JS vs. S series - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

JS vs. S series

I found an Ibanez S1520FB in a store and thought was pretty cool. Can anyone tell me how this guitar compares to a JS1000? They're both prestige models. Up here in Canada, a JS1000 is special order only, so I've never gotten a chance to play one.

Is the JS1000 worth holding out for? Are there any more common Ibanez guitars that are as good or better than the JS1000? (I only know of Jems and of course other JS models).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 09:37 PM

It's not a better guitar, just different. Different necks, different body woods, different pickups, different sounds.

I'd rather have the S, but many would choose otherwise. I would never buy a guitar without playing it, so that should be a factor.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

This is my problem...in order to play one where I live I have to order it first! So, maybe someone could explain some of those subtleties to me, how the sound and feel differ from the JS to the S series. I know it's hard to do, but i have no other option.

I'd assume that the wizard neck is similar to the ultra in feel? Also, are the Fred pickups that much better than the standard S-series pickups? Anything to help me along...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 11:09 PM

I would take that particular S over any JS guitar except early models the 90 and 10 anniv,
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 12:15 AM

I quite like the S1220 and S1520... they're both very nice guitars. The JS is a very interesting creature... very versatile and vintage-sounding. I find Joe's tone to be a bit shrill and buzzy for my tastes, so i'd opt for something with more balanced-sounding wood and pickups.

If you like the Prestige S model, go for it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 03:53 AM

well i would choose the js but thats coz i love them and they sute how i play very well but if u cant get to play one fist i cant recomend the js or the s series(which you have played) you have to play a js1000 to know how good it is..............

so there was no point in me posting this realy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

sj vs. s

I'm still torn. I guess what you guys are saying is both guitars are great, I guess I can't go wrong with either one.

How about versatility...which would be the best for a variety of styles? (ie. going from hard rock to funk or blues) I've heard the JS1000 is very versitile, but the S series seemed pretty good too.

If the JS is indeed twangier sounding, I'd probably stick with the S series prestige model.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 08:32 PM

If the S still has H-S-H pups, I'd say it's more versatile. The JS gives you a "dual single coil" setting, but the pickup positions make it less stratty, IF you're after that sound. The S gives you both position 2 & position 4 sounds.

Of course, neither really NAILS a strat sound - you'd probably need alder and true single coils for that, among other things...

But as stated, both rock. IMO, the JS feels better - the slightly thicker neck and more rounded body are more comfy to me.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 03:07 PM
Ibanez endorsed

I will have to agree. I have owned a couple S series and I have owned allot of JS moels and JS model is just more comfortable to play (and the stock pickups sound better IMHO) Dont flame me Everybody's got an opinion and I am just statin' mine! lol
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

gnjgv

So much good press on both guitars. I've had my heart set on a JS for a long time...maybe I should trust my gut. It's hard to find anyone who will dispute this convincingly. Esthetically, I prefer the JS, and comfort is a big factor. Does the JS neck feel alot thicker than the wizard? I'm used to a pretty thick neck on my Washburn. One thing about the S-series neck is that it feels a little too skinny.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:48 PM

Ok, I'll pitch in my .02

I was always a big fan of Joe's sounds. Back before I ever heard of him,
I was always wanting a double humbucker sound, but in a strat style
body, but with a thin neck. I like the fat tone of a good humbucker, but
the Les Pauls were just not my style, and too heavy. The PRS were sweet,
and could pull the sounds I was looking for, but at $2500 for a decent
model, it was out of my price range (I was also 18 at the time). Stock
strats didn't cover it for me...too thin sounding...and all the other Carvin,
Gibsons, Deans...were close, but not quite right.

Then one day I hear of this Joe Satriani guy, and I'm like, WOW he's
playing my guitar! The shape, the tone, the style. That' was where I
wanted to be! Now, keep in mind, I got into Joe kinda late. I didn't hear
of him till Flying in a Blue Dream...so he already had his JS style guitars.

So I saved up and got a JS-3, aka, Donnie.

To this day, after playing hundreds of different guitars, being a pro road
tech for 2 years, and bench tech for 4 years, building and modding guitars
for about 7 years...The JS guitars are the closest damn thing to my
dream guitar.

Honestly, there are only two things I would change on the JS.
I would use a thinner neck (Like the S series, or even a JEM neck),
and I wish it were made out of mohogany for a more rich tone (IMHO).

The S series is my runner up though. I find the pickups plain, and
(most) of the styling rather run of the mill. There were a couple of
exceptions though. I don't recall the model, but it was a mohogany
with an Edge, and H-S-H configuration. Though I never use the Single,
it's very versital. And if I were to purchase and S model, I would
probably go with a Fred bridge, (whatever single), and PAF Pro Neck.
It's been a while though since I've played with pickups, so maybe some
of the newer pickups might be more to your liking, but the FRED and PAF
Pro are just a stunning mix!

Ok, sorry to ramble. I guess I gave you .04 cents.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Yeah the neck is thicker like a Strat. Remember that before Joe started to play Ibanez guitars he used Strats mostly. I would say the neck is in between the Strat and the S series neck. Its a nice comfortable feel (IMHO)

If you like mahagony more you might try a JS6 or a JS700
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

fjhf

The S-series model 1520 only has 2 pickups, but still has a 5 way selector. I am going to try it out again tommorrow. Who knows, I might just buy it. It is a bit cheaper than the JS1000 here. Another thing I'll have to get used to is no inlays to help navigate the fretboard. Oh well, I'm sure I'll adjust...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 08:03 AM

Maybe I'm biased, but I still really like my s series . It's the one with the HSH and edge, and is black with the sharktooth. Basically I love the styling.

Playing wise it has been superceded by my love of UV's at the moment, but it still gets picked up quite a fair bit and it was my main axe for years , If they had made a 7 string S series with an AANJ and Edge trem with the HSH combination I'd of bought it quite simply, as I love the body shape. Very comfy.

Sound wise I cannot for the life of me remember what the stock pups sounded like as it has pretty much always had EMG's in it. Mahogony is very nice though

As for differences with the JS, I'd say the neck joint is a pretty big difference (AANJ on the S, square heel on the JS)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

yyrfy

I decided not to buy the S-1520 quite yet. It kicks ass but, I really wanna try the JS1000 first to make sure. I think what I'll do is order it, then try it out and decide. The worst that can happen is they will use my deposit as store credit, which I don't mind as I go through alot of strings anyway. The S-series still feels a little anorexic to me, maybe a slightly beefier neck would suit me better.

Tags
body shape , edge trem , fat tone , humbucker sound , ibanez guitars , jem neck , joe satriani , les paul , les pauls , neck joint , paf pro , paf pro neck , pro neck , strat sound , strat style

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode