Jem 777VDY - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Jem 777VDY

Hi all, i have recently added to my collection with a jem 777vdy. it is in fair condition and that is fine as it will be gigged often. but when i pulled it apart i noticed it had some shims in the neck. i took them out and it was impossible to set the guitar up, or get the action low enough. and the neck is straight. so after putting them back in i have a terrible lack of sustain. has anyone come across this or have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Re: Jem 777VDY

first pictures....do you realy have a jem?hahaha....yes we can help you.thats for sure.but how?yes another vdy owner..you don;t see them very often!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Assuming you didn't tinker with anything else (and I'll bet you did - go on, admit it - you'd pulled the neck off, so you probably pulled everything else apart as well - that's usualy what I do when I first get a guitar.......), all I can suggest is that you either haven't replaced the shims exactly as the were, so they are stopping you from properly seating the neck and tightening the neck screws adequately, or, for some other reason the neck screws aren't tightening correctly, so the neck isn't sitting correctly, hence lack of vibration transmission, hence loss of sustain.

Curiously enough, I also have a "beater" VDY, so we can account for at least two in Australia (and I know of t least one more in Sydney) - it is my favourite JEM playability wise of the three I have - but here as the issue with mine (which might give you a couple of things to check) - I took it to my favourite luthier here in Sydney (Piers Crocker - genius) for a fret level due to much buzz - he said a fretshave was a waste of time due to not only a twist in the neck, but the fact that half the frets were falling out of the neck! A real contributor to buzz and loss of sustain! It also gave me an excuse to fit 6100 fretwire, which has made it a dream to play. When Piers was reassembling the guitar after the refret, he found out that almost every screw on the guitar was loose - the machine heads, the locking nut, the neck screws prior to removing the neck - the guitar was basically falling apart! So, check all them screws - loose locknut fixing screws can cause loss of sustain, as well as disastrous tuning issues.

The VDY is now a fantastic guitar, I love it, and I'm pretty sure you'll seriously dig yours when you iron out the issues!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 05:58 AM

And hurry up with those pics
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:00 AM

this thread is worthless without pics.....

LOL

Congrats by the way
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:14 AM

I'll agree with checking all the screws on the guitar, but please take into account that most of them bolt on wood or ar in direct contact with wood which can be sensitive, so do not overtighten them. This could cause more damage than a loose one.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
I'll agree with checking all the screws on the guitar, but please take into account that most of them bolt on wood or ar in direct contact with wood which can be sensitive, so do not overtighten them. This could cause more damage than a loose one.
True true - although you are more likely to strip the head of a screw than the wood in Maple, Basswood is the exact opposite.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
And hurry up with those pics
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_72 View Post
Hi all, i have recently added to my collection with a jem 777vdy. it is in fair condition and that is fine as it will be gigged often. but when i pulled it apart i noticed it had some shims in the neck. i took them out and it was impossible to set the guitar up, or get the action low enough. and the neck is straight. so after putting them back in i have a terrible lack of sustain. has anyone come across this or have any suggestions?
these 777dy and 777vdy have bad reviews.personaly i like them but they are supposed to be the worst jems every made just what i heard
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
these 777dy and 777vdy have bad reviews.personaly i like them but they are supposed to be the worst jems every made just what i heard
Nah, that is complete rubbish - The VDY scored very low on the Jemsite list because the author hates the yellow vine on Rosewood fingerboard - I will admit it is pretty garish, but a yellow vine on Maple would be almost invisible - the other cool thing about VDYs, and the uber-rare VSK is that they have a Wizard neck, not a JEM neck, and much as I have a personal preference for baseball bat necks, mine feels really good (especially after replacing the original frets with railroad track sections) - the actual guitar is pretty much a 777VBK in every other aspect. My only possible beef about mine is that the neck pocket/neck joint has a gap on the low E side that I can use as a convenient spare pick holder - not pretty, but surprisingly it doesn't seem to affect stability at all.

They are great feeling guitars, and I am still seriously jonesing for a VSK!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Congrats! And yeah, pics please.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Banned

i love these early jems especially the loud coloured ones.ive got a 777vbk but the so called experts say its boring looking and not very collectable.experts my ass i wouldnt part with my vbk at any price.well done mate on your vdy id stop a bullet to get my hands on one

Last edited by rob777vdy; 09-24-2007 at 09:46 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

ok here is a pic with a couple of its sisters. before the purists get upset about the emg's the paf pros and wiring have been carefully stored so i can return it to its former glory!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSCF1044.jpg
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Reviews: 6

Congrats
Very nice
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

oh and the body and neck are even signed by steve vai!

Tags
fret level , jem neck , locking nut , neck joint , neck screws , paf pro , paf pros , rosewood fingerboard , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ibanez jem 777vdy
ibanez jem 777vdy
ibanez jem 777VDY
Jen 777vdy vine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode