Jem 77FP2 Questions - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Leviathus
  • 3 Post By jono
  • 2 Post By The TPS Report
  • 1 Post By handbanana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Jem 77FP2 Questions

Can anyone tell me exactly what kinds of flowers these are on the FP2 Jems? Are they native to Japan? Or, are they just flowers that were imagined and don't really exist as actual flowers?

I saw a video where it was said EVERY on of the FP2 Jems was unique with a different pattern... is that really true? Even the original Jem FP77 only had 27 possible combinations, and many of the photos I've seen of the FP2 seem to have the same floral placements. I find it hard to believe EVERY floral pattern is unique in some way.

And third, has Steve Vai ever actually played the FP2 in concert? I can not find any videos of him using it on youtube, I would be interested to see him play it, if anyone knows of a video where he does, post a link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Vendor

Re: Jem 77FP2 Questions

I don't think you'll find any florists here to say if those are actually from nature but I'd bet they're computer generated and printed especially for Ibanez so they can have control of supply with no infringements.

I haven't checked in a bit but every FP2 has had the exact same pattern in the same placement.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:17 PM

I think the only time i've seen Steve touch one is in the unveiling vid where he pulls it out of a gig bag at jemfest years ago. And the only time i've seen a different pattern is the picture on the Ibanez website or maybe in Vai's rig rundown vid from his home studio where there's 1 or 2 on the wall.

That being said, i love mine....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, it is starting to grow on me a little.

At first I thought it looked weird, and didn't even resemble flowers from a distance...

But the more I watch videos of it, the more it's growing on me.

I don't even know what species of flowers are depicted on the original jem 77fp, maybe they are all out of steve vai's lsd/dmt imagination lol

I think it's cool how the fp2 has small amounts of Red that stand out on the body and neck and continue on the inlays, that's what really ties it together I think.

I wish Ibanez would just do a Japan Jem with painted on Florals of different kinds. It'd be kinda cool to have one with some tulips, pansies and roses or orchids or something.

Orchids would probably be coolest, cause they kinda exotic.

It'd be kinda cool if Japan Ibanez had a online design your own Jem Finish, any color, floral design or swirl you want.

I thought about just buying another 7vWH and having a custom paint shop just airbrush a really cool floral pattern on it and clearcoat it... but people might think that was tacky, or maybe then everyone would just think it was a fake jem, so that would probably be a bad idea, but just a thought.

But it'd be cool to be able to have a Jem/Universe FujiGen Custom Shop where we have way more options.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 PM

I'm with you. I wish Ibanez would take a cue from ESP where they'll make you a Kamikaze IV seven-string, but they're not about that life afaik. I'm just holding out hope for the FP3 to come along one of these days.
jono likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 PM

The Jem77FP2 is a really sweet guitar, so first off congratulations!

The floral pattern is not any specific Japanese flower but a stylized representation of Japanese floral art.

As far as each one being unique, the answer is yes and no. What I mean is the pattern is pretty standard for the front and back of the body and the headstock, but it is placed in slightly different positions on some based on factory runs.

The funny thing is that I haven't ever seen Steve Vai playing one either.

I realized when I got a 30th Anniversary Jem777LG that it is almost the same specs as my Jem77FP2. Yes the Jem77FP2 has a rosewood fretboard, and slightly different pickups(EVO2 in the bridge) and fabric and no Ibanez back-stop, but everything else is the same, woods and neck and bridge and even the neck joints are the same.

Last edited by Cyberseven; 03-28-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I'm just holding out hope for the FP3 to come along one of these days.
I'm starting to sound like a broken record (that's how we used to get music, kids) but a new finish with the latest pickups on this guitar every 2 or 3 years would be my "hunch" for how Steve could rejuvenate this guitar and maybe ven the whole JEM line. Takamine used to have yearly models on their top of the range guitars with special inlay each year for a few years in the 90s. The 77FP is what i consider the best "rolling chassis" for a superstrat, ever and I'm sure there are loads of us still that would agree.

All Steve and Ibanez would have to do is to pick an overall colour scheme, pick a print and choose pyramids or vines or whatever this year, chuck in Vai's latest pickups and email the deatils to Fujigen well in advance, EVERYBODY wins
Leviathus, Cyberseven and TJ777 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
but a new finish with the latest pickups on this guitar every 2 or 3 years would be my "hunch" for how Steve could rejuvenate this guitar and maybe ven the whole JEM line.

All Steve and Ibanez would have to do is to pick an overall colour scheme, pick a print and choose pyramids or vines or whatever this year, chuck in Vai's latest pickups and email the deatils to Fujigen well in advance, EVERYBODY wins
Agreed. If the neck and fretboard specs are identical to last years 777 30th anniversary, I think they'd have a winner. I use my 777 30th as a player since I don't collect guitars and the feel, fit and tone is outstanding. Put the blue floral pattern on it or some other new floral pattern and I start working the budget for one.
Cyberseven and TJ777 like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:28 AM

I have 2. The pattern on the headstock on one is SLIGHTLY different than the other. I've seen some SLIGHT variations of PLACEMENT only - of the SAME pattern, just shifted a few mm left, right, up or down. Really small difference, not enough to convince me that it was even planned; probably just manufacturing tolerances.
Of the 7 or 8 JEMS that I own, and many guitars in total - all top models (no premiums or Jr's), my 2016 77FP2 is the best player, and has the best tone and sustain (even when unplugged).
jono likes this.

Tags
fp2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode