JEM 777DY - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
JEM 777DY

Morning fellow JEM nuts! As I sit here drinking coffee waiting for the hour to be ok to phone people, I have come across a local selling a 777DY. The photo provided is sub par. His reply to email query was less than stellar. I think he must be getting spammed by bots or tire kickers. In a nutshell he tells me to piss off unless I phone him, so that's why I'm sitting here waiting. In the mean time is there anything I should be looking for in particular on this model? I asked the standard questions like, hi res pics front and back. Is it original, does the original case and hardware come with it. Other than that, pending some hi res pics all I can do is sit here and drink coffee. Oh the asking price is $1500 US dollars, which I believe is in the ballpark for a decent example, I would not expect mint at this price. Am i correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Re: JEM 777DY

Give the guy a call and see what he says. Maybe he'll send you more pics. You should expect a decent, not mint example at that price.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Well that guitar has been sold.

Here's some pics of a local guy with what appears to be a mint condition JEM 77FP. He says he's the original owner. Man it sure looks good from the pics.

I think his price might be a little strong at $2300.00, but she is a looker.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...z/P1010047.jpg

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/...z/P1010037.jpg
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Great guitar, but not sure I'd drop $2300 on her.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
Great guitar, but not sure I'd drop $2300 on her.
My thoughts exactly. I guess this goes back to the old argument, would I pay that if I really wanted it. I'm looking to pick up my second JEM, but damn I always find or like the spendy ones. Any thoughts or opinions on the price, or better yet some advice on places I should be looking for JEM's. I of course know eBay, CL and of course here. Anywhere else I should be looking? I know Rich has a website and I'm going to contact him and fill him in on my wants/needs.

I can't say thanks enough for having a community like this for the novice fanatic like myself.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Reviews: 2

WOW PEZZ, You've really got the fever haven't you......lol. Is the dink in the VWH killing you that badly............lol.

That guy is selling his FP in Jemsite classifieds now. Here it is:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/ib...-a-107661.html

I don't want to offend anybody, but $2300 is WAY too high without a lot more hi-res pics and maybe some history........... just my two cents.
Ryc
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM

Reviews: 2

well, since 2007 "The Marshall" has only ever posted in the classifieds, so I guess I don't have to worry about offending him here.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

$2300 is a bit high for a 77FP. I'd wait until something better comes up. I'm also usually put off by members that come here only to post in the classifieds--makes me a bit nervous!

post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
WOW PEZZ, You've really got the fever haven't you......lol. Is the dink in the VWH killing you that badly............lol.

That guy is selling his FP in Jemsite classifieds now. Here it is:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f31/ib...-a-107661.html

I don't want to offend anybody, but $2300 is WAY too high without a lot more hi-res pics and maybe some history........... just my two cents.
Ryc
Yeah lol I have way to many guitars but I keep shopping. He also has a crazy 80's destroyer with a funky paint job for sale. I'll keep looking, I really would like a model with pyramid inlays anyhow.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 AM

Have you tried to talk to the seller? Offer him a little less cash for a quick sale? I picked up my 7vwh for $1100 AUS, knocked $400 off!
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Well your DY should be on the way to me

Here's a pic that the seller snapped when he took it to ship it off.

I paid him the $1500 asking price which seemed more than fair given the recent prices of Jems. I saw a very comparable guitar go for $1850 on e-bay right around Thanksgiving, but saw them for significantly less a few months prior. For $1500, here's what appears to be wrong with the DY: edge chip near tone knob, side chip near rear strap button, non-original strap buttons, neck pocket finish cracks, missing original case, faded pickups, two missing fine tuners, missing truss rod cover/screws, missing rear cover/screws, missing trem arm, pickguard screws rusted, unknown trem condition.

I was really not very concerned about the hardware issues. I can replace all that for cheap. I was mostly concerned with the body having a minimum of chips and having them in inconspicuous locations, headstock logo in good condition and a clean fretboard. I think I succeeded.

As far as your FP and Jems in general, I think that the asking price is too high. It appears to be worth more than many FP's out there, but not that much more. My suggestion is to be patient and see if better deals come along. I'm not exaggerating when I say that prices went through the roof right around Thanksgiving. I moved on the DY because a 777VBK that I wanted went for over $2100 and there was no way I was paying that. Wait to see is the holiday fever cools down and maybe prices will come back to reality. In the fall, I saw several FP's go for around $1400. I bought this one in September for $1400 on e-bay.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Isn't that the FP you got with the funds from selling your Voyager and selling me the 77VBK? I seem to recall you going after a sweet deal right around then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Well your DY should be on the way to me

Here's a pic that the seller snapped when he took it to ship it off.

I paid him the $1500 asking price which seemed more than fair given the recent prices of Jems. I saw a very comparable guitar go for $1850 on e-bay right around Thanksgiving, but saw them for significantly less a few months prior. For $1500, here's what appears to be wrong with the DY: edge chip near tone knob, side chip near rear strap button, non-original strap buttons, neck pocket finish cracks, missing original case, faded pickups, two missing fine tuners, missing truss rod cover/screws, missing rear cover/screws, missing trem arm, pickguard screws rusted, unknown trem condition.

I was really not very concerned about the hardware issues. I can replace all that for cheap. I was mostly concerned with the body having a minimum of chips and having them in inconspicuous locations, headstock logo in good condition and a clean fretboard. I think I succeeded.

As far as your FP and Jems in general, I think that the asking price is too high. It appears to be worth more than many FP's out there, but not that much more. My suggestion is to be patient and see if better deals come along. I'm not exaggerating when I say that prices went through the roof right around Thanksgiving. I moved on the DY because a 777VBK that I wanted went for over $2100 and there was no way I was paying that. Wait to see is the holiday fever cools down and maybe prices will come back to reality. In the fall, I saw several FP's go for around $1400. I bought this one in September for $1400 on e-bay.

post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Wow! The FP looks great! The guy that sold you the DY is the same guy that was selling the blue floral JEM I looked a few weeks past. I am not biting on the FP. Too much money for me. It's funny how it works, people place an emotional value on items and then don't care if they sell or not, I'm just as guilty. In this case I don't think it's emotional value though, just seeing high prices etc, more like hoping for the biggest windfall, and since he only posts here in the classifieds he's not really a true fan and is only a dealer so to speak. I'll keep looking, and I'm going to get in contact with Rich after I establish exactly how much I want to spend etc. You guys are a huge help, thanks again! I'm sure you'll see a new post from me soon about another one I found! If I were to make an offer my take would be to offer $1500 and not a penny more in case anyone was wondering. The FP is not as rare as these guys make them out to be. Popular yes, rare no. Of course looking at the prices that older gibby les paul's bring just astound me, that and the fact that people are willing to shell out that type of cash!
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Isn't that the FP you got with the funds from selling your Voyager and selling me the 77VBK? I seem to recall you going after a sweet deal right around then.
I think so. I had a lot of guitars come and go the last few months
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thought I'd update this thread as well. I've been in contact with Rich, who has been extremely helpful in sharing his experience and offering me a few different ideas on JEMS. I was also considering an rg3550 but it seems most folks in the rg forums have hands down po-po'd it because of the trem. I thought the yellow was great. My search continues and Rich has several models of interest to me. I'll let you guys know what winds up being delivered to the doorstep.

Tags
777dy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode