JEM 2018? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

JEM 2018?

Is there going to be a new JEM? I doubt it. I have an idea, how about burning all the woody JEMS?!?!

There use to be so much forum / thread activity here. Makes me sad what has happened here. It has nothing to do with this site, but what is going on with music, RnR and guitar in general.

Swirls please!

I miss my VSBL (had 3 at one point), FP and BRMR.

I need to get again another JEM and never sell it, the qualifiers are VSBL, BRMR and GMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:38 AM

Re: JEM 2018?

eh eh why would you burn all the woody Jems?
post #3 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 AM

My good buddy out in PHX is waiting to see if there's going to be a 30th Floral. If not, he's going to get an RGR652.
post #4 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM

New Swirls? Nice idea, maybe the GMC? But I don`t think so, it was ward enough for Ibanez, to find customers for their last swirls (Universes).
Maybe a cheaper swirl, a swirl JEM jr, would be a nice idea?
post #5 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 AM

I'd love a 30th floral, ideally with a print or fabric that replicates the original 1988 pattern.
post #6 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
New Swirls? Nice idea, maybe the GMC? But I don`t think so, it was ward enough for Ibanez, to find customers for their last swirls (Universes).
Maybe a cheaper swirl, a swirl JEM jr, would be a nice idea?
And there are still UVs still available in Japan. Saw one in Osaka a couple weeks ago.
post #7 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM

Guitar forums in general seem to be a dying breed, I guess it's a generational thing combined with the severe dip in popularity for guitar music and guitar players in the last decade, you've got Ed Sheeran selling acoustics but that's about it. As for a new Jem, a new swirl that isn't a £4000 limited run like the Passion & Warfare guitars would be nice. Personally though I need to stop buying Jems, I've wanted a high end Strat and Telecaster for years, I was about to buy a Custom Shop Fender Tele and then ended up buying a 777 30th Anniversary.

I seem to have an irrational taste for Jems, in an ideal world I would end up with a big collection.. But I think we are a rare breed, Steve Vai isn't as big a name as he was 10-20 years ago and the Jem isn't really a modern type guitar anymore, we're just old. That said, I wasn't really a Vai fan when I bought my first Jem guitar (Gary Moore, Eddie Van Halen was my thing), I just really liked the guitar.. If a signature guitar looks the part and performs it doesn't need to be sold on the back of the artist, Les Paul being the greatest example.

Last edited by BigBazz; 01-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.
post #8 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
the Jem isn't really a modern type guitar anymore, we're just old.
I disagree. If the JEM hadn't existed for 30 years and they just came out with it today, it would still be a pretty funky design compared to what is typically out there. Of course design has come a long way and there have been some interesting ideas, mostly from the smaller boutique shops, but it's not like the JEM still isn't cool. It was more radical in 87' than it would be today, and since it's been around for 30 years now we take it for granted, but it sure doesn't suck
WMerkert and chris101 like this.
post #9 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If the JEM came out today with someone with an equally 'cool' celebrity persona as Vai at the peak of his popularity, it'd shift as many units as anyone's signature model at the moment.

I've tried pretty much everything that you can get, from Blackmachines to Suhrs To PRS but as a guitar that can do everything, I've not been able to beat the JEM with anything I've ever found. If Vai was at his most adventurous today, we might see the new-fangled neck joint off the new AZ series, we might see a scoop behind the lower horn, but most of that is so far along the law of diminishing returns it's nothing a few more hours practise can't solve.

I've got a few customs for this and that, but at the end of the day, it's a JEM that's my go-to guitar when I just want to 'play'. I seriously think that as a player, regardless of how cool it looks, the JEM is the best guitar ever designed.
jono is online  
post #10 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:16 PM

I agree with Rich and jono.
I started collecting guitars with early USA-charvels. They are great guitars but first they got expensive (5000 $ plus), than they were not any more available in the used guitars market. Some years ago I switched to Ibanez, when I got a UCEW, I liked it and now I do own Ibanez guitars of all USA-Lines (American Master 1 (MA2 and MA3), UCEW, UCGR, UCMD, Am Master 2, USRG). Great guitars, I like them and I enjoyed Jesses thread.
There are Fenders, Gibsons, a Suhr, a Valley Arts and a Tom Anderson in my collection.

But the one guitar, I would never sell, is my `87 JEM 777 LG.

I do play a lot with other guitar players in the age from 17 to 70 and they all like this JEM. Yes, the youth, too.
It has ever been a unique guitar and it still is. We maybe got older but this guitar is still young and fresh and absolutely not old-fashioned.
post #11 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

You guys are passionate about JEMs but surely a bit extreme and biased.

The RG/JEM was a really refined superstrat but lets get real.... superstrats are from a past era and certainly not "modern" by any stretch of our imagination. They're dated in every way especially looks... but not dated enough to be cool to anyone (like a Les Paul or Strat).

To me personally the JEM is totally stale and the recent models of the last few decades are proof. Of course this is to be expected as all JEM models after the VWH have been redundant (and pointless to the signature user) since the VWH is all Vai basically played (mostly... don't be anal in replying please). I gueess if they release a Sustainer JEM the "modern" production JEM would catch up to mid-80s.
Dutchie likes this.
post #12 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
You guys are passionate about JEMs but surely a bit extreme and biased.

The RG/JEM was a really refined superstrat but lets get real.... superstrats are from a past era and certainly not "modern" by any stretch of our imagination. They're dated in every way especially looks... but not dated enough to be cool to anyone (like a Les Paul or Strat).

To me personally the JEM is totally stale and the recent models of the last few decades are proof. Of course this is to be expected as all JEM models after the VWH have been redundant (and pointless to the signature user) since the VWH is all Vai basically played (mostly... don't be anal in replying please). I gueess if they release a Sustainer JEM the "modern" production JEM would catch up to mid-80s.
I will agree that the JEM is stale and as a physical guitar it reached its peak with the VWH over 25 years ago, but from an "evolutionary" standpoint, there's been no selection pressure to push "the guitar" further than the JEM went back then.

As a guitar, meaning a six string guitar for playing rock music, the guitar as an instrument hasn't evolved. Granted, there've been offshoots into fanfret multiscale 8-strings but that's not what most folks think of as a "guitar", so from a "guitar" point of view, we're where we were in 1987.

Similar "Modern" guitars take the same overall idea and put other builder's twists on it, fancy woods, vintage trems for "better tone" and such, but at the end of the day, a Suhr Modern, or a Charvel Guthrie Govan or an Anderson Guardian Angel is a JEM wannabee with a higher price tag. I completely understand that these guitars are now "cooler" but they're not actually a better "guitar". Just a more publically acceptable one.
jono is online  
post #13 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Vendor

Get real? I was real, when I said if the JEM didn't exist for the last 30 years [which means the RG didn't either] and it was introduced today, it "would still be a pretty funky design compared to what is typically out there." And would fit in with any modern design currently made. That's the definition of a timeless classic.
WMerkert and jono like this.
post #14 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:15 PM
site founder 0% owner

If the Jem was released today as a new line it would be just another Chinese guitar (jem Jr) but from a guy close to collecting social security benefits noone young knows about. But convince yourself otherwise if it makes you feel good.
post #15 of 241 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM
Vendor

Gibberish as usual.

Tom Quale and a LONG LINE of new artist models that have been rolled out the last several years are what? Fujigen, and not exactly cheap. Go back to your nap.
WMerkert likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode