JEM 2K DNA, Advice, a couple questions? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

JEM 2K DNA, Advice, a couple questions?

The Jem 2K model, what kinda of build quality is the instrument, is it just like a ''J.Custom'' kind of designation, or is it actually a more specific custom job made seperatley from everything else? I have played a couple and found them to feel alot more ''solid'' than DBKs even though the neck profile seems the same, i wondered if any of you DNA owners, especially with DBKs to A/B the two, could pass comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Vendor

The DNA is not a DBK. The neck dimensions are basically the same, and yes, the necks are basically the same, I'm not sure I could find a difference under inspection except for the finish work which will be better on a DNA. The 90th is in the same category. All the clearances will be pretty much the same between both also, everything is cut by machine and the tollerances are excellent. But the DNA appeals to one market segment [afluent, collectible, somebody that doesn't care that the differences may mean fewer pieces of body wood and rear rout opposed to front, but has no objection about paying for a cool and "exclusive" paint job and the rarety/collectible factor] while the DBK appeals to a much broader segment [the guy looking to pick up a DBK doesn't care about anything other than a cool functional guitar he can pick up under a grand used, associated with Vai or not]
Rich is online  
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the details Rich, informative input as always.
post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
and yes, the necks are basically the same, I'm not sure I could find a difference under inspection except for the finish work which will be better on a DNA. The 90th is in the same category. ]
I should have qualified that with the exceptions of the fretboard wood and inlays of course which are obviously quite different on all three
Rich is online  
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: JEM 2K DNA, Advice, a couple questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
I have played a couple and found them to feel alot more ''solid'' than DBKs even though the neck profile seems the same
This wonderful experience is purely placebo effect ...glen
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

lol, i dont know about that, the guitars honestly did feel to be a bit more wieghty and the setup was probably better too i suppose, i guess i might have played a couple 'bad' DBKs and so the differential seemed greater, but since i wasnt intending to buy the guitars, just intrerested at the time as to the playability of the model, it was an objective analysis!
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:40 AM
site founder 0% owner

i had a DBK for 18 months and can understand your question... it might have *appeared* to feel somewhat light compared to some of my other axes but each piece of basswood is different and this is normal variation. it could also be attributed to the finish without the several coats of clear but an ounce or two won't make the guitar feel more or less "solid"... glen
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 AM

This topic is too funny. I was thinking the exact same thing as I just happened to pull out the DNA's and play them the other day. They definitely feel more weighty and solid to me too. It may just be the density of the basswood, but maybe also it could be something to do with the rear route vs. front route and how that balances out the guitar weight (not so much when playing, but when picking up the guitar from the neck to plug it in). It could also be the amount of clear they spray. I never new this before working with Darren on a custom, but the swirl paint isn't smooth, so they have to spray a few coats just level things out. I suppose that could add some weight.

I agree with Glen though, it's probably just the placebo effect.
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Vendor

Re: JEM 2K DNA, Advice, a couple questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
I have played a couple and found them to feel alot more ''solid'' than DBKs even though the neck profile seems the same
This wonderful experience is purely placebo effect ...glen
And just how many DNA's have you played to draw on such vast experience?
Rich is online  
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
site founder 0% owner

*yawn*
post #11 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 12:54 PM

I also think the DNA's are a bit warmer and fuller-sounding than the DBK (due to direct-mounted Breeds).

Mike 777 Haug
post #12 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 05:10 PM

placebo
post #13 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlame
placebo
And this is from experience?
Rich is online  
post #14 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 05:17 PM

I didn't pay a cent for my DNA, and I still think it sounds & feels a bit beefier than any of the other 2 dozen JEMS I've had. I'm sure that part of it was the top-notch setup the store did, but even beyond that it just feels a little nicer overall. I'd put it up with there with the RG-ARCHs & the RG-GEAR in terms of having that feeling of being a little bit extra-special.
post #15 of 116 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Vendor

[Unless they ground or routed your nut is still too high, like all modern Jems, and don't get me started on the pinched studs and fat knives.....]

Rich is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
clear coat , custom shop , ebony fretboard , floating trems , fret level , fretboard wood , ibanez guitars , jem neck , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , neck dimensions , neck joint , neck pickup , neck pickups , playing guitar , pointy headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what couple with x2n

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode