Jem 777 Fingerboard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Talking Jem 777 Fingerboard

I know this will probably sound VERY stupid but... I'm wondering if the Maple of my jem's fingerboard is varnished or not (i don't even know if this is the right term to call it).
I'm asking this because usually 'varnished' (if this is the right word ) fingerboards are shiny, while mine is not (maybe because it's old.. I don't know).
An answer to this could be helpful in order to clean it in the right way!

P.s. here is a picture of it: http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showi...i=745&catid=19 Here you can see my marvellous foot so... enjoy the picture!
P.p.s. Sorry for the bad english!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM
NSR

Re: Jem 777 Fingerboard

An amazing example of a shocking pink model...very nice!

Some *may* have had a light finish on them, but I cannot be certain as I've never owned one from new. I have one just yours but it was (before I bought it) professionally finished on the back of the neck as well as the fretboard. It may not sound like a smart or a nice thing to do and I was skeptical about it too, until I picked it up and wow! That's not to say everyone else would like it, but it sure is a nice contrast to an unfinished (or finish-worn) maple fretboard, which I equally adore.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable that the neck and fretboard on mine have been refinished, as it will be extremely difficult to stain or mark the fretboard. Stains and marks are a major concern when you have something like this that's in near mint condition and is over 20 years old. It still feels extremely good and plays extremely well too.

Seriously though, if you're considering doing the same as mine and getting the fretboard refinished, think long and hard about doing so as you may reduce it's value. Quite considerably if it's not done well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your advices NSR!!! Do you have any suggestion on how to clean it (I still mean the freatboard) in the state she's now?!?!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
NSR

Well it looks really clean already. But having said that, it's not always possible to see certain aspects in a picture.

You could try Naptha which is found in most lighter fluids - not gas! You will also need a big roll of polishing cloth that is very soft, non-abrasive and you can tear off from the roll quite easily. An auto-care or hardware shop is a good place to go for this type of polishing cloth.

Put a little lighter fluid on a piece polishing cloth (something very soft and non-abrasive). Gently clean the fretboard by rubbing the polishing cloth on it. When you're finished, wash your hands! Leave it for about 15 minutes to make sure it's all evaoprated. Give it a dry wipe down to make sure any residue is removed with a new piece of polishing cloth. Assuming you don't have a finish on the fretboard, get some fretdoctor (or similar bore oil - not lemon oil!) and put a couple of drops on a yet another new piece of polishing cloth and rub it all over the fretboard. Use sparingly as you'll likely only need about 5-6 drops for the entire fretboard. You probably should use bore oil at most once or twice a year.

Once you've gotten it as clean as you want (or can), get into the habit of cleaning down the fretboard (and other metal bits such as the top of the trem, neck plate, etc) with a cloth and it should stay in that condition for quite some time.

Tags
jem 777 sk fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode