JS PU change sugguestions? - im thinking about changing out - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

JS PU change sugguestions? - im thinking about changing out

Hey guys,
* I'm thinking about changing out the PAF PRO on my JS, I was just looking for sugguestions. i want somethign that wont get muddy with the high gain of my Legacy head. *if you have this combo and dont get muddieness, i think my amp might need repair* but anyway. Im looking for sugguestions on something that will really sing and have that warm tone but wont get muddy.

Im thinking about the FRED or Air Norton. what do you guys think?

JR

*Edit- Combo being JS/Legacy, not Legacy combo amp*

(Edited by SuperUnderwhereMan at 1:48 am on Jan. 10, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:48 AM

JS PU change sugguestions?

L****? high gain? lol....Your getting a muddy sound with a PAF in the neck? I don't understand that....maybe you should try and get your amp repaired. The Fred might be cool if your lookin for something else, Air Norton or Tone Zone might be cool as well. But I'd check into your amp first because I played a JS through a Le g*y
combo and loved all the sounds I got.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

I would concider the Legacy to have a high ammount of Gain...... wouldnt you?

and i use alot of it. i know the Legacy is hard to get muddy... but the bottom end is REALLY tubby. It might be that i have a cab with Greenbacks in it..... i belive they switched to Vintage 30's a while ago? anyway... i am going to have the amp serviced if i can find the invoice for it. I know the year warenty isnt up yet. other wies ill take it to a local tech. and try it through a cab with vintage 30's.

after that.... if i dont come to any conclusions i will have the neck pu changed... dont really wanna do it myselfe allthough i could. might as well get it done professionally

Ive herd of Carvin replacing the greenback cabs if you ask them to....

ok this is getting off topic here. umm..... oh how i fear of being shuned.

JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS JS

say THAT 10 times fast!

Has anyone else changed the PU's on a JS here? how did you like it? sorry if im being annoying... and Glen or whoevers lookign at this. sorry for getting offtopic, itll be about JS pu's from now on up.

JR
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If you do want to reduce the output and lows from your neck pickup, you might try the "Humbucker From Hell" which has about 2/3 the output of the PAF Pro and a lot more highs.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 01:24 PM

Might as well pull out a Satriani move and put in Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates...they're hot pick ups with great tone! *I was thinking about doin that to the next JS that I purchase!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

For SOME reason that sounds a little sacraligious to me *LOL*. Even though Satch DID do it with one of his 10ths ibelive?, Ive got an over obsesive thing with Dimarzio. Dimarzio states about the Air Norton that " It's fat and warm, but not muddy. It's hot, but not distorted. It's even got cool harmonics." and that sounds alot like what i want but im really interested in what the FRED sounds like in the neck of a JS HEHE :thumbsup:

JR
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 02:29 PM

Damn, that's not a bad idea man! *Fred in the neck...I wonder what type of overtones it would pick up?! *Oh man...now ya got me curious...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

From dimarzio.com :
" Joe uses the FRED® strictly as a bridge pickup, but it's also a distinctive neck pickup"

it WOULD be verry cool in the neck. espically with a 22 fret neck. *since it tightens up and all that...... it woudl sound VERRY cool i imagine.

BTW, spelling very with two r's has become a habit because my GF thinks its "cute"

JR
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 03:48 PM

HAha gotta love the way women can change their men
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

YA :glare: not really that cool though. She mannaged to take my 3 hour a day, every day pratice scheduyle down to MABY an hour a day, 4 days aweek schedule oh well its worth it ey?
She does have good tasts in guitars though..... JS's are her favriot *haha saved the thread from being locked*

JR
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 04:12 PM

Ahh yes I remember the days I was with my girl...was with her for 2 1/2 years, and I agree she was worth the sacrafice, but now she's gone... and I'm alone again! *leaving me with all the practice time I need again. *Hard to decide what times were better...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2002, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I know what your talking about...... when you have 2 loves in your live nothing is better than bitter sweet is it?

aaaaanyway.. enough sap.

There has to be people here with Other Dimarzio PU's in thier guitars. and i'd really like sugguestions from those of you out there that dont even have expierence with the PU's cuz most of you probably know more about them than me.

Didnt Iain want to put EVO's in his JS? i think i remember that from a while ago.... coulda been someone else though. i have been concidering the neck EVO but i dont know how it would match with the FRED.....

JR
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 12:03 AM

Well I have Semore Duncans in my strat. I have a Screamin Deamon in the bridge, a Hot Rails in the middle, and a lil 59 in the neck. I like them acually. But I think Dimarzio's pickups are better. I tried out a double fat strat the other day with 2 pearly gates in it. Sounds very very cool. If I had to choose between pickups it would be Dimarzio's all the way. I only got these because I knew nothing about gear and needed new pickups. You should change the pickups you have now into the Pearly Gates, but if you like your Fred, try the Fred in the neck position and see what happens! you can always x-change it for other pickups if you don't like it! :biggrin: oh and I was kidding on that Legacy high gain thing, it has a nice amount of gain, could go a little longer...but that's what a DS-1 is for! I like to have lots of gain for my leads.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 07:53 AM

Iain did put Evos in his JS. *They sound very good, though the guitar still sounds very much like a JS.

Personally, I like the PAF Pro as a neck pickup, but I don't usually use distortion with the neck pickup. *I have a J-Custom with a Fred in the neck. *It works better with distortion I think, but sounds a little 'flat' clean when compared to the PAF Pro. *If you're looking for something similar to the PAF Pro tone-wise, but with a little less bass, the Fred would probably be a good choice.

The Air Norton is also a great neck pickup, very smooth. *I've only played one a couple times, but wil be putting one in a guitar soon. *Sounds great clean as well.

The Humbucker from Hell, as Jono noted, is another great neck pickup to use with distortion, very very smooth, brighter than most neck PUs, bu not in a bad way.

Either of those three should take you in the direction you're looking to go, the Air Norton would be my personal choice of the three.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

WELL~~~~~

I am happy to report back that I have solved the problem, I was just limiting the sigional so much going to the cab that the speakers wernt driving... leading a a sloppy sound..... i also starte using 1.20 or so gauge picks and that helps alot to get a crisper sound. I just need to get ahold of a 2-12 cab to use instead of my 4-12......

i still think i want to change the pu's on this guitar though.. maby AFTER i find a JS90, i will pack this baby full of some evo's or somethin... i could have it routed and put a sing coil in there too.... THAT would be verry nice.

but who would wanna cut a pice out of such a beautiful guitar?????

JR

Tags
air norton , beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , combo amp , double fat strat , duncan pearly gates , electric guitar , fat strat , fret neck , neck evo , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pearly gates , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode