JS Vs. JEM (for me) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

JS Vs. JEM (for me)

Hi guys, great website you got here, I've been reading for a long time but never really decided to post anything until now.

For the last few months I've been having the dilemma between a JS1200 and a JEM7WH. I'm mainly a shredder, but I love to rock the blues sometimes. I'm a big fan of the vintage Fender feel too, so......What do you guys think is better for me?

P.S: I've tried both and like them both equally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Re: JS Vs. JEM (for me)

Sounds like the JS is a better fit for you, but only you can decide which you want. They are very different guitars -- both great but different -- apples/oranges.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Yeah I'd go for the JS if you're into strats, the body is sexier I think. And comfier. I think the fretboard radius is different too - did you notice a difference when trying them out?
post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 PM

blues and vintage?

JS for sure
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Reviews: 18

If you're a fan of the vintage Fender feel, I'd definitely go for the JS. The neck and fretboard alone will let you get as close as possible to a strat without any major modifications.

Jimmy
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I've been hearing about this high pass/coil tap, thing. If I understand it right, that means that my sound will remain consistant even if I turn down the volume knob, can somebody please elaborate on the concept so I can further understand it?
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 PM

yeah, usually when you turn the volume down on the guitar it cleans up (less gain) and also becomes warmer.

With this high pass filter it will allow more treble through so your sound doesn't get very warm when you turn it down.

the coil tap basically turns your humbuckers into single coils.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Reviews: 65

Sooner or later you will simply buy both...

Best guitars to have (and available new): 7VWH + JS1200 + something in the middle
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 AM

Dont forget the nut width is different on the 2 necks, 42mm on the JS and 43mm on the Jem, might not seem like a lot, but for me, it makes the string spacing feel MILES wider on the Jem, so I prefer the Jem neck for playing anything that I need to sound clean (i.e. not sloppy).
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire View Post
yeah, usually when you turn the volume down on the guitar it cleans up (less gain) and also becomes warmer.

With this high pass filter it will allow more treble through so your sound doesn't get very warm when you turn it down.

the coil tap basically turns your humbuckers into single coils.
Don't forget the JS1200 has the high pass on a push pull pot, so, if you want the sound to warm up when you back off the volume you can.
Jim
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

One thing that sways the JEM in my direction a little, besides the fact that it looks so friggin cool, is that it has that really sharp biting tone that I enjoy, and it has the whammy bar ditch (don't know the proper name, sorry) dug out deeper, so I can go further with the whammy, something I use a lot.

The JS I like the playability of maybe a tiny bit more, but it has that kind of bassy sound which is cool and all, but that I don't like as much as the super sharp, biting sound of the JEM. And the whammy bar ditch isn't as deep, that's not a super big complaint, but still, the deeper the better as far as I'm concerned.

Is it possible to get that really sharp biting sound with the JS? And is the whammy bar ditch in the JEM really THAT much deeper?
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
but still, the deeper the better as far as I'm concerned.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 AM

Being a Strat player my Jem7vwh felt awkward when I first got it. I almost thought I'd made a mistake in buying it sight unseen and having never played one. After a month of breaking into it it became my favorite guitar. I still love my Strats too, it just took some adjustment getting used to the extremely different necks. No regrets on my JEM purchase.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
One thing that sways the JEM in my direction a little, besides the fact that it looks so friggin cool, is that it has that really sharp biting tone that I enjoy, and it has the whammy bar ditch (don't know the proper name, sorry) dug out deeper, so I can go further with the whammy, something I use a lot.

The JS I like the playability of maybe a tiny bit more, but it has that kind of bassy sound which is cool and all, but that I don't like as much as the super sharp, biting sound of the JEM. And the whammy bar ditch isn't as deep, that's not a super big complaint, but still, the deeper the better as far as I'm concerned.

Is it possible to get that really sharp biting sound with the JS? And is the whammy bar ditch in the JEM really THAT much deeper?
You wont get a JEM sound out of a JS easily. They are 2 totally different guitars. If you like the sound of the JEM you should get one.
I don't own a JS (yet) but testing them both on whammy abuse I didn't feel much of a difference in bending up.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM

I always thought the Fred pickup in the JS was a bit biting. Lots of high end. Of course I ended up putting an X2N into my JS-1 and talk about bit and bark.

Tags
air norton , alder bodied , amp settings , andy timmons , coil tap , evo pickups , fretboard radius , gary moore , high pass filter , ibanez guitars , jem bfp , jem dna , jem neck , john petrucci , neck pickup , neck scale , neck shape , petrucci model , pink floyd , recessed trem , signature guitar , steve vai , string thru body , tone monster , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode