Jem 77V wh and Buzz Feiten System - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
V

Jem 77V wh and Buzz Feiten System

I am going to buy a Jem in the coming month, but I want to solve the questions before I get it. Thanks!

Questions for the Jem 77V wh:

1.Are the frets on the guitar same as the Js1000 BTB? I love the smaller frets!

2.All Steve's guitars have the Buzz Feiten System installed?

3.Actually, what is the Buzz Feiten System? How to install?

4.What is the locking studs? Only the pre 04 model have the locking studs? Why?

5.I found a Jem7V wh with the Buzz Feiten system installed and it cost $2200, 04 brand new.
Do you think it is overpriced?

6.Usually, how much they sell for a normal brand new one?

7.The Jem7V wh comes with a gig bag or hardcase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 10:54 AM
RCB

That 7VWH is completely overpriced. If you buy it you paying about U$$500 more than what it is woth.

Thats the price a JPM90, PGM90, and some other rare and high quility guitars.

You can find a jem90 for about 1800-2000. That should be your chioce if you want a jem. You may even find a jem10 in very good condition for 2500 (not mint, but in very good condition).

Do not buy that 7VWH. If you do, you shouldnt pay more than 1600-1700 (tops) if it is brand new, 1300-1400 if it is in mint condition with HSC
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
a jem90 is not worth $1800-2000 imho. the vwh is a better value and better guitar imho but both classify as "overpriced" ... glen
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
V

Thanks for the reply!

Anyone can answer my question about the Buzz Feiten?
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

search the forum for alot of discussion... glen
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Vendor

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

The guy could be in Pakistan, price is relative to where you're buying.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
You can find a jem90 for about 1800-2000. That should be your chioce if you want a jem.
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that pretty insulting. RCB, you shouldn't be telling people what their choices should be!

To the original questions:

1) The frets are the same (6105s). There's just two more on the JEM.

2) I don't know about Steve's personal models, but if you want the Buzz Feiten system, you'll have to install it yourself. A company in Japan was selling them installed. Naturally, it was discussed here if you do a search.

3) Search for the Buzz Feiten website. I can't tell you.

4) http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

5) I'm not sure if it's overpriced. I don't know what the BF system goes for. They retail for $1800 or so--less (and better) from Rich. You can do the math.

6) Depends on where you buy. Check Ibanez Rules=great price, great set-up and great service. I'd be surprised if Rich wouldn't install the BF system for you if you bought a guitar from him and had the system shipped to him. (I'm not trying to speak for Rich.)

7) Depends, again, where you buy it. MF.com and others will make you pay retail for a case. I don't think you want a gig bag. It's included in Rich's low price.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:47 AM
RCB

Excuse me, but his is asking for advice, and advice is what I gave him. Personally I think its a pretty easy chioce. May be you feel insulted becaus you prefer the (or own) 7VWH . Ive played a lot of jems and Universe, and own quite a few. I feel Im pretty qualified to give my opinion. You may have diferent opinion, you may even dont like it. I really couldnt care less.

You should learn to read, he IS asking for advice between 2 options.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 AM
RCB

I have to correct my sef about something though. I dont know how much the Buss feiten systme goes for, so may be the price for the VWH is not that bad. Im sorry about the price statement.

Nontheless, the fact remains the same. I would choose the 90th over the VWH (not even to mention the 10th) anyday of the week.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM
RCB

Glen/Rich, how much do you think a 90th is worth? I saw them in the 1500-2000 range. Do you think 1800 is overpriced for a mint one?

V, something else to consider. The Jem7VWH has a jem neck while the Jem90 has an RG neck (because the guitar is a derivative of the RG Metal, wich was one of the 1997 J custom).

I have to admit I may be biased by the looks, and the uniqueness of the 90th over the 7VWH. They are both very good.

You have a potencial upside in your investment with the 90th. Today they are not too desired (considfering its a limited anniversary run), but that may change. The 7VWH is never going to be collectible because there are a ton of them.

They are both fine instruments, so that shouldnt be an issue.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Vendor

Just because Glen doesn't think they're worth it hasn't stopped alot of people from paying more for clean ones

The BF isn't a "system", it's a mod where you shave down the end of the fretboard and move the nut closer to the bridge.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

i don't think the 90 at $1800 is a good "investment" by any stretch of the imagination. it also feels more like an RG then a JEM hence my devaluation of it. The clingy finish detract playability. You can buy Prestige RGs w/ a wizard neck for under $800.

The biggest problem for collectors w/ the 90s is too many were made. An RG-Metal would be a smarter "investment" and much rarer axe.

Of course, that won't stop an impulsive buyer with money burning a hole in their pocket from overpaying. When they go to sell they will take a bath... glen
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Vendor

Evidently you're out of touch with the current market, again. 90's have been bringing strong money finally recouping from the blowouts that caused them to plumet to begin with. It's a signature model, it will always have a much greater following than a JC. And finally, they made more 10th's, sure hasn't stopped them from going through the roof
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The BF isn't a "system", it's a mod where you shave down the end of the fretboard and move the nut closer to the bridge.
Or just modify the nut as each string will have a slightly different scale. (With toplocks it might be quite helpful to shave down the end of the fingerboard.)

You must tune each string after one note (ie. E on all strings, not A->A, D->D...) The whole idea is to even out the "faults" caused by tempered tuning.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Evidently you're out of touch with the current market, again. 90's have been bringing strong money finally recouping from the blowouts that caused them to plumet to begin with. It's a signature model, it will always have a much greater following than a JC. And finally, they made more 10th's, sure hasn't stopped them from going through the roof

look at a JEM10 and look at a JEM90. if you need to debate which will sell higher, regardless of production call your optometrist ...glen

Tags
adrian belew , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , andy martin , andy summers , andy timmons , andy timmons model , black headstock , buzz feiten , buzz feiten system , dan erlewine , doug doppler , feiten system , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , fret size , guitar players , jem neck , jennifer batten , kirk hammet , larry carlton , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking studs , phil collen , richie sambora , robben ford , robert fripp , scale lengths , scott henderson , signature guitar , steve vai , stu hamm , tuning system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode