Jem 30th vs J Custom RG 30th - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Jem 30th vs J Custom RG 30th

Hey guys, I've been looking for a higher end Ibby for awhile. I have a couple J Customs and was really thinking about a 30th Jem.

It's not an investment, per say. It will be played. But only at home, so damage won't occur. I would like something that will hold or rise in value.

In that case, which is a better buy? A New 30th 777 or a new JC RG 30th. Both are beautiful and very different. Both are available.

Value wise, which one would be the better buy?

The J Custom is about $700 more expensive than the 777 and will need to be shipped. The 777 is local.

Last edited by Davie Dynamite; 11-08-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Re: Jem 30th vs J Custom RG 30th

Based on the production quantity numbers that have been floating around, I would think the 30th RG is the more rare of the lot. And it is a damn sweet looking RG if we are being honest.

But ultimately, it boils down to personal preference.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewookieJim View Post
Based on the production quantity numbers that have been floating around, I would think the 30th RG is the more rare of the lot. And it is a damn sweet looking RG if we are being honest.

But ultimately, it boils down to personal preference.
I agree. The RG is probably more rare but will it be sought after in years to come? The same way the Jems are sought after?

I'm a HUGE Jem & J Custom fanatic... so personal preference doesn't help me haha

I have both available and I'm trying to make a judgement call. Tough choice! But I want to keep future value in mind.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:58 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Dynamite View Post
The J Custom is about $700 more expensive than the 777 and will need to be shipped. The 777 is local.
And the JC will have far, far less resale opportunity & value now and later.

Only buy the JC if you just don't care about $ cost in any way, shape or form.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:59 AM

It's hard to say for sure.

In some ways the 30th Jems are polarizing. Although I've heard lots of great things from most people that have one, there are some that are decidedly less enthusiastic about re-hashing the originals.

For me personally, I finally have an original 87 LNG, and I have a 30th LNG on order with Rich. I dont know if I'll love it or not, but I wanted to actually have one, and not spend years wondering about it.

Based on what I've heard, with Rich being the main source, the 30th anniversary 777s are 900 in total, 450 LNGs, the rest split between SK an DY. Regarding the 30th RG, I don't recall exactly where I saw it, but I thought it was very limited, like 10 or 100 in total, can't remember exactly...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 PM

I'd personally like the RG more, but J. Customs have historically low resale values. From my browsing, I've noticed mint examples goon for roughly 50% of the original sales price.

If you've played a recent JEM 7V, you will have an idea as to how the 30ths play. In my opinion they feel like the same guitars with different paint jobs.

I like the way the JCs I've played feel more than the JEM however, but they seem like a bad investment if you are worried about resale value.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM

I have had a lot of J Customs over the past 15 years. On the majority of occasions, I have sold many of them for more than I paid for them due to the rarity of them up in my area. Currently I have a "20th" Anniversary 7 string with the Spalted top (there is no such thing as a 30th anniversary J Custom). It is an absolutely killer guitar and will be remaining with me. I had an old friend source this one out for me in Japan. I think the value of a J Custom rests with the owner. I never buy these things to make money because they are a deprediating asset but I have gotten lucky with that many times. I buy them to play, gig and record with and they are such comfortable and great sounding guitars. I may get one more keeper depending on if my bud can find it for me.

Last edited by PBGas; 05-23-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

I decided to go with a Jem SK! I'm over the moon! It plays beautifully and the colour is stunning! I have 2 other J Customs. One is a Koa J Custom, #4 of 6. That fills my JC void... for now. lol!

@PBGas , where in Ontario are you?! I'm in Ontario, as well. And this particular J Custom is a 30th Anniversary RG. Yes, it exists
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Dynamite View Post
I decided to go with a Jem SK! I'm over the moon! It plays beautifully and the colour is stunning! I have 2 other J Customs. One is a Koa J Custom, #4 of 6. That fills my JC void... for now. lol!

@PBGas , where in Ontario are you?! I'm in Ontario, as well. And this particular J Custom is a 30th Anniversary RG. Yes, it exists
Yup....my bad. You are right. It is a 30th RG version! I was thinking just in terms of J Customs being 20 years old. Congrats on the new Jem! Beautiful guitars all around!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
Yup....my bad. You are right. It is a 30th RG version! I was thinking just in terms of J Customs being 20 years old. Congrats on the new Jem! Beautiful guitars all around!
No worries! And thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode