Jem 505 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
VCR

Jem 505

I did a search and found no topics on this model here on Jemsite, hmmm.

I have never owned a Jem being the cost to keep me at bay. Can't afford one. Can't afford the list price of a 505 but maybe a used price in the future.

Fact is I like the looks of the 505. I enjoy simple looking guitars. I love maple fingerboards and after playing a few Jem's that friends own if I look at the board the vine inlays send me into the land of the lost and I must look away and refocus on the side markers. Give me dots and I'm at home. I am aware of other models having dot inlays

The 505 has all the goods short of the looks right? Well OK, the pups are not the same! Edge trem? Maybe they are saving not using the pro but, what do I know of the cost dif from the factory's point of view?

Point here...to you all owning Jems is this guitar a "Jem" or am I missing something when I look into the guitar (short of the pups)? Don't much care if they hold value much either as I play the crap out of my guitars and tend to keep all that I play. If I don't play them off to the block and get a fair value if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Re: Jem 505

I'm not too familiar with the 505, but if it's a Jem Jr, then it's not up to par with the more expensive Jems. The Jem Jr is Korean made with a sub par tremolo. If you play the heck off of your guitars, then it might not be the one you're looking for.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: Jem 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post
I'm not too familiar with the 505, but if it's a Jem Jr, then it's not up to par with the more expensive Jems. The Jem Jr is Korean made with a sub par tremolo. If you play the heck off of your guitars, then it might not be the one you're looking for.
We're talking here the 505 not 555 check out the difference popeye.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post

Bad choice with naming it so close to the 555 I think? But this closeness might mean something as well.

I hear you on MIK. No this is MIJ. That's what the net tells me. One net music site states it has locking anchors but I thought they are not using these anymore. I find the internet to have too many errors in desription of guitars. The old copy and paste of descriptions is obvious, giving info unrelated to the product you are looking at just because of the same name brand.

I think an owner of a 505 will see this and respond. Hope so. Not gonna order one blind. Rather get one second hand anyway.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Hey VCR,

welcome to Jemsite! This link:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/search...archid=1704168

will give you the results you're after, most notably this eighteen-page thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/th...ghlight=jem505

Judging from your post, you seem to be the JEM505's target consumer. It's quality made in Japan, fewer cosmetic frills, Ibanez pickups (which most players will swap out), and a more affordable price tag.

Peace

Mike
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
NSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCR View Post
One net music site states it has locking anchors but I thought they are not using these anymore.
The Edge-Pro didn't have the locking studs (hence the locking stud upgrade kits that are available). The original Edge (that the 505 has) does have locking studs.

I think the main difference between a 505 and a 7, 77 or 777 series is mainly down to the lavish fretboard design, the pickups and the range of finishes available.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCR View Post
I did a search and found no topics on this model . . .
Just for the record, I think you put a space between "JEM" and "505." I got my results from the single-word search term "jem505."

Oh, and I also knew there had been previous threads on this affordable Fujigen JEM. wink wink

Peace

Mike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
VCR

[quote=Hikey Mikey;1044828]Hey VCR,

welcome to Jemsite! This link:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/search...archid=1704168

will give you the results you're after, most notably this eighteen-page thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/th...ghlight=jem505

Judging from your post, you seem to be the JEM505's target consumer. It's quality made in Japan, fewer cosmetic frills, Ibanez pickups (which most players will swap out), and a more affordable price tag.

My mistake. I'm littering, I should get a ticket Lets close this one up and move to the links above.

Thanks Hickey Mickey
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Reviews: 11

its just a white rg550 thats newer and costs more IMO but its a very good guitar. best quality trem (better than the edge pro) and well, good everything. and even the pickups are decent. but everyone swaps em anyway. i say buy it and love it forever! just be sure to not get a 555 haha
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:16 PM

i own a 505, bought it last month i think?
it's a pretty good guitar and the pickups are great. i was planning to swap out the stocks
the first time i got my 1570, but you know what? they really sound great, and they are no different in the 505. also, very fast neck, which is usually on every prestige i suppose.
aside from the monkey grip, the guitar should play much similar to other prestige models with the same pickup and edge pro trem. also, they have a updated version of the edge pro. looks more similar to the original floyd rose. still, the trem arm becomes lose very fast. in the first week, the bushings on the trem arm are already worn out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

They do not have an Edge Pro, or an updated version of it--it's an Edge. Another difference is the body wood--basswood (standard fare RG body). They still look like decent guitars! Kind of what some folks convert in their workshops from RG-550s and 570s.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 PM

is that edge better than the edge pro? i noticed that the 1570 still has the edge pro and most of the 2010 models have this edge bridge on there.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It has a lot to do with the Floyd license that expired a little while ago. Plus, the OE is just a kick-ass trem.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM

It would be nice if they released a model with the jem neck and a body without the monekey grip or lions claw and the edge in chrome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode