JEM 30th strange default setup. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

JEM 30th strange default setup.

When I got my JEM 30th, I have had a good time with it, and felt that the setup was pretty nice and by that I meant that the action was right for me.

However, I noticed that the backstop engaged a little higher than 0 point, which basically means its not helping with the trem stability at all and just working as a normal floating trem. So today after about a month since my guitar arrived, I open the trem cover and notice that the trem is not touching at all the back stop when in rest.

The little black line that Rich describes in the side of the trem block is not parallel either. I look at the two screws to adjust the trem and... it looks like there is no more of the screwy part of the screw. Is it safe to just dig in, wont it damage the hole if I continue to screw it pass that point? Also some strange marker in my trem area like an number 11.

Pics included, if this is normal please excuse my noob questions.

pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152159...57685728569502

Last edited by algorithmsjoe; 09-30-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:58 PM

Re: JEM 30th strange default setup.

Well i'd try screwing them in more, doesn't look like you have far to go.

Last edited by Leviathus; 10-01-2017 at 12:00 AM. Reason: low IQ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Well i'd try screwing them in more, doesn't look like you have far to go.
Thanks, I just wanted to double check if it was ok to screw it a little more even if the "screwy" part of the screws were not showing anymore. It went in effortless.

That worked and I ended up just disabling the use of the backstop. The "flutter" was super noisy as it hits the backstop and makes a very annoying spring noise.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Vendor

Honestly I'd remove the Backstop, I hate the way they feel.
OCDemon likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My S540HH had a backstop and I hated the way it made the trem feel. I sold that guitar. I got a 540R with a backstop just because it's a coveted thing to have in the Ibanez world, but I am not into backstops.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't want to completely remove it, and misplace the parts... so I just rolled back the contact point and now its never engaged. I hated it too and can't see how Steve flutters his term with that thing in place, the noise alone sucks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 01:32 PM

I think they had the right idea, my reaction to the backstop was "what the hell is wrong with this trem". Then I disengaged it and had it floating like a normal trem and suddenly all is right with the world. The way my guitar was setup had it relying on the backstop for stability, causing the tuning stability to be pretty rough.

Tags
jem setup default

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode