Jem 10th vs. Jem 7VWH - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Jem 10th vs. Jem 7VWH

Hello Jemsiters ,

Any thoughts about similarity, difference, advantages, con and pros between those two beautiful guitars ?

If you can choose, which one will be your ?

For the guys having both of them -is the double or triple priced 10th worth such a money ,regarding cheaper vwh?

What you can do with 10th,and you can't do with 7vwh ?

Is the neck the same,or 10th is so better with its one piece neck ?
Electronics,pick ups ?

Please, when we're speaking about it,let forget that Vai use vwh or that there are only 800 of 10th.
Say,this is not important,only guitar talking.

Hope you will catch my point,let be objective,and take a look only at guitars, without messing with issues and legends surrounding them ....
Thanks for the inputs ,
BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Re: Jem 10th vs. Jem 7VWH

10th all the way! It's no contest
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:12 PM

The older Jem 7vwh's also had one piece necks. The only difference is that the Jem 10th looks a helluva lot nicer and has a bare wood neck while the Jem 7vwh has some satin finish on it. One thing the Jem10th can do that the Jem7VWH can't do is appreciate in value or at least the ability to get your money back if you decide to sell it in the open market(unless of course you overpaid to begin with).
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 2

I think that the 10th is the nicest Jem ever made.

the Jem 77VBK is a close alternative and a lot better priced. The Jem7V is a great guitar and has a wow factor, but the 10th's wow factor is slightly bigger if you ask me.

P
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 PM

They both have ebony boards and Evo's (at least pre-'03 VWH's)

the body of the 10th is Basswood, the body of the VWH is alder (whichever is your personal preference)

10th has a raw tsung oiled neck finish, the VWH is cleared.

the 10th obviously is fully bound and has a lot of very nice appointments, the VWH is scaled down a little from the 10th.

Really just depends on what you want to do with it. The y both will play and sound great, just depends on if you want a basswood body with evo's or an alder body with evo's.

If you want something to hold onto for resale, I would get the 10th, but if you just want a rocking player i'd get the VWH. Of course if you have the scratch and want a really sweet guitar to rock out on get the 10th and turn up your amp.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 AM

I may get crucified for this.... but I don't actually like the 10th at all. I'd go a vwh all the way. The contrast and colour in the neck.... is phenomenal. This is all personal preference as well cause I hate binding. A definite pro to the tenth is resale value.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:05 AM

The 10th's arent worth the price they go for but old basic sales experiance says its suply and demand. With that said I still think the 10th's are the most beatiful guitars ever made. The necks are the best feeling and looking aswell!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Reviews: 4

The 7V is a "standard" production model. It's been around since 1993.
The 10th is an aniversary limited model.

Other than that, they're basically the same (bar the looks).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 AM

My 2 cents. the 7V is the greatest sounding JEM while the JEM10 is the best looking JEM. I want a mahogany body/flame top JEM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I want a mahogany body/flame top JEM.
I'm afraid you have to go custom for that option. It would probably look great though!

A basswood body with quilted maple top would be nice too!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Rog

I have both and honestly?

My 2005 is the best locking tremolo guitar I have ever owned, and I have owned a few.

The 10th is great. The ebony helps notes fly off the board and its certainly clear sounding in position 2 and 4.

But...the rosewood board and alder body on the 7VWH give it a mid range sustain that means its more satisfying to listen to, plays great and feeds back so beautifully.

I handled Evo last year and just playing it unamplified for a few minutes I knew that Alder and Rosewood was the combination to have.

The 10th is beautiful and on its own sounds great but, as much as I want my 10th to appreciate in value, I have to be honest and state that for me the 7VWH is by far the better musicians instrument.

Theres a reason why Steve plays what he does (and theres a reason why he only played the opening number with his plastic 20th Ann!).
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone ;Rog ,to you especially !
So,you save my money,there is bidding in progress on UK i baj (guitar is in Germany,owner is certain Mr. Shahovic ) ,brand new 10th for E 5,500 plus ! ?
No one bid up to date ?!

Cheers,
BH
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Banned

steve vai has used a 7vwh since 1993 says enough for me.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Rog

Hi BH

I thought I should expand on what I said so I did an A-B comparison with near identical set ups.

I should point out that these are both awesome instruments - which is why I have kept both.

Here is some more information about the differences:

10th has significantly more low end. Especially noticed on low E string
10th also has brighter sound and I find myself sometimes turning the tone down.
7VWH has more mid range and a more classic rock sound.
7VWH neck and bridge pickup seem better matched (less of a gain drop from bridge to neck).

I can't help but feel that the pickups are actually different between the two guitars.

Utlimately the 10th sounds more modern and clearer, whereas the 7VWH has a more classic rock sound and is easier on the ears.

I should also point out that as soon as I bought the 10th I sold my Floral. The Ebony board and Evolutions seemed to make a great difference.

As I say these are both very special instruments and both extremely satisfying. I just find myself playing the 7VWH more.

Also note that with very high gain (lead channel on amp and DS1 on) you need to be carefull not to touch the pickups on the 10th as you will induce hum.

Hope this helps.

Rog
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 AM

thats sums it up the 7v is more playable and better sounding...
the 10th is better looking and more profitable..
but still when you get the 7v you get great looks and great sound.
the 10th is more of a collecters item..
if your a collecter get the 10th,
if you play get the 7vwh..
my opinions.

Tags
alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , bridge pickup , ebony board , ebony boards , locking tremolo , mahogany body , neck finish , production model , quilted maple , rosewood board , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode