Jem 77VBK - back in the game! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Jem 77VBK - back in the game!

Hey Jemsite!

I've been on and off these boards for quite a while. I usually come back when i buysome cool ibanez gear. However, much like women in my life, i get new guitars all the time and when theres no more space to breathe in my apartment, i say out with the old and in with the new . So anyways, i dramatically reduced the size of my collection a few years ago when i enlisted in the Navy and moved to the west coast. A few years before that, i was proud owner of not 1, but 2 jems. An early 87' Jem777 SK with palm guard and an 89 Jem7PBK. I eventually sold the SK (huge mistake) and PBK along with a large amount of other ibanez's to buy a car. (Still have it and love it, but at this point in my life a car is easier to find than a pristine early production jem).

I've been kicking myself ever since. The only guitars i kept for myself were those that played and sounded best and held less value so i wouldnt mind if they got damaged along the 4000 mile road to the west coast. Fortunately, none of them were damage and they are still in my possession. One of these guitars is an 88 Ibanez RG550 dy that i love to death. Bought it off a fellow on here..

anyways i digress...

So the other day, i stop by my local music chain store to have a look. Normally , all they have is a Jem 7VWH on their wall. It's been there for over a year and its sticker price. It needs a lot of love and i just don't like it as much as the older ones ive had and i know i can get a nice one for cheaper than that. That day was different. There was a 555, which i have no interest in and then they have this other one which i recognize as a 77VBK, but it is tagged as a Jem505. The price is unusually low. It doesn't look used. Little swirls on the pickguard, but nothing unusual for a music store guitar. It wasn't tagged as used, but then again it wasn't a 505 so i inquired further. The price was 1659$. 1000$ less than what they are selling their 7Vwh. I'm sure the 7vwh is more valuable, but i remember seeing that most stores sold the 77vbk was roughly 100-200$ less. So anyways i go home and continue living my life. I can't sleep cause it haunts me. It brings back painful memories of whoring my guitars away for a car. When I awoke the following morning, it became clear. If I didn't take this chance, it might not come again for a while. I also knew I didn't have time to consider it, as I am sure they would eventually figure out that it's not the right model.

I arrive at the store this morning. Guitar is still there (relieved) and the price is still skewed. The salesman informs me they had it transferred from another branch for a customer and it ended up sitting there. (I assumed he asked for a 505. The store threw in a 77vbk cause they left the task to someone who didn't know better. Guitar gets here and the guy never shows up, little did he know he loses out on a great deal as he probably only had the means to buy the 505.). I point out a tiny swirl mark in the pickguard and the man obviously knew where i was going with this, so he drops the price to 1549.00$. I stopped there because i knew if i haggled any more, I'd be going to hell faster lol :P.

So here are some pictures! Enjoy

Last edited by Fender868; 11-27-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: forgot pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Re: Jem 77VBK - back in the game!

cool beans!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Re: Jem 77VBK - back in the game!

You lucky devil!!!
Cool!!!

Tags
505 , 77vbk , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode