Jem 70v vs prestige - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Jem 70v vs prestige

Hi, I am new to this forum and I would like to seek your opinion on getting a new guitar.

This will be my very first ibanez purchase if ever.

I've been told that prestige RG's are definitely better than the jem 70v, but I cannot find a prestige that does not wear the edge zero. And hey, I really dig the seafoam green and of course the jem looks.

would choosing a prestige be a better idea than choosing the 70v? It was my dream to have a jem since we're all vai lovers here.

If I were you, and you were to purchase your first ibanez, what would you buy?

oh, I forgot to mention that I am only a hundred bucks short on buying a jem70v (I've earned the money for a coupe of years and its hard!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Jem 70v vs prestige

Personally, I'd get the JEM. Simply because I like the Edge bridge.

BUT...

There are reports of significant issues with the construction of certain of the sea foam green JEMs, and I'd recommend you look into that first before committing to a purchase.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

That's what I also liked about the 70v. The original edge

I will personally check and buy the guitar once I've completed the money hopefully the one i'll be seeing will be good

more comments please

Last edited by opencoke; 06-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Reviews: 3

Great guitar to start your jem collection ;-)

Avoid the last batches due to a serious intonation problem on the low E string
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Isn't that problem only applicable to 7vwh?

I hope that's the case. Coz i will be buying the guitar brand new... Or maybe if i can find a good 2nd hand but I cannot find a jem 70v listed in the ads here in the Philippines.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 3

These problem seems to affect 2011-2013 7VWh, one Paul Gilbert model (don't know which nor the years) and the last 2013-initial 2014 batches of the 70V SFG as suppossed by the samples presented at this year NAMM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Oh god why. They already discovered it from the 7v and then they still let the 70v have it.

How can I check the guitar if it has serious intonation problems without buying the guitar?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM

I have a 70V. It's a good guitar and comes from the Premium line. If you can get one new for $1200-1300 US, then I would say do it. Otherwise, I would look into a Prestige RG655. It's about $1200US and is comparable in specs with different DiMarzios, but you don't pay the Vai tax.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:51 PM

As an aside, this bit on the Ibanez website for the Prestige line is quite convincing marketing.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_p...tige/what.html
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 PM

"Vai Tax", that's great.
I don't have anything to add, other than what I've heard and I was 'gassing' for an RG655.
That would be my personal choice over the 70V or any other Prestige with the EZ. I wasn't really thrilled with the EZII I played with once. I'm sure the EZ, without the ZPS would feel pretty nice. I like the bar to 'warble' a little, but I love the OE on my RG550 and that's what I would want to go with on a new guitar. (Very happy they've come back.)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Don't forget, the Edge equipped Prestige guitars are for the US market only. To get one in the Philippines, where the OP is based would mean a private import.

They're great guitars, but instead of Vai tax, the OP would have to pay shipping and other taxes...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 AM

At the same price point, I would buy a Prestige over any Premium model.

The RG655 is available in Aus, and should be available in the Philippines too....and if you have money to burn, the JCRG20146 J Custom limited is also available in Aus (so might be available in the Philippines).
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
At the same price point, I would buy a Prestige over any Premium model.

The RG655 is available in Aus, and should be available in the Philippines too....and if you have money to burn, the JCRG20146 J Custom limited is also available in Aus (so might be available in the Philippines).
All the whammy equipped Prestige RGs on the Philippines' section of the Ibanez website are Zero equipped, I didn't look in the shops...

But, yes, if you can find an Edge equipped Prestige model, that's where the smart money would go. Personally I don't like the Edge Zero, and would think seriously before buying a guitar with one.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 AM

When Rich says its OK to buy a 70V, I may consider buying one from him. Until then, there is ZERO chance of me buying one from anybody, no matter the price.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi there folks! Thanks for the replies.

I can get a jem70v for 51k philippine peso which is around 1200 USD.

HEY! That RG655 sounds good! I'll get that one if I can find one locally. I may also opt to buy out of the country however, I don't have credit card to pay it.

I would also like to try the pickups that will came with 655. if it's priced around $1200, then that's pretty heck of a deal! given that the only differences would be the color, monkey grip and the lion's claw, the vine inlay, but one being a prestige!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Box View Post
As an aside, this bit on the Ibanez website for the Prestige line is quite convincing marketing.

ibanez.co.jp/usa/news/f_products/2014/prestige/what.html
This is the only thing that inclines me to prestige models hahaha! Never liked the edge zero w/ zps so the only thing that may knock me off a jem would be a prestige with edge or lo pro edgetrem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
All the whammy equipped Prestige RGs on the Philippines' section of the Ibanez website are Zero equipped, I didn't look in the shops...

But, yes, if you can find an Edge equipped Prestige model, that's where the smart money would go. Personally I don't like the Edge Zero, and would think seriously before buying a guitar with one.
Exactly my thoughts Even with the japanese site, I can only see edge zero equipped prestiges and j.customs.

EDIT:
I've called the store that handles ibanez here, and they said that they have placed some 655 on order. And they have yet to get the price for it. They'll call me once they got the stocks!!!

I'M A HECK OF AN EXCITED GUY RIGHT NOW!!!!

Last edited by opencoke; 06-09-2014 at 05:26 AM.

Tags
ibanez , jem70v , prestige , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode