Jem 555 vs jem7 dbk - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Jem 555 vs jem7 dbk

I've got lots of problems! I've got a low budget, and theres no way im ever gonna be able to aford the real mCcoy of a Jem VWH, so if i get one, i am undoubtibly chooing between these two.

However, i'm really scared of

1. Breed pickups (I seem to have a gut feeling about evolutions)
2. Is the trem really that much better?
3. The paint work and scratch plate
4. Ive also heard very bad things about the "nails" sticking out of the fretboard
5. It looks ugly?

I've only played a 555, and i thought that it was amazing! But then again.... i was playing through a peavey 5150! Surely, if the jem555 has the same pickups and just a different trem and neck this cant account for double the price!

Something else that really annoys me... why the hell dosent rich sell 555's!

For the price i have to pay over here in england for a 555, i could get a 7dbk for cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:54 AM

Well if it were down to me then there's no competition, i'd chose a Jem7DBK.

1: Just try and find a Jem7DBK, see if you like the sound of the Breeds, afterall sound is what's most important.
2:Yes
3:It's purely subjective, if you like the paintwork and scratchplate then knock yourself out. I wasn't overly fond of the combination until i recently saw someone who put chrome pickups tops on the pickups of a DBK along with chome knobs and a chrome pickup selector. Looked -amazing-! Almost Jem10th like.
4:They're screwheads inlayed into the neck but with some plastic over the top if i think. You can't actually feel the screwheads at all. If you pick up a DBK and it has one 'sticking out' then i'm guessing it's just a very bad one off lol
5:That's up to you! lol

Sound should be most important, if you can try a DBK then see what you think of the Breeds, if you're willing to live with a TRS/Edge Pro2 trem that won't keep it's tune as well as a Lo-pro/Edge Pro trem and overall prefer the Evolution pickups then go for the 555.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:14 AM
RCB

This shouldnt even be a question...

I dont like the DBK, but it SO much better than the 555. The overall quality is much better in the 7dbk.

I would take an RG3120 over a 7dbk anyday. But if the Steve Vai endorsement is important to you, or if you are really after the lion claw and the monkey grip, then you should pick up the 7DBK.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

No, i really dont want a steve vai guitar! I think endorsement sucks, and you kinda feel like theres always someone better than you sort of vibe, as if your restricted if you know what i mean? BUT...... there ****ing fast, great sounding guitars!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:34 AM

i still cant understand the thing with guitars beeing fast ...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsefix
i still cant understand the thing with guitars beeing fast ...
I own a big fat fender neck...
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM

If you don't want a Steve Vai guitar and think endorsments suck, then why not pick up an RG3120 or an RG1570?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:58 AM
RCB

The RG3120 is the best valu you can get
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion
Well if it were down to me then there's no competition, i'd chose a Jem7DBK.

1: Just try and find a Jem7DBK, see if you like the sound of the Breeds, afterall sound is what's most important.
2:Yes
3:It's purely subjective, if you like the paintwork and scratchplate then knock yourself out. I wasn't overly fond of the combination until i recently saw someone who put chrome pickups tops on the pickups of a DBK along with chome knobs and a chrome pickup selector. Looked -amazing-! Almost Jem10th like.
4:They're screwheads inlayed into the neck but with some plastic over the top if i think. You can't actually feel the screwheads at all. If you pick up a DBK and it has one 'sticking out' then i'm guessing it's just a very bad one off lol
5:That's up to you! lol

Sound should be most important, if you can try a DBK then see what you think of the Breeds, if you're willing to live with a TRS/Edge Pro2 trem that won't keep it's tune as well as a Lo-pro/Edge Pro trem and overall prefer the Evolution pickups then go for the 555.
I'm going to disagree with some of this.

Feel is what's most important. Sound is FAR easier to change than feel. It's a lot easier to switch a pickup for £60 than it is to get hold of a new neck, or body, or both

I love the look and sound of the JEM90th I really do, but I can't handle the feel of the guitar. The sound I can pretty much get from an RG550 with Evos and some careful tweaking of the amp, but I can't change the feel of the paint on the JEM90

Same sort of thing goes for the 555 vs the DBK. The DBK has a thicker neck than the 555 . The DBK has the funny road surface finish on the body, two things that are very hard to change.

Personally I can't comment as to whether the edge pro 2 is that much worse than the Edge Pro, but I wouldn't go for a 555 with a Lo-TRS trem full stop (though others have NO problem at all with them)

Oh and the inlays on the DBK are actually clear plastic dots with paper screwhead piccies on the underside, just like the coloured vines and pyramids.

Is the fruity goodness of strawberry better than the rich satisfaction of double choc chip?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Since you're in UK you must be looking at at least £600-700 for a 555. I'd consider getting a 2nd hand Jem7.
If you're a Maiden fan you must love all those bright 80's colours you may even find a nice 777 fer that price. I did.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:24 PM

I actually played both. Looks wise well 555 wins hands down....ok ok...personal preference. I dont like the tire look of 7DBK and screw fret dots (altho a clever design I must say...)-_-
Half vine? Dont let people's opinion's get to you. I like the vine, whether it's a full fledge vine or half, it still looks good. Again...your preference.

EP2 is fine. Never goes out of tune, not even by a bit. I'm a real bitch when it comes to fine tuning so I can tell the difference if it goes out of tune even a bit. But when it comes to it, SET UP YOUR GUITAR RIGHT and you should have no problems. Bad setup can make the best guitar play like poop.

If you're getting a 555 go for a 2003 edition, as I've heard the TRS is horrid, and I dont think I've heard a complaint about the Edge Pro 2...YET.

As far as sound goes I like the EVO UPs better. Just a personal preference really. I say the best judge of that is you.

ok ok...sounds like I'm pretty much siding with the 555. Well...I own the guitar afterall...

The 7DBK is a great guitar nevertheless. I dont think you can go wrong with either that or a 555 (2003). As far as pricing goes, the 555 is actually cheaper than the 7DBK (here in Taiwan anyways...could be diff in UK.)
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 PM

I just sold my DNA and I wanted to get a 7DBK to replace it since it has the same neck specs and the Breeds. I just got it Saturday and I am very pleased with it. It is a 2002 and I got it dirt cheap. It even has sperzel tuners on it. I thought I wouldn't like the textured paint, but I have to say it looks really cool with the mirror pickguard.

Brian
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:36 PM

Though I've never played a 555 I own a vwh and have spent some time with the dbk and have to say the evos and breeds give their own sound. A preference lies in the individual. From what I've read and been told the quality in the build not only the parts used makes the major difference. Try out the breed and the evo. Make your choice in what you're looking for. If I was in your shoes and preferred the evos then I'd swap the breeds out of the dbk. I'm not going to go into finishes because that has always taken a lower priority in choosing a new guitar. Looking into importing a used Jem from the US may be a option you might want to think about also. I'm not going to flame the 555 as "not a real Jem" however if you're thinking that route why not just pick up a korean rg and swap the pups for evos? The quality/materials would be the same.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 09:55 AM
RCB

You are hearing som comment from people who own a 555. THese guys are probably tired of being bashed for owning a guitar that every discerning player and forum member would advise against.

There is a section in this site with the top5 five jems, and the worst five. Guess where the 555 lies? Guess where the 7dbk lies?

I dont like the 7dbk that much (I ve already suggested you to buy the RG3120), but buying the 555 would just be a very bad idea considering that you can buy a 7DBK or an RG3120.

The 555 has a cheap tremolo (the EP2 is MUCH worse than the EP), poor finishing of the neck and frets (as any MIK Ibanez guitar), and has an overall MIK qualityu vs the MIJ qualituy you ll get from a 7DBK or a RG3120.

The only advantage the 555 has are the Evos (wich I preffer to the breeds). THe breeds are not bad at all though, and you can allways swap the pups later
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Problem is, im an 18 year old student-i cant aford fu*k all anyway, let alone taking £225 worth of pickups, and replacing them with another £225 worth. I reckon i mite just end up going for the 555,and i know a lot of you will say you'll regret it, but christ, how can an £800 guitar be ****e? I can barely afford the jem 555 as it is!

Should be a little better than one of those guitars out of a christmas pack anyway...

Am i really, reallly, reallly gonna regret this?

(I dont think im ever gonna find a local 2nd 777jem in my area, and i wouldnt risk buying an 2nd hand guitar from ebay, as you never know what mite be wrong with it etc.)

Thanks to everyone who has helped here!

Tags
bridge pup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , edge pro bridge , edge pro trem , evolution pickups , fat strat , finger board , flamed maple , floyd rose , guitar mag , ibanez guitars , jem vwh , korean guitar , locking nut , locking nuts , maple neck , monkey grip , pearl pickguard , scratch plate , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , sperzel tuners , steve vai , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what is the difference between jem7 and jem 7 V

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode