Jem 30th anniversary question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 9
Jem 30th anniversary question

So I just got a 2004 7VWH and I’m curious about the 30th anniversary Jems as I found a good deal on one! Of course this would happen after I buy a 7VWH lol! Are they worth they hype?!
Wesley1996 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:43 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 257
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley1996 View Post
So I just got a 2004 7VWH and I’m curious about the 30th anniversary Jems as I found a good deal on one! Of course this would happen after I buy a 7VWH lol! Are they worth they hype?!
The factory setup on the 777 seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the average off the shelf Jem that I've played (though I haven't played a recent 7V specifically), it has 1.5mm action at the 24th fret without any buzzing and from what I'm told that seems to be consistent with all of them. I own a 94 7V and I bought a 777 in 2017, I'll give you a few of my thoughts from owning it.

Day 1... Noticed the trem felt weird, tuning stability was good but not quite right... Turns out the backstop system was causing issues, disengaged it and that fixed all the issues I had. There is another thread about the backstop that I posted in just today on the same topic, people seem to have a love/hate relationship with the backstop but it's a rare feature.

Week 2... Noticed some fret buzz in the low frets, basically the neck just hadn't settled and so I had to make some minor adjustments quite frequently in the first few weeks/months... The guitar had been stuck in a shipping container in Japan for over 6 months due to CITES law changes that happened just as the guitar released, I'm guessing maybe the big change in climate/humidity had an effect, and with a guitar as finely setup as this it didn't take much to tip the scales.

Year 2... The neck has stabilised I haven't had to adjust the truss rod since those early weeks, tuning stability is amazing and it still plays without any buzz with 1.5mm action on the 24th.


Some notes, the guitar has a smoother sound than my 7V.. I don't know what it is but the 7V has a bit more bite to the sound in the upper mids and for the most part unless I'm playing delicate/smooth parts I prefer the more percussive and mid focussed sound of the 7V.. With yours specifically there is a significant difference in the trem also, the 777 has an Original Edge while the 2004 7V's have an Edge Pro, personally I prefer the Lo-Pro and Original Edge trems, but it's a minor sticking point.


If you can get a good deal on the 777 and you want a kickass guitar that plays like pretty much nothing else out there then yes I'd say grab the 777 30th.
BigBazz is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,611
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

I never had another to compare to at the time but the back rib of the backstop in the 30ths is tall and the middle spring rubs on it, which affects tuning. Everybody that wanted the backstop left in I had to grind down the back rib so the spring would clear and not bind. I still have never liked them, I hate the feel, but as you said, there is a love/hate relationship depending on the person.
Rich is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I never had another to compare to at the time but the back rib of the backstop in the 30ths is tall and the middle spring rubs on it, which affects tuning. Everybody that wanted the backstop left in I had to grind down the back rib so the spring would clear and not bind. I still have never liked them, I hate the feel, but as you said, there is a love/hate relationship depending on the person.
Would have to take mine apart to see if you did this but my guess is that there isn't anything different with the Backstop. The issue is the sustain block length. On the originals, they used a longer sustain block with an S cast into it. It's longer than all the ones you see with HS by a few mm. Not as long as the unmarked ones from the top mounted Edge.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,611
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

That would make sense, since I don't handle the old models they originally came in, except I don't remember there being any interference with the EVO's which are HS block [or should be].
Rich is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 130
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Would have to take mine apart to see if you did this but my guess is that there isn't anything different with the Backstop. The issue is the sustain block length. On the originals, they used a longer sustain block with an S cast into it. It's longer than all the ones you see with HS by a few mm. Not as long as the unmarked ones from the top mounted Edge.
That is correct. S blocks were longer and the HS block did not work with it in my old RG. I used a brass block which was a hair longer than the HS block. Of course it also depends a bit on how high the setup of the bridge is. The old bodys had an extra recessed routing for the backstop. Do the 30th's have this?
Jemerator is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 08:17 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That would make sense, since I don't handle the old models they originally came in, except I don't remember there being any interference with the EVO's which are HS block [or should be].
It seems silly that they ever made a longer sustain block for this purpose when they could have simply routed a channel in the body to sit it in. With the EVO being a Sugi build, it wouldn't surprise me if they did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
That is correct. S blocks were longer and the HS block did not work with it in my old RG. I used a brass block which was a hair longer than the HS block. Of course it also depends a bit on how high the setup of the bridge is. The old bodys had an extra recessed routing for the backstop. Do the 30th's have this?
All the bodies have a recess there, but it's not entirely clear what it's for? Maybe to give the springs clearance on the leading edge? There isn't anything different about bodies that did or did not have a Backstop. Here is a 540P body. It's hard to see but the recess is there. Another thing to note is that the guitars with Backstops didn't use the spring lock. If I remember correctly, the S block is 3 mm longer than the HS and might not clear the cover plate with the spring lock in place.

Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 130
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
All the bodies have a recess there, but it's not entirely clear what it's for? Maybe to give the springs clearance on the leading edge? There isn't anything different about bodies that did or did not have a Backstop.
That is not correct or we are talking about different things. There is a recess on older bodies, sized to fit the backstop. And they might have kept that for a while although they stopped equipping new guitars with it. I would guess they changed it around '90/'91, as all my guitars later than that do not have the recess.
Jemerator is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
That is not correct or we are talking about different things. There is a recess on older bodies, sized to fit the backstop. And they might have kept that for a while although they stopped equipping new guitars with it. I would guess they changed it around '90/'91, as all my guitars later than that do not have the recess.
You would have to show me this for me to believe you. That body is a 540P that would have always had a Backstop and the trem route is no different than an RG. Hence the longer than normal sustain block.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 130
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

This body has the recess:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123915975579

I am just saying that not all bodies have this. All my Ibbies (I have 13) older than 1991 do not have this, but that could be coincidentially. While searching for a picture for you I saw a body that seems to be much newer.
Jemerator is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:44 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Jem 30th anniversary question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemerator View Post
This body has the recess:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123915975579

I am just saying that not all bodies have this. All my Ibbies (I have 13) older than 1991 do not have this, but that could be coincidentially. While searching for a picture for you I saw a body that seems to be much newer.
So I just checked three guitars for this.

'89 RG560 - has recess
'00 JEM77FP - no recess
'18 RG550 - no recess

But the recess is a red herring. It doesn't tell you what you need to know. The important thing to know is the depth of the route. On the RG560, which had the recess, the depth from the mounting surface for the cover to the floor of the route near the opening for the sustain block is around 22 mm. It is around 23 mm on the newer bodies without the recess. So it's more accurate to say that the old bodies are NOT recessed closer to the spring claw and I think if you look, you'll see a bigger gap between the spring claw and floor of the cavity on newer bodies.

I've installed a Backstop on an older body with the recess and the center spring still dragged on it with the HS block. Went digging around and it turns out I do have an older trem with an S block. Length of the three different blocks are:

HS - 30 mm
S - 36 mm
Blank - 40 mm

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 10-08-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome