to make this work.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 AM

Re: JS Neck Issues....

Hmm I think the only JS nut that came in black is rare and through mount. Maybe a regular floyd nut would work? I'm not sure if the dimensions are the same though or if you can even get the same spacing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 05:24 AM

Paint or Powder Coat one black-
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM

Sean777,

I've been looking for locking nuts for a while for a build i'm planning and to best of my knowledge, floyd rose R2 (R7 if you need the truss rod channel on the bottom of the nut) is the one that fits. It is 1 5/8" (41.275 mm) with 250 mm radius. They are made by Schaller in Germany and can be had for about 35-30 USD here in the US. I believe warmoth and Stewmac sells them. also auction site seller azjman (no affiliation) has them for 36 USD and looks like ships free but it is a bit ambiguous if free shipping applies worldwide or not.

I bought a used one for 15 bucks on the auction site and I can verify that it is the exact same size with the one on my JS if you'd like to wait a couple of days until it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
So, Im wanting to change the hardware colour on a JS to solid black... (Not cos mo).... its all been pretty easy so far..... I will be routing it out for a Lo Pro Edge Trem which will be shimmed to match the radius of the neck... however I don't know what to do about the locking nut... from what I understand, its a 42mm nut with a 250mm radius?.... anyone know where to get one in black or a quick fix?... lost as to how to make this work.....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM

The Floyd Rose R2 I bought just arrived, in case you still need the dimensions, it is exactly 41 mm wide with exactly the same string spacing as the one on the JS.

One thing to keep in mind though, this one is 8.35mm tall compared to the 6.45mm nut my JS has, so you may have to sand the nut shelf on the neck a little bit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM

Any chance of a pic of the JS with black hardware...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post
Any chance of a pic of the JS with black hardware...
Turns out Rich had no black lo pros in stock so went with Cosmo Black....but I'll post pics when it's done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode