jem 10 anniversary action - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy jem 10 anniversary action

Hi

I recently bought a jem 10th anniversary in mint cond, I have changed the strings and adjusted the trem springs so the unit is paralel with the body however I am now getting fret buzz on a few of the strings. Whats the best way to get rid of this...do I adlust the height at the trem or adjust the saddles individually
Any advice appreciated

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: jem 10 anniversary action

In my opinion perfect set up with NO BUZZ is impossible in that kind of guitars; play it through an amp, clean and dirty, strumming at "concert rates" to check if the buzz is audible unplugged-clean-dirty.

If the buzz is not audible clean (and of course dirty) you can live with it.

I have several jems and most of them have a slight buzz around 3rd fret and 14th fret; it is slight, only audible unplugged and I have not found any way to eliminate it without raising the trem and bending the neck at dangerous extremes... so Im happy with low action and slight buzzing :-)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM
NSR

I doubt it'll be the saddles, but there could be a number of things that you could do to resolve your problem. Unfortunately, without it being in an expert's hands, you're going to be short of a definitive answer. You could raise the trem a little (don't forget to unlock the studs 1st). But chances are, you could need; the bow adjusting, the nut raising, a shim adjusting (or installed depending where it originated from) under the neck or some fret work.

Seeing as you're in Cheshire, get in touch with Max at Cottam Guitars (link at the top of the page) and arrange to have him look at it. You'd be much better off in the long run putting it into the hands of someone who'll know how to service it properly. Best advice I can give, especially for something so valuable.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 1

not hijacking the tread, just curious, what are the implications if you lower or raise the trem without unlock the studs?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
not hijacking the tread, just curious, what are the implications if you lower or raise the trem without unlock the studs?
pull out the stud insert, strip the stud and or insert, strip the lock screw. thats mainly what can and will happen if you dont loosen the lock screws.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz1b View Post
Hi

I recently bought a jem 10th anniversary in mint cond, I have changed the strings and adjusted the trem springs so the unit is paralel with the body however I am now getting fret buzz on a few of the strings. Whats the best way to get rid of this...do I adlust the height at the trem or adjust the saddles individually
Any advice appreciated

Bob
what frets is the buzz at? nut through 5th or higher register (around 12th)?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Its in mint condition, theres no fret or nut wear, I may try and adjust the trem but am a bit unsure, how do I unlock the studs, is it a small allen key down the larger adjusters

Bob
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks

Its in mint condition, theres no fret or nut wear, I may try and adjust the trem but am a bit unsure, how do I unlock the studs, is it a small allen key down the larger adjusters

Bob
yes a 1.5 mm but what frets is it buzzing at?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

sorry didnt see recent posts, it seems to buzz at the first fret, if I fret going up the neck there is no buzz,it buzzes on open strings and first fret

Bob
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 AM

personally, i would shim the nut. then adjust trem.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jym-ellis View Post
personally, i would shim the nut. then adjust trem.
That makes a whole lotta sense if it buzzes open and first fret!

Follow this guy's advice!
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I slackened the lock nuts off and backed the 4mm trem nuts out a bit but no improvement.
The guitar is hardly used so would it need shimming at the nut as there is no wear?

How much is professional set up ?

Bob
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM

its normal to shim a nut man. you can use a business card cut to size if you dont have an actual nut shim . its all part of setting up a guitar to your liking after changing strings. a shim is not a sign of wear by the way

my guess is the neck relief will prolly be good. after shimming the nut you will prolly be able to lower the trem a bit. im guessing it will play as good as it did before if not better.

did you change brand and guage of strings? i say this because if you had stayed with factory string size and brand NO adjustments would have been needed
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM
NSR

Quote:
How much is professional set up ?
A lot cheaper than slashing slashing off several hundreds of pounds if you make a mistake. Expect to pay around 50...or thereabouts. As said before, there's a banner at the top of the page for Cottam Guitars. Getting in touch will be the best way to find out.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 AM

I don't know the actual specs of all JEM's or EVEN JS's but I have '01 JS1000BP and it has a nut shim.

I purchased a used '03 JEM 7VSBL last week and yup, it has a nut shim!

I *think* they all have one...those MIJ Ibanez I mean

Tags
jem 10th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode