JS New Out of Box - What to expect? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

JS New Out of Box - What to expect?

I am just curious as to how well a JS new out of box is for playability.

I don't know if my JS1CR30 will be setup for me or just shipped straight to me. There's no one here where I live that can do setups as nice as Rich. I am fairly comfortable doing truss adjustments and a little fine tuning here and there but not familiar with shimming or any of the other stuff.

I generally use D'addario 9's on my guitars with a low smooth action. Most guitars come with 9's on them from my experience.

So I am wondering how well setup a JS guitar out of the box is? Will it require a lot of tinkering or should it be pretty much get up go?

Thanks for any info you guys/gals can offer.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Re: JS New Out of Box - What to expect?

Cant say any of mine needed any 'serious' work.... set the action to how you like it.... should be good to go.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:35 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrastruck View Post
I am just curious as to how well a JS new out of box is for playability.

There's no one here where I live that can do setups as nice as Rich.

JD
There's no one anywhere that can do setups like @Rich !
OCDemon is online  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:33 PM

Dont say that round Mike

There are a couple of guys here who do great setups, but they aren't Ibanez specific. I doubt your 1CR30 will need anything more than intonation/action... least you'd hope not!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 PM

I'd be surprised if it needs anything other than minor tweaks, usually the frets could be polished better with Prestige Ibanez's (but that's only visual). When my 777 arrived late last year it needed a neck alignment, I needed to disconnect the backstop (since it's a piece of **** that ruins tuning stability and trem feel) and the frets needed a final last minute polish (maybe because they had been sat in a warehouse waiting for Rosewood CITES certificates to pass).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I'd be surprised if it needs anything other than minor tweaks, usually the frets could be polished better with Prestige Ibanez's (but that's only visual). When my 777 arrived late last year it needed a neck alignment, I needed to disconnect the backstop (since it's a piece of **** that ruins tuning stability and trem feel) and the frets needed a final last minute polish (maybe because they had been sat in a warehouse waiting for Rosewood CITES certificates to pass).
the backstop when set up right helps tuning stability but yes it murders trem feel.
OCDemon is online  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
the backstop when set up right helps tuning stability but yes it murders trem feel.
In my experience it makes tuning stability worse, since it goes from perfect to "suspect". My 94 Jem 7V has the 24 year old original (Lo-Pro Edge) trem with years of use on it and it never goes out of tune, the backstop setup with my 777 would always return a little sharp or flat. Since I gave up on the backstop with my 777 I've not got tuning issues, that said it still doesn't hold tune as well as the 7V, over time the high E goes flat... A bit like a slow puncture on a tyre, so long as you give it a little juice every week or so it won't bother you, but it's there. After a few weeks I have to unlock the nut and reset the microtuner.

Either way, not much use in the backstop even if I could get it to maintain stability it still ruins the trem feel.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Well i will have to wait and see. i was speaking to an Ibanez distributor this evening about my order. Thinking my guitar would be here in May 2018 but sounds like it'll be more lik ein September 2018 I'll get it.

Quite the wait, but hopefully worth it in the end.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:46 AM
Contributor

Quote:
In my experience it makes tuning stability worse, since it goes from perfect to "suspect". My 94 Jem 7V has the 24 year old original (Lo-Pro Edge) trem with years of use on it and it never goes out of tune, the backstop setup with my 777 would always return a little sharp or flat. Since I gave up on the backstop with my 777 I've not got tuning issues, that said it still doesn't hold tune as well as the 7V, over time the high E goes flat... A bit like a slow puncture on a tyre, so long as you give it a little juice every week or so it won't bother you, but it's there. After a few weeks I have to unlock the nut and reset the microtuner.

Either way, not much use in the backstop even if I could get it to maintain stability it still ruins the trem feel.
I have an 87 radius and I will keep watch for what you are saying. I had an 88 S with backstop. It's certainly not something I'm a big fan of but I feel like it did it's job but at a big sacrifice for how the trem feels and responds.
OCDemon is online  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well i will have to wait and see. i was speaking to an Ibanez distributor this evening about my order. Thinking my guitar would be here in May 2018 but sounds like it'll be more lik ein September 2018 I'll get it.

Quite the wait, but hopefully worth it in the end.
How is the wait so long? I had a similar situation last year with my 777 though, I ordered it around late February/early March and I got the guitar around mid September. But that was due to issues with the Rosewood CITES certificates (despite it not having rosewood on it).
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
How is the wait so long? I had a similar situation last year with my 777 though, I ordered it around late February/early March and I got the guitar around mid September. But that was due to issues with the Rosewood CITES certificates (despite it not having rosewood on it).
They are made in Fugijen, so I guess a production time has to be booked in, then allow for inspection, shipping, etc... I think May-July is fairly decent considering previous JS models have been August/September.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I really don't know why. He (The Ibanez Distributor) was trying to explain it to me that the guitars have to be made that there are basically none in production right now until they get numbers in. originally I thought it was going to be May but thats when he gets something else, and they production around then. He said something about 2 shipments one in June/July and the other in August/Sept.

I really don't understand the process. Rich prolly has a better idea of whats going on there.

The distributor did say it's better I get the guitar in September as it's easier on the instruments being shipped from Japan to the US and so on as the environmental conditions(humidity) will vary greatly. Winter vs Summer warmer weather I guess. It makes sense but at the same time could be a load of malarkey.

I just keep hoping it'll come sooner rather than later.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I really don't know why. He (The Ibanez Distributor) was trying to explain it to me that the guitars have to be made that there are basically none in production right now until they get numbers in. originally I thought it was going to be May but thats when he gets something else, and they production around then. He said something about 2 shipments one in June/July and the other in August/Sept.

I really don't understand the process. Rich prolly has a better idea of whats going on there.

The distributor did say it's better I get the guitar in September as it's easier on the instruments being shipped from Japan to the US and so on as the environmental conditions(humidity) will vary greatly. Winter vs Summer warmer weather I guess. It makes sense but at the same time could be a load of malarkey.

I just keep hoping it'll come sooner rather than later.
Yeah I dunno how they do it.... last year the 2480s arrived here in NZ about 3 weeks before Rich got his, every other year it was about a month later.... Im told my JS1CR30 will arrive in April, and the 2nd one coming here, late June.... so I dunno how they work it all out...Rich will have a better idea

Tags
guitar , ibanez , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode