jem 77fp 2001 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

jem 77fp 2001

Hi i really want to get a jem always liked them very different to my type of guitars i have a white falcon and a few les pauls but i just live jems! iI have found a 2001 model fp looks very very clean it is up for (uk) ₤1600 is that a good price or a bit high they dont come up very often in shops so hard to get a good idear of pricing is this a good model to get i see some 7wh on ebay go for around ₤1200-1400 is the fp worth the extra what do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 AM

Re: jem 77fp 2001

A good FP is a great instrument and one to hold on to if you get the right one. Take some time to look around when considering your budget, there'll be the usual mix of 'players' and case queens. What are you looking for?

The reissued FP (around 2003?) seem to have been pretty good quality one from what i've read although plenty of folk on here can help with good advice. They do come up fairly regularly as well. Price seems a bit high but if it's a good one and you like it...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Being a VERY happy owner of a 15th FP (bought from the mighty Rich) I must say they are extremely nice instruments. Craftmanship is top (even if I had the chance of the Rich touch) but for example absolutely NO filler at all for the inlays, just perfectly done. They play very very nice too, and as for myself I actually prefer the very low profile Edge Pro to other trems, including the low-pro (which is still a little higher in profile) and the Edge (whale tail).

1600 pounds GB seems to be a good price for a 77FP, but I, personnaly, would suggets to hunt down a 15th (if you like the Edge Pro)

Of course, condition matters. Rich has one for sell in very good condition (you can trust him) for 2875 dollars (=about 1850 pounds). If you can afford the extra 250 pounds, I'd highly suggest you get it from Rich, as at leats, you'll be sure it's in perfect working condition.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm

Anyhow, bottomline, those are great instruments, IMHO the 15ths are way better done the the original 77 (if you like the Edge Pro) and hard to come by .... the vwh will be an easy find for decades to come is my guess ...

Good Hunting

Disclaimer : I do NOT work for Rich or take percentages, lol, but really up to several hundreds $ more on some instruments at Rich are well worth it, and in the end you do get best value for money
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtc3 View Post
Hi i really want to get a jem always liked them very different to my type of guitars i have a white falcon and a few les pauls but i just live jems! iI have found a 2001 model fp looks very very clean it is up for (uk) ₤1600 is that a good price or a bit high they dont come up very often in shops so hard to get a good idear of pricing is this a good model to get i see some 7wh on ebay go for around ₤1200-1400 is the fp worth the extra what do you guys think.
Hi,

To be honest, with the market the way it is at the moment i'd say 1600 is a little bit pricey for a Jem 77 FP, unless it is in absolute mint condition, and/or you just absolutely have to have it LOL.
As has already been pointed out, price will be dependant on condition (sorry to state the obvious).

In my opinion, a fair price for a good/very good conditon Jem 77 FP at the moment (online auction price) is in the region of 1100 - 1300 (ish). You could possibly even pick up a well played and damaged one for less than 1000 on a good day. (based on recent completed item prices on evilbay).
You'll obviously pay a bit more from a dealer, but this is only meant as a current rough guide and purely from my own recent experience.

These aren't just figures i've plucked from nowhere...i very recently bought one (approx. 5 weeks ago) having watched the market for a number of weeks/months. (see pics below)

This is a 2001 model, Good/Very good condition (arguably excellent/near mint cond.), just has a couple of very minor edge dings (repaired) that are hardly noticeable and came with Ibanez Hardcase and tools etc (bought from fleabay, evilbay etc, and within the UK):

I won't say exactly how much i paid for it, but put it this way, it was only just into 4 figures ()....but considering it came with free postage, in reality it cost me a high 3 figure sum !!!!
As you can imagine, i was well pleased with this deal, but i simply just got very, very lucky with this one!!!

It should have really gone for at least 200 more than it did in my opinion...but nobody else bid after i'd put my Maximum price in, and it just went up to the next default figure.
I can only assume it was because it finished at 08:30(ish) on a Saturday morning.....i set my alarm clock, put in a last minute bid and it paid off bigtime :-)

With all that in mind, i appreciate that this is probably a bad example to use as a price guide, but i've added the above info to show that they are out there if you look hard enough and get lucky....

...So my advice would be to just keep your eye out and be patient.

Hope this helps,
Snakeman

P.S. No, i don't want to sell this one thanks, not even for a profit :-)

P.P.S. If you are currently selling an FP please don't be offended by the prices i've quoted in this post. I don't wish to undermine any prices/values, just speaking from my recent experience!!!

Last edited by snakeman4968; 12-16-2010 at 09:15 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 39

Damn snakeman, that is so minty I can taste it over the internet...

On your note of "deal breakers" though; I paid WELL UNDER fair market for my super minty PGM301. Sometimes you deal, sometimes you steal, and sometimes you pay top dollar; again - it's all in how much you are willing to pay. Supply and demand can play havok on pricing. Right now Mesa IIC+ pricing is getting rediculous. It can fluctuate between $1500 (old legit prices) for no options, to up to $5000 for all the options (rediculous); and THEY ARE SELLING AT THAT PRICE POINT!

The question in the end is - how bad do you want it?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 AM

Reviews: 4

snakeman4968, what a beautiful instrument you have there...If I were to ever own a Jem, I always said it would be a floral of some sort...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 AM

Reviews: 1

1600 seems to be a bit of a high side. As snakeman4968 said they are in 1000-1300 region depends on the condition of course. Not long ago the minty 15th from Korea winning bid is 950 with free shipping. So with VAT and important tax, you are looking around 1200.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 AM

Price depends on market fluctuations. I bought a '91 FP in just about as good of shape as the guitar above back in September for $1400 US. At the time, I was actually concerned that I paid too much as I saw a couple guitars go for less and I was in fact the only bidder on mine.

But in the past month, prices have gone gone way up. I've seen worse examples than my guitar go for $1800 US. Not sure about the UK, but right now seems to be a good time to be a seller if you have an FP.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys i do think 1600 is to high if the shop was closer i would have a good look and try to get it for 1300ish.But they do look so sexy.to add to my dilemma my local shop just called they got a prs 20th custom22 blue Matteo just come in i can have it for 1400!!!! un played condition might have to get that and wait for a jem to come up at a better price
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
But in the past month, prices have gone gone way up. I've seen worse examples than my guitar go for $1800 US. Not sure about the UK, but right now seems to be a good time to be a seller if you have an FP.
Yes, i must admit the prices appear to be getting a bit better, but i still feel at the moment it is more of a buyers market than a sellers market, with all Jems.

It's so sad, this credit crunch seems to have messed up the prices of a lot of valuable collecters items, including Jems.

One thing i just also wanted to add at this point......having re-read my original post, i just wanted to make it clear that i was by no means gloating about the deal i got, but appreciate it may well have come accross that way.

Basically, i've been on both sides of the coin with regard to buying and selling Jems for silly prices. Back in 2006, i had a Jem 77 FP in mint condion, a 77 BFP in VGC, and an excellent condition 777VBK (which i believe i sold on here, hence my trader rating of '1').........then i got made redundant and sold them all for silly prices as i was desperate for the money...Can't remember the exact figures, but i know the BFP went for 650.00 !!!!!

So, it's all turned full circle for me...having had to sell my stuff cheap due to circumstances, i am now in a position to replace them at a bad economic time.

Probably didn't need to put all that info in, but the last thing i'd want is for people to think i was a gloating, arrogant git for getting such a nice 77 FP for such a good price :-)

Later,
Snakeman
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Hay snakeman good on you for getting one at a good price thats the name of the game!
my heart says get it but my head says it to much.I am very good at selling a bargain but never buying one!! I sold my mesa lonestar on ebay got 850 for it the guy got the deal of the year!! the guy in the shop with the prs has a mint 777vbk but wont sell it as it might be worth something one day shame i would love a 777vbk
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Hay snakeman good on you for getting one at a good price thats the name of the game!
my heart says get it but my head says it to much.I am very good at selling a bargain but never buying one!! I sold my mesa lonestar on ebay got 850 for it the guy got the deal of the year!! the guy in the shop with the prs has a mint 777vbk but wont sell it as it might be worth something one day shame i would love a 777vbk
Hi Rob,

Hmm....Jem 777VBK is a bit of a sore point for me at the moment LOL.

One finished on that well known auction site last Sunday morning...i was very, very interested and knew it was due to finish at 10:43...but sadly i mixed up AM with PM.

I set out for work at 05:45, finished work at noon, and as soon as i got home i logged on to see how the bidding was going. I'd been and umming and ahhing for days as to when i was going to put in my maximum bid of 1100.00.

Anyway, You can probably guess the rest...it actually finished at 10:43 AM (while i was at work) not 10:43 PM...and just to add insult to injury, it finished at 900.00 with only 1 bid.....DOH!!!

Gutted, that'll teach me to leave my bids until the last day and not read the finish time properly!!!

As i've already said, decent Jems are out there for silly money (in my opinion), so just be patient and you could be rewarded.

Snakeman
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

i was looking at that one to i was pissed off i missed it.I would have liked that for 900!!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
i was looking at that one to i was pissed off i missed it.I would have liked that for 900!!!!
LOL,

I would have still liked it for the 1100 i was planning on bidding....so i would probably have outbid you anyway, if it's any consolation :-)

I've had so many near misses lately and that 777VBK was just the latest one of them.

One recent example was an excellent/near mint Jem 7 VWH, 2003 ebony fretboard etc.....i was going to bid 1150+, but it was collection only (from Yorkshire, i live on the south coast and can only ride a motorbike so can't collect).

The seller just simply wouldn't post it (due to a previous bad experience...probably bad packing to be honest), despite my desperate pleas...well, that one finished at just 890.00 !!!

In retrospect, i could have got the train to Yorkshire to collect it and still got it for a good price inclusive of the train fare !!!

As for now, i keep finding myself looking at that Jem 7 VSBL...i'm not a great fan of the sparkle blue to be honest and would prefer a VWH, but that said, i do love the blue vine on the neck.
The price has been dropped from 1300 'buy it now', to 1100, but the same problem as usual...it's collection only (or sort out your own courier)!!!

Maybe i should start looking into return train fares to Dover LOL

Later
Snakeman
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking of that blue one but just can bring my shelf to pay 1150 for a jem i am not sure i really like the neck just not the blue body.I am having the same problem i live on the south coast and cant be botherd to drive to far to get one and like you say a lot of people wont post it a right pain.the fp i like is at world guitars i might have to drive up there after xmas try and get a deal out of them if i buy a matchless as well should get the price of the jem down a bit!!

Tags
jem77fp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode