Jem 7 ?? - Just trying to identify my guitar - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7 ?? - Just trying to identify my guitar

Hello everybody,
Firstly I'd like to say its so nice to see such a passionate community. Understandably so having owned an Ibanez Jem for 23 years now.

Which brings me onto the point of this post. I have a Jem guitar which I purchased from a local music shop 23 years ago. It coincided with Vai being in Newcastle gigging and the guys in the shop (which never got an instrument like this in ever, may I add) said it had something to do with that, although my memory is a little vague now.

Anyway, its an unusual beast, its the body of a Jem 7PBK, but it has the neck of the Jem 7RB, ie just dots. Now I have read that the Jem 7RB was the only model made with dots, so I am now curious as to the origins of my instrument.

I'll try posting some pictures below from when I have recently stripped it down and given it a complete setup.

Any ideas would be grately appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0375.JPG (22.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.JPG (24.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.JPG (30.6 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jem 7 ?? - Just trying to identify my guitar

And finally the Back Plate ... not sure if you can make it out but the serial on there is "891989" ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.JPG (15.9 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Looks like it was a JEM7PBK
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking, with the P marking on the body (and the fact the body is a PBK in style as well), however the marking "V" on the neck stamp might denote it maybe should have been a Vine fret inlay, but its just dots and the whole thing is pretty incongruent of the production models of that time which has thrown me completely. I got to thinking maybe it was a prototype in some shape or form? I've not played in many years and recently taken it out of a 15 year hibenation. These instruments really are superb as it still plays wonderfully and sounds incredible following a fret polish and full setup, it's my pride and joy! The PU's were all black too, unlike the white of the PBK. The only thing I changed was replacing the original black V2 bridge PU after about 2 years of owning it with the pink Dimarzio you see in the pictures, although I do still have the original PU also.

Thank you for your contribution, its much appreciated.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Vendor

It's either an RB resprayed BK or it's a PBK with an RB neck. In the UK neck swapping was common when these were new so I'd go with the latter.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Neck Swap!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM

But didn't all the original 7 series Jems come with DiMarzios? The fact that this came stock with Ibanez V-series pups makes me wonder if it was perhaps a predecessor to the Jem 5 series?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Developer

If you ever wanted to sell it pm me! I think your question was answered best above.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
But didn't all the original 7 series Jems come with DiMarzios? The fact that this came stock with Ibanez V-series pups makes me wonder if it was perhaps a predecessor to the Jem 5 series?
Yes, they did. I doubt this is any type of predecessor/prototype. My guess is that the whole guitar is a bit of a mongrel. A Jem put together with what ever bits the shop could find quickly..........My question would be.....Where are the rest of the parts??

Is there an RB running around the UK with a pyramid neck, white Paf's, and white knobs??
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Vendor

It's over 20 years old. Unless you are an original owner from new there is zero reason to believe any part of any used guitar is original unless you're an expert and can tell nothing has been changed.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Exciting...but imo the PBK looks so much better with the Pyramids...on the other hand the putative RB now looks a little cooler with that neck..if there is one around.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's over 20 years old. Unless you are an original owner from new there is zero reason to believe any part of any used guitar is original unless you're an expert and can tell nothing has been changed.
He said he's had it since new (23 years)......what was done before he got it is up for grabs.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Vendor

DOH, I never read the post, just looked at the pictures.
The OP would have to explain if everything is exactly how he bought it new or if he put those V's in it. He just wrote about neck and body.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM

Neck swap with this one: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/fs...one-63371.html
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
He said he's had it since new (23 years)......what was done before he got it is up for grabs.
The OP stated he only changed out the bridge pup for a DiMarzio... This is really odd! Both the body and neck are labeled as original Jem parts... I wonder if the shop he bought it from "made" it in house? Is it a 23 year old mongrel? Or maybe just a painted RB body? And the shop that refinished it put Iby V-pups in it?

Tags
ibanez , jem , jem 7 , jem7 , neck markings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode