JEM 2K DNA, Advice, a couple questions? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Coming from somebody who thinks that absolutely piece of sh!t Harpers neck was "good"
It's all and all better than the factory neck.
No doubt, but save your breath... ibanez hasn't removed that chip from the back of Rich's (human) neck just yet ...glen
Without the need to respond to the rest [because it's just not worth it] right here you're stating that the Harpers neck is all in all better than a factory DNA neck, and if that's not the biggest bunch of hogwash this side of Kentucky....

I'm no Joe worshiper, you always like to bring that up in an attempt to defeat any point I make, and I'm no brainwashed Ibanez worshiper either, anybody that reads this forum knows I have no fear in telling it like it is, good AND bad. Do I prefer Ibanez? Yes. Do I worship them? Who's got their head in the sand? I also [prefer a neck that doesn't feel like a 1x3. If you're so happy with that 1x3 on the GC then more power to you, but then you'll blast Ibanez for something so minor and praise the neck on your GC? Yea, that makes plenty of sense.

Yes, we hijacked this thread, which is about DNA's and which you've made how many responces to when you've never even touched one? There's some good first hand information for everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
The profile and feel to us IS BETTER than the wizard jem necks.

No doubt about it, and yes... your mileage will vary.. glen
post #63 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Vendor

You both could have saved several hundred and just mounted a 1x3 then
post #64 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncowan
The necks are awesome, especially if they are right for your hand size.
Or on the corollary they suck if they don't fit your "hand size" and the neck profile is too thin for your hands (feel) & ears (tone)

Quote:
The tone is great for a bolt-on. If you can't get good sound out of it you just can't play.
So in other words it's a good compromised tone... as Jay's said in less friendly words.

Quote:
As for the clear coat killing the tone, just remember the stuff that vibrates isn't in contact with the the clear coat or body finish. The bridge/trem is mounted directly to the body via studs. Therefore the string will vibrate between the trem and the locking nuts. Anyway, if anything I'd say it makes the tone a little less treble rich and balances it.
Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Rich side-tracked the topic with personalized discussions but you stated it already... the PLALCEBO EFFECT LIVES ...glen
post #65 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
You both could have saved several hundred and just mounted a 1x3 then
Uhg... time to go polish your Donnies ...glen
post #66 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Quote:
As for the clear coat killing the tone, just remember the stuff that vibrates isn't in contact with the the clear coat or body finish. The bridge/trem is mounted directly to the body via studs. Therefore the string will vibrate between the trem and the locking nuts. Anyway, if anything I'd say it makes the tone a little less treble rich and balances it.
Sorry but you can't have it both ways. Rich side-tracked the topic with personalized discussions but you stated it already... the PLALCEBO EFFECT LIVES ...glen
When you can actually state any of that from EXPERIENCE please let us know
post #67 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
When you can actually state any of that from EXPERIENCE please let us know
John stated it

Not to burst your bubble, but I've seen, handled and played DNAs in short bursts. I should have videotaped it for you if i expected to be stalked on the issue Now, I told you repeatedly I'm not wasting $4-5k on a DNA. Not even $2.5k.... no reason to have an expensive dust ornament. I also purposely chose NOT to resell them, as it would have been simple to do and have them float in and out.

Now if you want to drop one of yours from your "collection" off in a smoke-free environment then feel free and i'll test drive it for a few weeks and set it up for you free of charge .

I know you take pride in having more play time on the DNA than I do but that is by my choice... it is one of the few JEM/UV you can say that about along with the the VSK, VSBL and probably the next lame-brain new JEM i choose to ignore

File it under the "very, very, very, very unimportant" category... glen
post #68 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Not to burst your bubble, but I've seen, handled and played DNAs in short bursts. I should have videotaped it for you if i expected to be stalked on the issue
Oh, funny how you failed to mention that, EVER
post #69 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 PM

Reviews: 3
Moral of the story? Nothing is better than Ibanez.

FYI - If I can avoid it I won't be selling my POS Harper's neck. If that happens, guess what, it's going back on the DNA because that neck plays better straight out of the box from Glen's house than the factory tooth pick ever could.
post #70 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Vendor

Firewood is a terrible thing to waste
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Quote:

Not to burst your bubble, but I've seen, handled and played DNAs in short bursts. I should have videotaped it for you if i expected to be stalked on the issue
Oh, funny how you failed to mention that, EVER
not worth typing... i mean... did you *really* want a hands on report? LOL ...glen

PS - I can start it like this...

"The DNA2K is your second installment of the "frivilous anniversary" JEM line but the first that is overpriced by more than it's actual inherant value... much to the delight of dealers and customers worldwide. It features the wizard neck we all loathe and the Breeds Vai never uses, but does have a great swirl and some of Steve's blood for the guitar slinging scientists, vampires & kiddies. It says Ibanez on the pointy headstock so we all know it's quality is second only to Ed Roman's handcrafted signature Lucky Charm models... etc..."
post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Firewood is a terrible thing to waste
That's why I still have an Ibanez or two in my attic.
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:

PS - I can start it like this...

"The DNA2K is your second installment of the "frivilous anniversary" JEM line but the first that is overpriced by more than it's actual inherant value... much to the delight of dealers and customers worldwide. It features the wizard neck we all loathe and the Breeds Vai never uses, but does have a great swirl and some of Steve's blood for the guitar slinging scientists, vampires & kiddies. It says Ibanez on the pointy headstock so we all know it's quality is second only to Ed Roman's handcrafted signature Lucky Charm models... etc..."
Lets make that big enough so everybody can see how stupid it reads
post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:46 PM

PS - I appreciate the long thought out debate that has occassionally been sprinkled on this thread since my posting. Unfortunately I won't be contributing anything but my usual smart-ass quips as I have long since realized that there is no sense in wasting what brain power I have left. Some people will never need to play anything but an Ibanez because it works for them, that is fine. Some people just refuse to play anything else out of foolish pride and that is fine. I don't feel the need to change anyone's mind, even though people feel the need to try and change mine.

Although I won't part with my DNA and am happy to have such a neat little chunk of the over-commercialized world of "buy me now" history (which includes everything from Furby to Chrome guitars), I can say that if you gave me the cash again I would not buy a DNA again. It is a cool guitar, but you must realize you are buying a $800 guitar with a $500 paintjob and $2-3k of "collector" value. The end.
post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
Thanks for the details Rich, informative input as always.

HA!!!
Sick em, Glen

Just kidding, Rich!!

I just had to chime in there a bit

Closed Thread

Tags
clear coat , custom shop , ebony fretboard , floating trems , fret level , fretboard wood , ibanez guitars , jem neck , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , neck dimensions , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pickups , playing guitar , pointy headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what couple with x2n

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode