Jem 7D for a Les Paul Custom 96 - What do you think ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Jem 7D for a Les Paul Custom 96 - What do you think ?

I got an offer to trade my Jem 7D that i bought in march for a Les Paul Custom 96. I really like my Jem, but i think that can be a good experience.

I'm a bit afraid that i can't like this Gibson.

Help me owners !?!?!?!?

Sorry if it's off topic, but i don't know were to post this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:16 PM
rvj

Jem 7D for a Les Paul Custom 96

They are quite different from one another. Trem, tone, and feel. But if it helps, a Les Paul Custom is about double the price of a DBK. Only you can make this decision. Play both and consider your playing styles.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:24 PM

I once borrowed the "satch-strat" for a gibson les paul studio. And ill have to say, i dont like gibson very mucho. The neck is thick like a baseball bat, and it is the very oposite of comfortable. Thats my thought, i would never make that kind of trade. It's like night and day...
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

rvj, can you tell me how much its a Custom in USA. I bought my 7D for $1350 from Sam Ash NY. I importer frined bring to me (Overpriced, i know, but here one goes for 2K or more)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:29 PM

In sweeden a new DBK goes for 2400$ hehehehehehe
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:53 PM

yeah, it's like a baseball bat neck dude! *i hate gibson! *it's all a matter of taste. *you may love it and wonder why you were with a jem but i doubt it. *you'll be really limited. *you're gonna be stuck with that brown sound tone with a gibson. *there is no locking trem or nothing. *to me it's like trading in a ferrari for a volkswagen beetle....no contest! *and to make matters worse, they make you drive around in that beetle with a flower in the dash like all these yuppies do! *ok, sorry, i really really really HATE those cars and i hate gibson. *but you have to do what you have to do. *i'm only posting here cuz the difference would be totally night and day dude. *OR you could do some homework, find out what you could make on the gibson, do the trade, sell the gibson, and buy another 7dbk and make a little money on the difference.
:biggrin:
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

All right Jay, but the economy is very different !

A Big Mac goes for U$ 1,50
A 2L Coke or 1 Litre Gasoline U$ 0,70
A POD 2.0 goes for $600, the same for Floor Board
The less expensive car in the market (here we say something like a "pop car") $5400

But....

the worst part is that the most people (i mean 100 million or more from a atotal of 160 million) have a salary of less than a 70 dollars.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Shred, you take the point man, but the problem is that here there are so many used Gibsons and Fenders in the market that you can choose various conditions and models. Jems are more rare. GMC are never seen before.
BFP, hummmm, just a little few
FP too
:mc: *Never
:donnie: Never
JS CP, only one.
DNA, only one.

In my city (3 millions hab.), i think there are only mine DBK, because i got many contacts with about 50 or more that are in a "little mainstream of the gigs or studios"

These guitars are so expensive here.

Korean models are predominant. Crappy

(Edited by LGMT at 1:05 pm on Nov. 14, 2001)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:23 PM

TO JAY:
There is a new 7DBK for sale at musikborsen in vaxjo for 1600$!
just so you know.
(My new 7VWH was 3400$)
/KA
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 01:26 PM

I'd say if you can play the Gibson before you do the trade then definately check it out. *I have a Les Paul and a Jem, and they feel and sound totally different. *I love them both though. *What kind of music do you play? *I would have to say the Jem would probably be better for cleaner sounds, if you detune a step or more, then I would go with the Les Paul. *But that's just my opinion, I'm sure lots of people detune the Jems too.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 02:54 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
LGMT on 2:01 pm on Nov. 14, 2001
I got an offer to trade my Jem 7D that i bought in march for a Les Paul Custom 96. I really like my Jem, but i think that can be a good experience.

I'm a bit afraid that i can't like this Gibson.

Help me owners !?!?!?!?

Sorry if it's off topic, but i don't know were to post this
I must say I prefer the JEM over any other guitar, but this trade is kinda unfair for the other side (not for you!). So, if you're sure that you can sell or trade again this guitar in case you don't like it, go for it. The LP worths much more money than a DBK and you can always get a JEM again later.

If you live in (or can go to) So Paulo, I think you should go to Gang Music or Krokodile Pop (great used instruments stores) and ask if they are interested in buying a 96' LP Custom. You may sell them this guitar and get money for a brand new 7VWH!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 03:37 PM

It really depends. *I'm lucky enough to have both a LP and a JEM. *I'd have to say that an LP Custom and a DBK list out to pretty much the same price in my neck of the woods. *Especially if the custom is a plain top. *Plus, there are a million LP Custom's for sale at any given time so you have great a very similar 're-sale'/'trade in' value between the JEM and LP.

Therefore, it's all playability/style. *Keep in mind that the LP just doesn't let you get to the upper register like a JEM. *My favorite part of the LP is that I can string .10's without trem and spring adjustments. *Also, if you don't like baseball necks...don't do it. *

In my house, the DNA sits out on a stand and the LP sits in its case. *
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 08:04 PM

Quote:
vivavai on 7:23 pm on Nov. 14, 2001
TO JAY:
There is a new 7DBK for sale at musikborsen in vaxjo for 1600$!
just so you know.
(My new 7VWH was 3400$)
/KA
huh ?? i thought it said 2400$ on the prize tag. I guess they lowered it again. First it said 1700$, then 2399$ and now 1600$, make up your mind god dammit !! hehehhehee *If i shop in wexio, i shop in helges hla So, who are you VivaVai ??? from Wexio ???
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 08:13 PM

By, the way, i know where to get cheap high end ibanez guitars, here in sweeden you can just cut off about 800$ from some of them... so it's cool...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 10:18 PM
YJM

Sounds like a good trade. I'm speaking from the point of view of an Aussie - In Australia, LPs have far better resale than Jems. An early '90 LP Custom would cost virtually double the RRP of a brand new 7V!

Personally LPs play like cr*p, and they weight like 10 tonnes. But they're cool.

-Bill

Tags
gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul studio , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , les paul studio , music store , peavey wolfgang , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode