Jem 77FP & Jem 7DBK.......Buy which one? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Jem 77FP & Jem 7DBK.......Buy which one?

I want to get a Jem again.
I have a Jem 77BFP already, but I want one with rosewood board.

Jem 77FP & Jem 7DBK

Which one you perfer me to buy? Why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:23 PM

consider pickups at this point.. breed or paf pros... guess you already got paf pros in the 77BFP so you either go for the 77fp for the vai classic look with a sound your familiar with a new industrial look with the breeds for something different... Personally I'd get a 7vwh
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:40 PM

Depends on what you want more.I had a BFP jem already and didn't like the tone of it at all.IT was a veyr thin sounding guitar even compared to my newer RG's .IF you like the sound of it then a floral pattern will sound similar although not exact.THe neck profile should be pretty much the same unless I am mistaken.

THe DBK is decent but I don't like what the finish does to the tone.I kind of agree with the above remark that you might go with the one that has hte pickups that you prefer.THe DBK may offer you more contrast to your BFP than the FP will.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:50 PM

i'll go for both, but i will start with the FP
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:38 AM

FP all the way! It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I've said it here before: I have my favs in the JEM/Universe line. Some I don't care for. And a couple that make me say, "WHAT THE [email protected]#$%^&*()" The DBK is one of those. The screwhead inlays are one thing, but that finish... What were they thinking?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 08:04 AM

immagine the dbk with paf pros and pyramid inlays!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredseventh
Er, no. I try NOT to think about theDBK. Period.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 01:43 PM

FP all the way. If you aren't totally satisfied with the sound you can always swap out the PAF Pro's. FPs are beautiful to play and to just hold in your hands.

jim
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:18 PM

ill go out on a limb and place my vote for the DBK.

though I wish I had a FP, i think the DBK is a fine guitar, and a serious workhorse if you need a floating guitar for live work. It will take pretty much any abuse you can throw at it and look as good as new. Plus the breeds are fairly non specific sounding so with a little tweaking and fiddling it will sound like whatever you want. I cant speak for the paf pros, have played em, but not for long enough to really understand the differences between them.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:53 PM

all the dbk needs is a vine inlay and it would be almost as perfect as the 7VWH
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 09:57 AM

I own both and can say that the DBK its my main guitar now.

Sound modern, much more than the FP. The FP looks more "flashy 80's Vai" and more consistant, classic ibanez appeal.

But i play both, period.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo
I cant speak for the paf pros, have played em, but not for long enough to really understand the differences between them.
Breeds sound more agressive, not like Evos, but more than Pafs, and more versatile too like you said. When you play with Pafs and change too Breeds the Paf sound just a little bit muddy to your ears.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGMT
When you play with Pafs and change too Breeds the Paf sound just a little bit muddy to your ears.
I actually thought just the opposite. The PAFs are warm and clean / clear compared to the Breeds which are louder, warmer, but had less clarity. I have the PAFs in a BFP and I owned a DBK for 2 years which had Breeds. And I also think the Evos are far more agressive than the Breeds... but then again, it depends on what your definition of 'aggressive' is. I think 'loud, punchy, crunchy and bright'. But maybe loud, warm and fuzzy is your definition.

-Ben
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredseventh
Er, no. I try NOT to think about theDBK. Period.
dont under estimate the dbk
its amazing guitar

i had the dbk and i have the vwh now
tell you something
i like the sound of the dbk better
and sometimes i like the look better

i love the dbk, its a great axe
go with it, u wont regret!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 10:18 PM

is this a good price for the jem 77fp 15th ann. $1345.00?

Tags
alder body , bfp jem , clean tone , ebony fretboard , heavy metal , jem neck , jem neck profile , mirrored pickguard , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , pearl pickguard , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , rosewood board , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode