JS proto on eBay - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

JS proto on eBay

You guys see this? Rich? Something is off about it. The neck looks legit to me but the hardware is wrong. It looks to me like someone stripped a JS1000 and put the proto neck on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Re: JS proto on eBay

TAR: This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Joe-S...item3ce4a69847
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 AM

That looks pretty sweet.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Yeah that's the one.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Vendor

I've got a lot of questions about that guitar. No JS plate, no serial number, why is it stamped PROTO #1, why the bare headstock, it also looks clearcoated [it would have been left in the raw], why does it have cosmo hardware and not chrome.

I'm pretty sure it's from the series of wood sample guitars built during JS6 prototyping, and if so the angled output jack would be a butchered mess [like it is on my alder sample from that batch], but mine has a JS plate and typical LA serial number for 91'. Too many questions on that one.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Reviews: 5

That's an interesting looking guitar. Seller says Mike Lipe can verify that he built it and it's legit? I would certainly do my due diligence before I made a bid on it.....
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've got a lot of questions about that guitar. No JS plate, no serial number, why is it stamped PROTO #1, why the bare headstock, it also looks clearcoated [it would have been left in the raw], why does it have cosmo hardware and not chrome.

I'm pretty sure it's from the series of wood sample guitars built during JS6 prototyping, and if so the angled output jack would be a butchered mess [like it is on my alder sample from that batch], but mine has a JS plate and typical LA serial number for 91'. Too many questions on that one.
Yes, all those things. The neck struck me as legit due to the Custom Shop insignia thing with Mike Lipe's signature as well as the very large, very bold Ibanez logo, which is consistent with LACS.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:55 PM

The guitar that was on Ebay belongs to me and has since been confirmed by Ibanez USA as the real deal.

Last edited by Joe Hell; 02-23-2015 at 03:57 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:

The guitar at one point had the custom shop neck plate but the serial number was always blank. For some stupid reason about 18 years ago I put the neck plate on another Ibanez because I thought it "looked cooler"...unfortunately that guitar was stolen. The only clear coat on the guitar is on the back of the neck which I would assume was for playability. I have no answer for the color of the hardware.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
You guys see this? Rich? Something is off about it. The neck looks legit to me but the hardware is wrong. It looks to me like someone stripped a JS1000 and put the proto neck on it.

I acquired this guitar in the early 90's prior to the release of the JS1000. Believe me I was as skeptical as anyone.

Last edited by Joe Hell; 02-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
That looks pretty sweet.
I'd post more pics but I don't have enough posts yet to use a direct link.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM

I can't get anything larger than these until I reach 10 posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sat1.jpg (10.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Sat2.jpg (9.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Joe Hell; 02-23-2015 at 03:55 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Vendor

Who at "Ibanez USA" confirmed it, and "what" exactly did they confirm it's supposed to be?

There was no question it's LACS, the only question is why it was built. I'll stick by my guess above.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Who at "Ibanez USA" confirmed it, and "what" exactly did they confirm it's supposed to be?
Jay Perkins, Customer Service Manager...JS proto?

Last edited by Joe Hell; 02-05-2015 at 07:48 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:

There was no question it's LACS, the only question is why it was built. I'll stick by my guess above.
It's definitely raw wood. I'm not sure of the designation 'Proto #1' other than you have to start somewhere I guess. While it was on ebay I was contacted by another individual that said his brother had worked with Mike Lipe and Joe on the guitars and still owned a few but not the #1

From eBay guy: "Well my brother and mike built that guitar with joe. Chris was the A&R guy at the time. I have the original proto types of all the lines"

We didn't have any contact after that. I had a bunch of people on eBay contacting me so I thought it was best to remove the guitar until I could gather more information.

Last edited by Joe Hell; 02-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode