JEM 555 bk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

JEM 555 bk

Hello,
I am seriously thinking of buying a Jem555bk. I think it's a great guitar.
But I've read that you guys at Jemsite.com think there is al lot wrong with it, like the trem system. Could anyone tell me excactly what is wrong with it? Apart from the trem system? Is there anyone who KNOWS I'll be disappointed? And why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 09:46 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM 555 bk

i would advise against it. Look toward a more affordable RG or used JEM instead... glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 12:02 PM

Reviews: 5
JEM 555 bk

If you could find an used 7DBK it would be a lot better, but if you couldn't...well... I have a 555 and I must say that the tremolo is horrible (the tremolo arm, to be more specific) and I don't like the half-vine inlay either, but i'ts a great playing guitar and if you can't afford a better JEM, it's the way to go.

The good thing about this guitar is that you can modify it and don't feel sorry about it, because it isn't a collectable item. :biggrin:

Mine has a great ebony fretboard and Dunlop 6150 frets.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 12:35 PM

JEM 555 bk

I'll tell you this: I first got a 555bk because I really couldn't afford one of the higher models. Make sure you play it in the store before you plunk down the money. Make sure it's EXACTLY what you want. I made the mistake of getting one sent directly from the factory only to find out it had MANY problems not the least of which are that it will not stay in tune and the neck has a flaw which forces me to keep a very high (for my tastes) action. In fact I don't even play it since I got the JEM7DBK. It (the 555) sits in it's stand looking mournful and lonely.

Shop around and find one in good condition that truly suits your tastes and is best suited for you. Then GO BUY A JEM7DBK!!! (Jeremy was waiting for me to say that and ya know I couldn't resist!) Seriously though, you might be better off getting a 7DBK. It's sorta close to the same price range and is the MUCH better guitar. See if you can find a used one in good condition before you end up settling for the 555 just because it's cheaper.

My 0.02$ worth.

LJ
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 03:37 PM

JEM 555 bk

Hey, just a couple of months ago I was in the market for the 555 as well. *But when you really look at it man, it is a horrible guitar for the money...the Lo-TRS is equipment from the Ibanez 4xx lines and below. *An RG 5xx IMO is a better guitar overall than the 555. *I have played the RG570 and the RG520QS along with the 555 and both the RGs felt better to me, as well as being a lot cheaper. *Less tacky looking too. *Well, a couple months later I find myself an owner of a Jem7VWH which I got used, in like-new condition. *I got it for a couple hundred more than what new 555 still go for. *DBK's are definately awesome deals -- there is one on ebay right now hovering abround the $750 range, in mint condition with a HSC. *With deals like these on new or like-new real Jems, the 555 suddenly becomes an invalid option. *It is just stupid. *Older Jem moldels are available for even less.

I hope this helps.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 05:14 PM

JEM 555 bk

iīve been owner of a 555 for 3 years, have recorded and toured with it.
the evos are great but in general the whole guitar suck.
the trem...well, what can i said that you havenīt heard.
it is horrible and intonation it is not its second name.
buy a 7dbk, that is a real deal.
great guitar, great pickups, great neck, great jem.
i understand that you can really play with a 555, lets face it, but in general terms, that guitar doesnīt represent the money you are investing on it
now i have a dbk and i am happy as a monkey in a glass store.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 07:57 PM

JEM 555 bk

Quote:
Quote: from Patrick Deno on 12:35 pm on April 17, 2001

Shop around and find one in good condition that truly suits your tastes and is best suited for you. Then GO BUY A JEM7DBK!!! (Jeremy was waiting for me to say that and ya know I couldn't resist!)
My 0.02$ worth.

LJ
Me Jeremy? *hehe, why would I be waiting for that? *I bet the DBK would feel a little odd recording hey Patrick?! :loco: *hehe, that rough texture.
I personally don't like the DBK, but everyone here is right, for the same price as the 555, you can get an excellent condition DBK used and end up with 10 times the guitar. *The 555 wouldn't be a bad guitar if it was at least half the cost, but even then, I hate seeing the name JEM associated with it. *Besides that, they are out of production now I believe, so you are faced with the used market again anyway. *For the same or much less money as the 555, you can get any of the RG5XX series or better, the RG770 is basically a Jem without the fancy appointments. *But it is a great guitar with all the right moves.
My advice, if you want a JEM, really want a JEM, save the pennies, look around, and find yourself a used JEM7DBK, or save a few more pennies and find yourself a JEM7VWH used. *Heck, the JEM777DY's are fairly available at really decent prices, if you don't mind flourescent yellow (I personally love it) then grab one of these!!!
Jeremy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 01:58 PM

JEM 555 bk

Go with these guys... I have a 555 but the TREM system is TERRIBLE, it never stays in tune, I think it's the knife edge....

Go with a real JEM, I advise.....

MarkY
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 02:58 PM

JEM 555 bk

Maybe you havent looked at the Jemsite FS ads -- right now there are at least 2 DBK's under a grand.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 08:23 PM

JEM 555 bk

My local shop has had a 555 in stock for ages and they just can't shift it :shocked: The've dropped the price, moved it about the shop, put it in the window, put special offer stickers on it and it's still there.

Tags
ebony fretboard , playing guitar , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode