JS versitality - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

JS versitality

Is the JS versitile?

By this I mean is it good for metal, punk blues and funk (stuff I mainly play, badly)

Oh and, what does the high pass filter do and which pickup is coil tapped?

Andy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 04:12 PM

Just about any Ibanez is good for anything, and the JS is no exception.

The high pass filter, I'm not really really sure what it does, but from what I've heard, it doesn't do much. The two humbuckers' inner coils are tapped.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 07:39 PM

the high pass filter retains the high frequencies at lower volumes, i use it a lot to get a sitar like sound (think metallica's wherever i may roam ). otherwise, it's great for prevening your pickups from getting muddy at low volume (on the guitar)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 08:08 PM

Has Joe ever used either live or in the studio?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:29 PM

The coil tap affects all the pickups. When you pull the tap and put the pickup selector in the middle position, you get this awesome sound that's hard to describe - it has characteristics of a lot of different guitars, a tele-like shimmer, LP-like bell tone. It's really it's own kind of instrument and it's very versatile. Lessee,

(three pickup positions) X (four knob toggle combinations) X (at least a half dozen reasonably different volume and tone knob combinations) X (any number of effects)

= a tweakers dream of different tones!

As for pulling off the different musical styles you mention, that's really up to you. It's not gonna replace a semi-hollow for jazz tones, but there's more than one way to define jazz. The only way to really know if a guitar is right for you is to really spend some time with it (unfortunately). It took a long time for the JS to warm up to me, perhaps because I got mine new and it still thought it was a tree, but it's always been my experience that the break-in period is for both guitar *and* owner.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 PM

not sure if joe used it live/studio but i know that he used it for a short while in that video where he jammed with vai at the harmony hut (i can't remember where i found the video), he was using it for some different clean sounds
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:29 AM

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 09:56 AM

Well, JS models enjoy a full versability for current music. Clean sounds are just open to blues/jazz musics and with a distortion sound you can go from texas blues style to hard styles (with the exception of gothic style which Joe anyway does not record). In other words, these axes are just great but you have some sound differences depending on the material (see rare JS10TH or JSY2K models and those with fixed briges ...). It's all I can say briefly. The best test is to go and try one JS model at your nearest dealer to ensure it fulfills with what you're searching for
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:32 PM

it wont sound exactly "scooped-metal" but rather keep a rock crunch and vibe to it. i like that!
the neck is so easy to play. great guitar, really!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

grrrrrrr bloody GAS.

I don't know whether I should get a JEM7DBK or the JS1000

Argh it's not fair!

Andy!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 03:24 PM

ooooh, believe me... with the correct effects and at high volumes you can do heavy metal

i like the bluesy sound of it over everything else, though, tbh
it even outmaneuvered the lespaul with seymour duncans and my esp telecaster... in my opinion at least...

the screaming fred and the smooooth paf .....

/me runs off to play
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:09 PM

paddy, the JS1000 all the way, it's more of a complete guitar in my opinion.

@ saTa
heavy metal prolly, but having that scooped obscene sound like after forever is harder

if i have to describe the the js1000 in a sentence, i'd say it is exactly the type of guitar you can have a love affair with. when i played it, the seller gave me a strap, so i could test it sitting and standing, and i loved it both ways, even though standing gave me the impression of really flying.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 PM

jem/js?

go for the js! :P

as sam said... a more complete/versatile guitar, at least as far as i know and as far as my experiences with jem's reach (having one borrowed for 2 weeks... :/)

i just love the js :P (js90th for me)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:57 PM

man the JS is a hella veristal guitar. The high pass filter is great, I thought it sounded like a crappy idea before I played with it, but after using it, its great. I use it to help comtrol my distortion level in situations when I can't get to the gain knob on my amp to easily. Great pickups, coil taps, a high-pass filter, the great JS body shape, and a thin assed neck make it not only a verisital guitar, but really really comfortable.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 AM

JS Series are indeed versatile. I play a wide variety of music and my JS never let's me down. You can get some very good Jazzy tones with the Coil Tap engaged. I get a very neat tone with them (think Steve Vai's "Sisters" and "Boy From Seattle"), add some chorus and you get a very good Satch "Midnight" tone. But of course the way the tone can be described all depends on what you're playing and how you're playing it. I can go from a scooped-Metal tone to an Yngwie-like tone with the flick of the pickup switch.

Tags
body shape , coil tap , gain knob , heavy metal , high pass filter , inner coils , pickup switch , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode