JS Round Body Edges Suggestion - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By stratoskier
  • 1 Post By jemsite
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

JS Round Body Edges Suggestion

I stumbled upon my first JS guitar about 6 months ago. The two things I love about this guitar are the 42mm wide neck and the curved edges on the body. It just fits my hands and body so well. I have been searching the web for other guitars that have the body with rounded edges. All of them have slightly curved edges. I am guessing 1/4" routing, but I can't find any with a full rounding. Don't get me wrong, I love the JS series. It is by far my favorite guitar, feel and sound wise. I guess my hope is to find a guitar without a floating trem, that just isn't so expensive. I would even take a Gio. I found they are the only other Ibanez guitar with a 42mm width but the rounded edging isn't there. I played a S520. The neck felt a bit wide (43mm) and I wasn't crazy about the body style, but it was the closest thing to a JS I could find and It starts at a much cheaper price. Any suggestions?

I am even having trouble finding inexpensive unfinished bodies in that style.

Once I get some cash saved up I am shooting for a JS2410 MCO. That guitar is my dream.

Thanks!!

Cosmo JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Re: JS Round Body Edges Suggestion

I think your best bet would be a used 540R, but it would also come with a 43 mm nut width. Barring that, the next would be a JS140.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 02:59 PM

540Rs still have a floating trem, which the OP said he'd like to avoid. But yes, the Radius line shares a lot in common with the JS series.

There are other Radius models (442R and 542R) that do not have floating trems. There is also the RV470, but, despite being part of the Radius series, the bodies on those were pretty different than the JS or other Radii. Finally, there are the fixed bridge JS models (JS6/6000 and the budget JS600 version). None of the above are common, but they can be found with a little patience.
kissTheApex likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I think your best bet would be a used 540R, but it would also come with a 43 mm nut width. Barring that, the next would be a JS140.
I like the JS140's. I keep waiting for a used one to come along so I can snatch it up. The 540R has the right body style also, but they are above the range I am looking for. Plus they both have the floating bridge, which isn't really what I want. If I find a good deal on one of them I may buy it and swap in one of those tremel-no systems, or some kind of bridge lock.

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

block the bridge on a clean, used JS1000. these are all over the place cheap. Skip the 140.
OCDemon likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
540Rs still have a floating trem, which the OP said he'd like to avoid. But yes, the Radius line shares a lot in common with the JS series.

There are other Radius models (442R and 542R) that do not have floating trems. There is also the RV470, but, despite being part of the Radius series, the bodies on those were pretty different than the JS or other Radii. Finally, there are the fixed bridge JS models (JS6/6000 and the budget JS600 version). None of the above are common, but they can be found with a little patience.
A fixed bridge JS model is the best of everything I am looking for at the moment. I didn't realize they made those. I will definitely keep an eye out for them.

I find it funny that this body style is so rare. I can't even find the rounded edges on other company's guitars. I started pricing out wood blanks and routers so I can just start making my own.

Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I didn't mention the fixed bridge JSs as I thought even the Korean fixed bridge JS would be on par ($ wise) with a used 540R. I didn't know about the 442R-552R though. I don't think I remember seeing one. How are they priced/what should one expect to pay for one if found used?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:16 PM

Forgot about the JS700 -- a lot of people are fond of those. I see a 600, a few 700s and a JS6 on the Bay now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Vendor

JS1600
JS2000
OCDemon likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Contributor

JS2000 is a wildly underrated JS guitar and guitar in general.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

I didn't realize there were so many JS guitars with a fixed bridge. Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep my eyes open for a deal on one. I really love my JS and wouldn't mind starting a little collection of them. I also decided to start building JS style bodies from guitar wood blanks. I will post the projects in the appropriate thread for you guys to check out.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 PM

I love my JS-700, picked this beauty up just before christmas last year and just can't seem to put her down. She's a 98 Japanese version with the JS Custom inlay and is in virtually mint condition (one little surface scratch that you see unless you know where to look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JS-700 Front.jpg (283.7 KB, 23 views)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
JS2000 is a wildly underrated JS guitar and guitar in general.
I agree! A double locking fixed bridge does not make any sense until you own a guitar with a double locking fixed bridge.

Tags
body , edges , rounded , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode