Jem 777VBK Jem logo - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Jem 777VBK Jem logo

Just bought my Jem nr 11 (fifth 777). Just wonder if there are devation of the position of the logo on the headstock. This logo seems to be placed very near the nut.

The add:

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/ibanez-J...:X:RTQ:BE:1123

Last edited by Stensen; 02-22-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Re: Jem 777VBK Jem logo

Thats funny you ask. I asked this similar question over a year ago, and got zero response. Below is my original question and the magazine cut I was referring to. My only guess is they had two different suppliers of the logo. Most have the "I" perpendicular to the D tuner, but some were longer.

Original message:

The other day I was sure I spotted a fake JEM, but of all the things I spotted, they were all justified by other members. Anyway, one of the things was the placement of the headstock logo. The guitar in question had a longer logo than all the other JEMs I referenced.

But, Looking at this old magazine cut, The SK and the RB have what I see on most JEMs, but the other 3 have a longer Logo which have them starting closer to the truss rod cover. So now I see that factory ones can come with either logo, and its not a repro logo.

Is there any rhyme or reason behind the two different logos, or is it just two different batches that were made differenly back then?

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Weird, I never noticed that in that old catalog. That's the '89 catalog correct? I've never seen a "long" logo on a Jem. The only post-1987 guitar I was aware that had it was the '90 JS.

I've had two different VBK's, a '90 and a '91 and both had the typical "short" logo. Honestly I'm kind of wary of the logo on that guitar. The color looks too green and the Jem looks too bold. For reference, both of the VBK's I had as well as my GMC, which is basically the same logo.

VBK S/N 903988

VBK S/N 917110

GMC S/N 917584

The logo should be blue-greenish.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM

Reviews: 3

The position of the first vbk logo and the js are exactly the same. The green colour variations may be induced by the room light/flash when the pic was shoot. In my opinion it seems legit and may be one of the first batches with the longer logo around 89. Match the serial numbers of the first vbk with the serial numbers of the other teo to confirm that.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

The serial number on the neckplate is 917078
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Reviews: 3

I ve seen all the catalogs and there is a lot of inconsistency referring to the Ibanez decal. I have arrived to the conclusion that there are no two but THREE decals (see the 89 catalog):

1_ An small one (see the LNG that Steve holds on the 87 catalog, the SK of the 89 catalog or the DY of the later catalogs).

2_ A big one like the one that your VBK has (see the 89 catalog VBK and PBK)

3_ A medium one as the Takin a Ride VBK's and GMC (see the Rb and vdy of the 89 catalog)

Although the MEDIUM one is the most used, there are models that show different sized decals on the catalogs (for example in the 87 catalog tha LNG that is holding Steve has a small one, but in the pic where the three neons are together all of them show the medium sized one). There are FP's and BSB that show the small one in the catalog but were shipped with the medium ones (at least mines) or VDY with the medium one in one cattalog and the big one on another. That inconsistency affects the UV's too (there are PWH with the small one in the catalog but mine has de medium one, there are BK with the big one and so on...).

To sum up: no rule can be applied to the Ibanez decal in terms of model or year of manufacture at least attending the Ibanez catalog.

Maybe some gurus can enlighten us about that...
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=185&now=2

Now i am more shure of that the 1991 777VBK shipped to me yesterday is real deal.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stensen View Post
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=185&now=2

Now i am more shure of that the 1991 777VBK shipped to me yesterday is real deal.
I suspect there were about a 100 indicators proving that was the case rather than just worrying about the logo.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM

I still only see two lengths, either the "I" in inline with the "D" tuner, or the longer one where its inbetween A & D but close to A.

The only odd thing I see about your decal Stenson, besides the bold "JEM" is the truss rod cover is practically touching the check. And looking at longer decals liek some VDYs there is space.

You can see almost every JEM from the catalogs in this one thread here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sta...-thread-2.html
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Just of curiosity. What is the top 5 things you will point out from the ebay add to proove that the VBK is real.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM

I'm not doubting that the guitar is legit, I'm doubting that the logo is original.

I've just never seen a logo like that on any Jem. The stuff in the catalog is news to me. Also, the same guitar pictures were often used in more than one year.

Non-original logos are always really easy to spot. The easiest way is the size of the "Jem" part of the logo. The factory script is too fine to reproduce as a decal, so they make it bigger. The letters are always too tall and the lines are too thick. That's what this logo looks like to me. And the stripe doesn't even reach the end of the headstock.

Also, the original logo will be paint on top of the clearcoat and will always have a matte finish. You should be able to tell if the logo is a sticker.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Well lets see when i have the guitar in one week. My theory is that the logo has been a bit misplaced at the factory, and that the picture is a little bit out of focus that makes the letters look a bit bold.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Here you go with the closeup of the headstock next to a real Jem logo.

I guarantee you that the logo on the VBK is not original. Jem font is a dead giveaway as an aftermarket decal.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 09:16 AM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I agree with Takin. Look at this decal from another thread on this site for a refinished headstock with sticker:

And that's from this thread:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/we...irl-78124.html

Looks very close, eventhough it's a different neck. Maybe the previous owner jsut wanted the head refinished at one point.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I hope that the guitar body not have been repainted. If it has i don't want this guitar in my collection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode