jem 505 vs RG something? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
ebh

jem 505 vs RG something?

Hi

I want to get a jem 505 and don't know if it's worth it or not. In the past I had 2 RG prestiges (2550z and 2620z) and a bunch of other guitars in between...

Both ibanezes wore good and figured I should get another one. I like the whole JEM ideea, but don't want to pay extra just for the fact that it sais JEM on the headstock. Also love the maple fretboard on the 505.

So, in a nutshell, is the 505 as good as, let's say, a 3550mz or 3250mz (RG)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Re: jem 505 vs RG something?

Find an old MIJ Square heel 550 and be done. The current crop of Ibanez guitars (1992+) are very sub par compared to the golden era guitars. Myself, I won't own anything Ibanez made past 89.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Wow, we're getting like TGP and their "corksniffer" attitude My personal favourite year was 1990 myself, I think there's more of a hint of red berries that year and slight nuances of plum in there as well

musikron is right though; a nice old RG550 does almost everything that a JEM505 does. The main differences will be in the size of the neck which is slightly meatier on the JEM505. Both guitars benefit from having their pickups swapped out though

Personally I like the new JEM505 and would take one over the edge zero equipped RG guitars.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

'89??? There were some other great ones beyond that--especially '91, '92, and '93. But I agree--snag an old square heel 550 and call it a day. With the left over cash--dump in some better pickups.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Find an old MIJ Square heel 550 and be done. The current crop of Ibanez guitars (1992+) are very sub par compared to the golden era guitars. Myself, I won't own anything Ibanez made past 89.

I myself love square heels... But I do think that Ibanez are making some great guitars currently...

I have been really impressed with the RG3550MZ... and heard good things about the premiums......
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM

I have a square heel RG770DX myself fitted with some Duncan's and that's deffinetely my main riff machine. Believe you me, I've played alot of guitars in 25 years and that RG plays like a dream.

Nelson
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

A few suggestions that will solve this:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fo...le-114185.html

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...1m-114180.html

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Of the 5 guitars you mentioned, the only one without DiMarzio pups is the 505. I guess it's main JEM features are the JEM neck and the monkey grip. I wonder if you would be happy with it based on the 2 axes you previously owned.

I think you would be happier with either the 3550mz or 3250mz unless you don't mind changing out the pups on the 505.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
Of the 5 guitars you mentioned, the only one without DiMarzio pups is the 505. I guess it's main JEM features are the JEM neck and the monkey grip. I wonder if you would be happy with it based on the 2 axes you previously owned.

I think you would be happier with either the 3550mz or 3250mz unless you don't mind changing out the pups on the 505.
I think you missed the fact that the 505 has an Original Edge trem in it.....

EBH: If I'm reading you post correctly, you want to buy a NEW guitar and are wonder how it will compare to you Prestige's.

If I'm right about that; I think you like the 505 much better simply because of the Edge trem..... it performs better than an Edge zero in every area (tuning stability, ease of use, flutter....etc)

Tags
505 , cheap , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode