JEM-7D vs. Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
TPV

JEM-7D vs. Epiphone Les Paul Standard

I have been playing an EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD for god knows how long, however have always had my eye on the JEM-7D in specific since it came out. I have never played it and am finding it hard to find many unbiased (reseller selling how great it is) articles or reviews about the 7D.

I would much apprechiate as much insight as possible about the JEM7D (I got the specs thx ) as I am thinking about purchasing it.

I would also be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had experience with both the EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD and the JEM7D -Contrast?

Many thanks, cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:18 PM

Well I almost bought a Jem7DBK, I also got to demo it for a few days. After playing it I thought it was an amazing guitar. Maybo one of the best electric guitars I have ever played!! The neck is beautifully smooth to play on and the pickups are really great sounding. I always thought that the Breed's would be kinda weak but I was shown wrong. The trem was also great to play on.
Compared to an RG 3120, I would take the Jem. Compared to an Epiphone, I would take the Jem. I have played many Epiphones having woked in a music store and I could 99% promise you that a Jem7DBK will amaze you and you won't pick your Epiphone up much.
Now, you might wonder as to why I did not buy the Jem. I didn't buy it because it was expensive and I have way to many guitars as it is. But the store it was in carried Tom Anderson, Gibson, high end strats, and a bunch of not so good instruments, and I would have taken the Jem over anything else there. Hope that helped.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 PM

Well, unless you are a Les Paul kind of guy who can't live without the beefy neck, the DBK is worth checking out. Plays very smoothly with a nice thin neck (maybe too thin for me, I'm used to a strat) and a good trem. I only played one for about 10 minutes without plugging in, so I can't tell you much about the sound. What I would do is keep the LP (as their resale values are low enough that selling it wouldn't contribute much to the Jem) and get the DBK. This way you will have both the classic Les Paul vibe and the high performance superstrat available at hand.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 08:33 PM

i have a ec 1000 esp/ltd. probaly a lot similar to the guitar you are talking about. i got a dbk and it is a straight shreder. i don't even look at the other guitar now, the dbk sounds so much better, and plays nicely. didn't take me long to get used to the super thin neck either. trem is fun too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 09:13 PM

I have had my DBK for @ 4 months and since Rich set it up it is absolutley the most monstrous scary nasty best guitar I have ever played. It is a different animal than an Epi Paul for the reasons already pointed out re neck & trem. The dimarzio breeds sound very seriously rockin too. That being said I'm planning on getting a Gibson LP Classic next as they really are different beasts.
I guess my point is that the DBK is extremely versatile and you can get the DBK to do a pretty close rendition of the Les Paul things but you definitley cannot get the Les Paul close to doing the Jem thing.
Get the DBK you won't regret it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:04 AM

You're asking for an unbiased opinion about a JEM vs. a Les Paul on JEMSITE????

Um . . .

Okay . . .

:P

But seriously, I've played a few Jems and Les Pauls in my time and I'd take a Jem over a Les Paul any day. You can simply do more with it.

The Les Pauls have their place, great guitars (Gibson models are insanely over-priced, but that's another discussion) and they do what they do, but in my opinion Jems will do most of what a Les Paul does, most of what a Strat does, and just about everything in between, plus things that only a Jem can do. :-)

Oh, by the way, I DON'T own either, so my opinion is about as unbiased as I guess it can be.

Mic
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 06:25 PM

fairly odd topic - but here's my 2 cents.
i just got a 7DBK a few days ago, my first production Jem, and I'm in love with this guitar!! LP's are great guitars but way too heavy for me to lug around (pretty sad, i know).
i love the finish and features and am still trying to get more time in playing it plugged in (very busy holidays), so i can't give a true review of the tones. i'm getting used to the neck (very thin) and the playability is sooo amazing!!
i can't get over the looks of this guitar!! i find myself getting lost just staring at it!!LOL!!
i would probably buy a Gibson studio LP and will definitely get a double cutaway sometime in the future, but not likely ever buy an Epiphone (great guitar- just would rather have the Gibson version).
play a DBK and you might not put it down or pick up a different guitar!

Tags
dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , double cutaway , electric guitar , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , les paul , les paul standard , les pauls , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode