Jem 77v open e string buzzing help - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Jem 77v open e string buzzing help

Hey guys i just bought a jem 77v. And i lowerd the action a little bit and all the strings are fine no buzzing on any frets except for the low e string. it buzzes when i play from the 1st fret to the 13th fret.. but its minor buzzinng and you can only tell when i play clean stuff. Also it buzzes on open notes What can i do to fix this besides bring it in to guitarcenter and have them screw it up and charge me alot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 7
Re: Jem 77v open e string buzzing help

Loosen your truss rod just a bit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbaline View Post
Loosen your truss rod just a bit.
+1 My 7Vwh used to do the same thing....it's all a combination of truss rod and bridge height, and you can't often get away with just tinkering with one when you are fine tuning your action. By the way, I just added a new 77V to my collection last summer.....beautiful guitar, same neck as my 7V. I can't put these guitars down!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot im going to do it tomarrow. Just got back from a gig and WOW dont want to brag but my mesa in my house sounds decent and i play louder in my house than i did at this party and the sound out doors just blew my mind. It sounded better than any rock metal recording i have ever herd. Not joking. and the jem threw it i didnt want to stop playing it was the PERFECT tone, jems are the most addicting guitar i have come in to contact with! and it will be more addicting when i get the buzzing away.

-Steven
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Reviews: 3

1- You need more neck bow loosening the Truss rod as said (that eliminates buzzing from 2nd to 5th fret)
2- Rise the bridge to eliminate buzz from 7 to last fret
3- If with this settings strings are too high on the upper frets the neck may need shimming
4- To elminate the 1st fret buzzing you may need to rise the nut putting a thin half shim under the bass side

Remember that ABSOLUTE NO BUZZING requires High Nut, More Neck Bow and High bridge, which involves HIGH ACTION. You have to set that three elements to find the equilibrium at the lower action wanted. Minimun unplugged fret buzzing on the low strings in some frets (specially upper ones) that is not noticed when plugged it is fine for me.

NOTE: I have find that most Ibanez guitars have a minimum 3th fret Low E string buzzing that is very difficult to set properly. Donīt be stressed about that if it sounds good plugged on the clean channel.

NOTE 2: You can find INSTRUCTIONS to do that settings on the "tech" of this page or at Ibanez Rules. Good luck and let do it to an expert if not sure at any step.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the help. I fixed the open buzzing but there is still buzzing going on but only noticeable on the clean channel.. But i'll deal with it.. I just have one last question. My mtm1 uses 10's strings and the action is lower than the jems and its in c tuning and sometimes in b and there is buzzing only when im not pluged in but when i plug in and play clean you cant even tell there is buzzing.. same thing on my les paul. So why is it the jem thats buzzing? (im using 9's on my jem)..My jems action is the highest of the 3 guitars but it is also the easiest/ fastest to play on and has the most noticable buzzing while pluged in playing clean.. It is only the low E string though, the strings are new and I dont see why it would be doing this. The frets on the MTM1 are higher and wider if that has anything to do with it.. the les paul is around the same height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode